To wonder what mumsnet are doing about the daily mail poaching stories from the forum

(55 Posts)
Unicorn1981 Fri 28-Oct-16 16:10:05

Is this normal? People are posting seemingly anonymous threads on her then they are ending up on mailonline?

HiDBandSIL Fri 28-Oct-16 16:10:44

Celebrating the increased traffic?

DownWithThisSortaThing Fri 28-Oct-16 16:11:51

What can they do about it? It's a public forum.

PurpleDaisies Fri 28-Oct-16 16:12:48

Have you only just noticed? Nothing's private on the internet.

Unicorn1981 Fri 28-Oct-16 16:13:27

I thought because people can post quite sensitive stuff on here it should be protected or something. I'm probably being naive.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Fri 28-Oct-16 16:14:07

Never put anything on here that you'd be mortified to see [ along with your nn] on the front of an online paper.

monkeywithacowface Fri 28-Oct-16 16:14:36

Nothing it's great for business and that's what MN is a business not a safe haven for private conversation. It's naive to post on an Internet forum and think your content won't be shared. It's a lesson in being careful what you post online.

purplefox Fri 28-Oct-16 16:15:45

Increase in traffic = increase in ad revenue, so nothing, why would they? This isn't a private forum.

You're posting on a public forum, everything is indexed by Google so can be discovered very easily, everything shared by anyone on the internet, so yes, you're being incredibly naive.

DownWithThisSortaThing Fri 28-Oct-16 16:22:20

Well with sensitive subjects you can discuss them without going into lots of detail so as to still be fairly anonymous, but it's still public. If you want to talk about something very personal that you don't want everyone on the Internet to be able to read it's probably best to look for another place to talk, because Daily Fail or not, MN threads can be found with a simple Google search. So be careful what and where you post I suppose.

Unicorn1981 Fri 28-Oct-16 16:23:56

Oh okay. It's more the daily mail that annoys me with it. Can't they think up their own news!

Unicorn1981 Fri 28-Oct-16 16:24:50

I haven't posted anything. It's that post about wedding presents yesterday that I saw.

SporkLife Fri 28-Oct-16 16:27:14

I thought because people can post quite sensitive stuff on here it should be protected or something

If it's that sensitive that they need it to be private, they shouldn't post it on a popular forum online which anyone can read, the fail are shit, but the whole privacy argument (that comes up everytime anthread like this pops up) is nonsense as mumsnet is not private.

usual Fri 28-Oct-16 16:27:24

I would think that MNHQ encourage it TBH.

Best way to bring more traffic to the site.

TisMeTheLadFromTheBar Fri 28-Oct-16 16:28:06

The Daily Fail has been doing that for years. Mum's net MNHQ like the free publicity, so they won't do anything about it.

Soubriquet Fri 28-Oct-16 16:28:12

Not just the daily mail anyway

That's life regularly post things about it

MrsBernardBlack Fri 28-Oct-16 16:28:50

I'm probably being naive.

Yes.

SausageSoda Fri 28-Oct-16 16:29:14

It's getting fecking ridiculous now. The cottage teapot wedding present one would be quite identible if the buyers of the cottage teapot were to read the DM. It's enough to put me off posting anything much on MN.

Unicorn1981 Fri 28-Oct-16 16:31:24

That's where I was coming from. Thank you.

JustHappy3 Fri 28-Oct-16 16:34:17

You do realise that you give mn copyright over anything you post on here don't you? I don't have a problem with it cos i very much like the site. The journos/mumsnet tend to stick to raiding/publicising aibu and chat - i suspect there's a deal to leave some of the more sensitive sections alone which i appreciate.

Coconutty Fri 28-Oct-16 16:35:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsDeVere Fri 28-Oct-16 16:46:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pinkheart5915 Fri 28-Oct-16 16:49:01

It's a public forum.

Don't post a story on here with too many identifying details

DesolateWaist Fri 28-Oct-16 16:50:30

Yes it's not ideal but it is public domain.
Posting on here is no different to sticking it on twitter or putting a poster up in your town hall.

SmallBee Fri 28-Oct-16 17:00:00

I think we should have a competition to see who can come up with a thread that the DM picks up as a Real Life Story.
If they're going to be so lazy then they deserve it.

mochaccinoCake Fri 28-Oct-16 17:05:25

If you want to post something sensitive, just change details. You don't have a daughter, you have twin boys, it's not a teapot you received for your wedding, but a garden pond (ok, maybe not a garden pond). The DM is the reason people like me change their user name often. I post too much private information, so if I am ever outed, people won't be able to read my full history on here where I ask about sensitive and private issues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now