To be a bit wtf about people trick or treating not actually on Halloween

(77 Posts)
lightsandresistance Wed 26-Oct-16 21:59:07

It would seem that people near us have decided that as Monday is a school night they cannot trick or treat then and so they are going to trick or treat sometime between Friday and Sunday depending if they are at a party, on holiday, out for the day already etc. It is a full discussion on a local pages that no one will be going Monday because it is a school night so they will do it x,y, z day instead.

Is this really a thing?

Am I being a miserable old bat?

Since when did Halloween change from one day to a whole weekend?

I am not a huge fan of Halloween anyway tbh and feel especially sorry for those who have tiny babies or dogs who go beserk etc.

chipsandpeas Wed 26-Oct-16 22:10:22

fri sat or sun wouldnt bother me, i get why people dont want to do it on monday night
however i will be in hiding as i cant be arsed with it

FlyingElbows Wed 26-Oct-16 22:12:19

Totally outing my location here but where I live it is traditional to "do" halloween on the Friday before.

TroysMammy Wed 26-Oct-16 22:17:05

It's one day only 31st October and no other day is acceptable.

I nearly bought a bag of chewy sweets today but as I won't be home until 7pm on Monday I thought "nah, fuck them" and put them back on the shelf.

LilyInBlue Wed 26-Oct-16 22:17:38

*FlyingElbows
You live where I live - we are the only town in the whole world to have it on a different day grin

LilyInBlue Wed 26-Oct-16 22:18:54

Nobody does Halloween here on the 31st unless it so happens to be a Friday, if you come on the 31st there are no sweeties left!

biscuitbadger Wed 26-Oct-16 22:20:26

I'm with you on this. I will only be opening the door to trick or treaters on actual Halloween.

lightsandresistance Wed 26-Oct-16 22:21:42

See it being on the Friday every year instead if I knew it was on the Friday every year instead of the 31st wouldn't bother me as much.

I just don't want four days of it.

MrsHam13 Wed 26-Oct-16 22:22:08

Flying elbows is it somewhere in Scotland begins with K?

DixieWishbone Wed 26-Oct-16 22:22:34

I am in the US and trick or treating is usually only done on Halloween here, even if it is freezing cold and raining.

The one exception was when there was a tremendous storm forecast one year and the city stepped in and announced trick or treating would be done on a different day. We get horrendous thunderstorms and occasionally tornadoes though. The thunderstorms can have thousands of lightning strikes per hour.

MangoBiscuit Wed 26-Oct-16 22:26:04

I won't have any treats available if people knock before Halloween. I'd probably be a bit hmm at the parents too. T or T ing is a bit cheeky anyway (perfectly happy to have TTers on Halloween) but extra nights of it is just wrong.

Aeroflotgirl Wed 26-Oct-16 22:27:24

Trick or treating only on Halloween, any their day, it's just begging!

megletthesecond Wed 26-Oct-16 22:27:34

Yanbu. 31st only IMO.

wirrinboffin Wed 26-Oct-16 22:28:35

Would that be Kilmarnock by any chance grin ?

dementedpixie Wed 26-Oct-16 22:29:10

They'll get nothing from me if they come before Monday evening

AndShesGone Wed 26-Oct-16 22:30:19

How bizarre shock

Onehellofaride Wed 26-Oct-16 22:30:32

Trick or treating will only happen on Monday for us if at all but they have a party on Friday and I have just decorated the dining room (it's the only room I will decorate).

Cheerybigbottom Wed 26-Oct-16 22:33:24

I'm genuinely shocked to hear trick or treating happens before Halloween. We're doing different Halloween activities sat/sun/mon but guising is definitely just for Halloween, the 31st!

soupmaker Wed 26-Oct-16 22:34:18

Yes, that'll be Kilmarnock! Anyone coming 'trick or treating' at our door will be telt that it's guising, only happens on the actual night itself and to GTF if dressed as a 'killer clown'.

justnippingin Wed 26-Oct-16 22:34:53

31st only! My dd is at a party on the Saturday and I'm guessing they will send the kids off T or T'ing. She agrees with me, 31st is Halloween, so no t or t'ing before!

SpookyPotato Thu 27-Oct-16 00:24:17

31st only! I don't get why people would go out at any other time, surely the success rate will be low? Most people won't have treats waiting before then..

zad716 Thu 27-Oct-16 07:28:19

Surely half the fun is seeing other in fancy dress and even some of the houses decorated (smoke machines, spooky music, light displays, etc). Isn't going to be the same if spread over 4 nights.

Hence no real issue to changing the day, but its got to be one single day accepted by everyone within the local community.

myownprivateidaho Thu 27-Oct-16 07:39:15

I've never had a trick or treater at my door in my life! Do people actually do it in England? I would have thought that there will be so few kids out that it won't actually make a difference what night it's on.

Basicbrown Thu 27-Oct-16 07:40:55

Yabu op. Round where we live it is just awful anyway, we literally get thousands. There will be no sweets until the 31st. I will fix a smile on my face for one night only. I suspect if I started giving them out earlier they would be round again on the Monday anyway.

Basicbrown Thu 27-Oct-16 07:42:06

Idaho you are welcome to come round to mine for the evening. It is staggering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now