Having to supply your own food to a work's do...

(59 Posts)
CalmTheFarm Fri 28-Oct-16 07:18:17

A long term colleague is leaving next Friday and my company have organised a leaving do for her. They are organising a BBQ (even though the colleague is vegetarian) except we have been told all the workers have to bring a contribution and the company will supply the meat (cheap sausages like the last time)

This is private sector and only a company of 20 odd people, they have also put on morning teas etc before for other works dos and because this leaving do was initiated by the CEO I think it is extremely unfair to ask workers to contribute, Aibu?!

Trifleorbust Fri 28-Oct-16 07:19:42

If the company is organising, they should be paying, but it isn't the biggest deal in the world. Just opt out?

Spurtle Fri 28-Oct-16 07:20:38

My initial reaction is don't be so tight. Unless you don't like this colleague?

Gwenhwyfar Fri 28-Oct-16 07:22:24

If she opts out Trifle the person leaving might be offended.
I agree that the company should be paying.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Fri 28-Oct-16 07:22:46

Sorry. Don't see the issue.

HmmmmBop Fri 28-Oct-16 07:24:09

No issue, buy some crisps and dips confused

Gwenhwyfar Fri 28-Oct-16 07:25:40

Spurtle - it's not OP being tight it's the employer. If a group of colleagues decide to do something then they can pay themselves, but if management put on a party then it's normal to expect the company to pay. (Public sector is different of course).

CalmTheFarm Fri 28-Oct-16 07:27:23

The thing is, I am quite close with the colleague and the leaving do is happening during the working day, so it's quite hard to opt out.

I wouldn't be making a big deal of it but money is extremely tight and I'm finding it hard enough to feed my own family as it is.

Kr1stina Fri 28-Oct-16 07:29:40

It will be a chilly BBQ in November . Does your company have a large garden attached to the office ? And BBQ equipment ? how unusual .

CalmTheFarm Fri 28-Oct-16 07:30:19

Our department has been told to produce a salad which means I can't just turn up with a bag of crisps and a salad can be quite expensive (the ingredients etc).

bigTillyMint Fri 28-Oct-16 07:32:19

Strange for a private company, I guess, but only too familiar if you are a teacher grin

Trifleorbust Fri 28-Oct-16 07:33:32

If it's happening in the work day as well, it really isn't okay to expect you all to bring contributions. Just don't. I appreciate what people are saying about the way it might make your colleague feel, but your bosses shouldn't get to use this to bully you into finding an event on company time. You could always explain to your colleague that you would rather take her for a drink on your own time?

Trifleorbust Fri 28-Oct-16 07:34:19

*funding

Sixisthemagicnumber Fri 28-Oct-16 07:35:29

Is the salad to be provided by just you or the department? If it is by the department as you state above then each person can bring one salad item - a lettuce, a packet of tomatoes, a pepper, a cucumber (less than £1 each person). If you are to provide a salad dish each then choose pasta salad as you can get a bag of pasta for 20p and a jar of pasta sauce for 29p from Aldi. Job done for 49p.

heron98 Fri 28-Oct-16 07:46:31

Our company doesn't pay for anything - even the christmas do!

lastqueenofscotland Fri 28-Oct-16 07:47:31

I don't think it's that it there

Agree offer to bring something cheap like pasta salad/crisps

Mummyoflittledragon Fri 28-Oct-16 07:48:29

Pasta salad sounds good, as an alternative if colleague eats fish, maybe do it with a couple of cheap cans of tuna, and a can of sweetcorn. Optional mayonnaise or salad cream if you have some.

GoldenBlue Fri 28-Oct-16 07:52:13

Seems perfectly fair, lucky they are funding anything really. In public sector all of our dos are bring a plate or we pay ourselves

NoahVale Fri 28-Oct-16 07:53:13

just bring a couple of veggie burgers. if everybody brings something it wont be too expensive.

NoahVale Fri 28-Oct-16 07:53:30

or just a pot of olives

NoahVale Fri 28-Oct-16 07:54:38

make a cous cous or rice salad?

ChatEnOeuf Fri 28-Oct-16 07:57:14

Don't see the problem at all. I'm public sector but the principle is the same - we all contribute and enjoy the party.

You can rustle up a pasta salad or simple green salad for very little indeed.

Sundance01 Fri 28-Oct-16 07:57:21

To be honest I would be more surprised if the company was paying for everything. I have only ever had 1 employer who would have done that and about 10 that would expect a contribution.

knaffedoff Fri 28-Oct-16 08:00:15

My employer has yet to provide for a leaving party, Christmas event etc. I would say we have little parties a couple of times a year with everyone bringing a little something (about 20 in our team). They are always the best, well stocked, nicest foods provided and given a choice I would definitely opt for the same type of arrangement, as opposed to my employer forking out on what they like. Go with open mind and if everyone takes a little of something, you may be surprised at how much better it will be.

CalmTheFarm Fri 28-Oct-16 08:04:48

Ok I accept IABU, thanks for all the ideas really I appreciate it, a cheap pasta salad is a good idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now