To ask if any of you are air b&b hosts? I'm not sure whether to do it or not!

(5 Posts)
Flamingo1980 Fri 28-Oct-16 21:49:22

I currently live in a four bed house in a village near brighton. I'm a single mum and a nurse and I currently host students to top up my salary but it's low season so I'm thinking of ways to rent my rooms out.
A housemate doesn't appeal as I feel too long in the tooth to share my house long term with someone. I've enjoyed hosting students as they mostly keep themselves to themselves and it's such short term that they've gone by the time you're fed up with them.
Anyhoo my house is lovely and on the South Downs near the beach etc so I'm thinking about doing air b&b.
Would you recommend it? What are the pros and cons? Any advice? What things should I know?
Thank you in advice all you wise folk of mumsnet!

YelloDraw Fri 28-Oct-16 22:04:20

I've stayed in plenty of airbnbs with where the host also lives there.

I reckon its a good way to make some extra cash BUT you do have to put a fair amount of work into it and you'll have some right idiots coming to stay.

How will you do check in/out - what if they want to arrive at midnight? Leave at 5am? How will that work with your shift?
How will you manage access? Give them a key?
Will you do instant book or not?
Brakfast included? If not, can they use the kitchen?
Own bathroom or shared with family?
Are you prepared to have a natter and be 'host like' with people?
How old are your children? Are they going to be annoying and wake the guests up at 7am screaming for you?

Flamingo1980 Sun 30-Oct-16 08:29:44

Good points! I'm not sure about any of those things so I clearly have a lot to think about. Seems so weird to give your house key to total strangers!
Did you have good experiences being a guest?

Dontaskmegoogleit Sun 30-Oct-16 08:42:03

Guests are rated as well as hosts. So you can always decline guests requests , ams to work around your job you pick the dates your available to welcome them. Hope this helps

Flamingo1980 Sun 30-Oct-16 10:14:25

Ah okay that sounds good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now