To be pee'd off with Freebie takers?

(24 Posts)
Draylon Fri 28-Oct-16 19:16:06

I mean, fgs, I am offering you reasonable stuff for free. On Gumtree Freebies.

I have had 12 replies in less than 24 hours.

The first 3-4, always in within 5 minutes go:

"I want it"
"i tak it form you were you live?"
"pls cal 07******"

Then, over the next few hours, I get:
"Has it gone? I'd like it"
"do you have it?"
"Give me your address"
"Text me on this number 07***"
etc.

But, interestingly, I get:
Them: "Hi, I'd be very interested in this. I can pick up today"- so I go "OK fine, what time?"...<silence>.... me: "I've had a lot of interest, could you tell me what time you can collect?"..... Them: "Can you deliver to 'x'?"; or
Them:" I am local, I can collect", me: " Great, when?"....<silence>...., followed, 12 hours later with "Oh you are too far away". (Having given my effing location and post code in the ad!).

And breathe.

Am giving it to a bloke who works locally, tho even he was a bit "I can collect 2 days hence, but if that doesn't suit, please deliver it to my work at 'x'.."

What is wrong with these people?

And breathe. Rant over.

I'd actually happily give it to a local charity shop except a) I now know how much 'good' stuff they sling; and b) PAT testing means they sling electrical goods, and c) they've pee'd us off in that my 2 DSs, 15 and 17, did voluntary work there, only one as D of E, which he, and his 17 year old DB then carried on with for 6 months because they liked it, not because it won them any accolades or CV'able material; learned the ropes, were happy and popular there; then were told 'Could you go away and come back in 3 months as other volunteers have grandchildren who want to do their D of E here, but they'll leave the moment we sign them off, then we'll have you back' Er- No.

RaptorInaWitchesHat Fri 28-Oct-16 19:23:00

I'm currently in the process of giving away a bedside table.

The person who wants it has so far let me down twice, and at no point has said "please" or "thank you" (no-one else showed an interest, otherwise he wouldn't have made the cut to begin with) or offered any explanation for not showing up.

I tell you, it's easier to just throw stuff away.

TaterTots Fri 28-Oct-16 19:29:26

People who ask 'can you deliver?' should be shot.

ClopySow Fri 28-Oct-16 19:34:48

Oooooooh! I love it and would happily collect, but i doubt you're anywhere near me.

I advertised sofas on gumtree for free. A guy said he'd collect at 8pm. At 9.30 he phoned to say he was about 20 minutes to half an hour away. I told him it was too late, i was trying to get my kids to bed. He was massively pissed off and said he'd come the next night at about 9.30. Again, no, i'll be getting the kids to bed. He hung up on me. Thankfully i got a call from a charity who had a young man who was moving into his first home and had nothing. I was so chuffed it went to someone who needed it rather than some of the grabby bastards you see.

EssentialHummus Fri 28-Oct-16 19:37:23

I love Freecycle, but this drives me bananas. I've taken to writing very specific posts: "...available for collection on Tuesday from 4pm onwards, please include a phone no. in your reply so I can confirm".

I then feel OK ignoring the 80% of timewasters.

Leeds2 Fri 28-Oct-16 19:39:10

If it is any help. British Heart Foundation have lots of furniture centres, and will collect. They also take electricals. Have recently donated a large flat screen TV, and a sideboard with matching TV cabinet and side table. On both occasions, they turned up when promised.

Toomanycats99 Fri 28-Oct-16 19:43:05

I had someone come on a bus to collect 2 bar stools. They were 'on the way' for about 3.5 hours starting from a point about 4 miles down the road!

EssentialHummus Fri 28-Oct-16 19:48:40

Leeds I had a poor experience with BHF. They did turn up on time and they did cart stuff through the upstairs happily, but my god were they fussy. They refused two new - as in, two month old - bed frames and microwaves as they were very, very lightly scratched (as in, if I'd have done a once over with Tippex, they wouldn't have noticed).

I ended up giving most stuff away to BHF, but still having to pay £200 to a local waste collector to cart the rest off, as I was left with random furniture and not much time to give it away.

(This was a branch in Kent, if it makes a difference.)

yougetme Fri 28-Oct-16 19:55:59

I have given loads of stuff away and when i run out of takers I gather it all together as a 'car boot' load. I have yet to be let down and all the random stuff gets collected.
I state that I want it gone for a specific time. Non collections by that time will be offered to the next in line and I do not deliver . Never had a problem.

JellyBelli Fri 28-Oct-16 19:57:14

Pisstakers are the main reason I quit Freecycle smile

Draylon Fri 28-Oct-16 20:04:01

yougetme- do you specify in your original ad when it has to be taken by, or on a replier by replier basis?

Maybe try facebook selling page. I'm sure dog shit would go quickly around here if it was advertised as free thlgrin

charlestonchaplin Fri 28-Oct-16 20:07:42

Some people say you get much more reliable respondents if you put them on eBay or gumtree for 99p. People have paid so they want to collect their bargain.

Wonderflonium Fri 28-Oct-16 20:07:44

I had a long run of people texting "sorry, I can't come collect today. I had to take my daughter to hospital."

JenLindleyShitMom Fri 28-Oct-16 20:13:45

Ok this is what you do.

[Item] for free: available for collection between X-Y time, first to come gets. Once time is up it goes to dump. No delivery available. Will only respond to polite messages requesting address for collection.

Then ignore everything else unless it is a polite message for collection. Respond only with your address. One message, that's it, Do not get into discussions or negotiation on delivery or collection time.

Chewingthecrud Fri 28-Oct-16 20:14:42

Ugh I've just had really similar

Giving away two really great condition armchairs.
Loads of 'text this number....' er no thanks how odd is that?

Then 'I'll take it if you pay the courier' WTAF

Then finally someone who sounded vaguely human who said would have them then getting funny about colour then size then eventually said still wanted but will they fit in their Ford Focus to which I reply 'no I don't think so but we have had one in the back of DH's 4x4 before now to which she said 'great you can deliver it to me then but I'm not in til sunday'

BHF won't take it as no label with fire resistant or whatever it is in it

Will have to take to tip but seems such a shame as great condition really

Maybe MN should do a freecycle section!

MrGrumpy01 Fri 28-Oct-16 20:20:58

wonder I swear I am a bad omen the number of people who they or a family member are suddenly taken ill/rushed to hospital/ car breaks down is quite unreal. I wish people just said they no longer want it/can't be bothered to collect. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt even though they probably are lying.

I have mixed experiences. But sometimes it feels more effort than its worth.

PurpleCrazyHorse Fri 28-Oct-16 20:26:25

Same here, and have just given up bothering. I've since hired three large skips over the last year and found it's less hassle getting rid of stuff that way, at least the skip company come when they say!

raspberrysuicide Fri 28-Oct-16 20:46:18

There is a brilliant charity where I live that gives things to people that really need them and they come and pick it up too.

dangermouseisace Fri 28-Oct-16 20:52:17

agree with those that say charge a small amount and it will be picked up.

Before moving I sold some stuff extremely quickly no probs, collected within a couple of days.

The free stuff that I panicked and put up at the end…oooooohhhhhh the free (and just as good, probably better actually) stuff. What a nightmare. Never again.

PaniWahine Fri 28-Oct-16 21:03:28

I've taken to being very specific in ads about collection, and also digging a bit into requesters, like if they have any weird comments. Had dramas a couple if months ago with Requestor who didn't turn up twice, we refused a third chance and went out. He turned up anyway, banged on the neighbours doors on both sides, called and texted us repeatedly and sat out side for nearly two hours. WEIRDO... But most are normal.

yougetme Fri 28-Oct-16 21:50:01

Draylon Yes I do state in my posting what Im going to put up with. I put quite narrow collection times on too and then weed all the impolite answers.
I dont weed poor english as there are many people without the skills to write a perfect sentence.Doesnt stop you being able to say please and thank you in some manner though.
When I get a reply I offer the chance of a pick up and only after a sensible reply do I give the details . I never give out my address at the first reply .

Its seems that the more open you are the more people take the piss. I just want the stuff gone with the least bother to me and by being restrictive it tends to restrict the idiots who just like to wind posters up.

captaincunt Fri 28-Oct-16 21:59:22

I always put on eBay/gumtree too and then cancel auction and ask them to donate to charity (if it's a high value item) when they come to pick it up and pay. Cannot stand freecycle any more and I used to use it loads.

Draylon Sat 29-Oct-16 12:55:25

Allegedly someone is coming to pick it up at 2.30pm. He works locally and did suggest I might like to drop it off at his work... shock. The other item I have, an ipod charger, is supposedly going at 4, but I told them that it was still available due to timewasters which I hope was a hint!

Next time, if there is one, I will specify a day and time range when it can be collected and offer it to the first polite requester I get.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now