To leave my ds to freestyle his homework?

(22 Posts)
bakeoffmakesmehungry Wed 26-Oct-16 20:53:43

Dd who is four, in nursery and CAN'T WRITE yet has come home for half term with the following for homework:
A letter hunt (OK)
A story writing contest.
A poetry booklet which she is supposed to write 3 or 4 poems in
And some cvc word frames.

Managed the letter hunt and word frames but how the fuck do I get her to write poetry?

Am tempted to give her the booklet, a pack of glitter pens and leave her to get on with it!!

Go on, tell me I'm a terrible mummy confusedgrin

bakeoffmakesmehungry Wed 26-Oct-16 20:55:04

Sorry for misleading title, dd not ds.

GrinchyMcGrincherson Wed 26-Oct-16 20:57:08

That is ridiculous. My DS in year two wouldn't be expected to do that. It's utter bollocks.

Give her the pencils and let her go nuts.

Mistoffelees Wed 26-Oct-16 21:02:27

Nursery?? That is ridiculous! Maybe add some silly replacements to known rhymes e.g. incey wincey...(let DD think of her own animal) climbed up the (DD's idea) etc then write them down for her? You might have to demo a couple first.

Mistoffelees Wed 26-Oct-16 21:03:12

Or if that's not something she'd enjoy just don't bother, she's in nursery for crying out loud, what were the school thinking!?

VladimirsPooTin Wed 26-Oct-16 21:03:40

Why does the post title say DS and 'his' but the post itself says DD and 'her'?

misses point

MsJudgemental Wed 26-Oct-16 21:03:52

It's her homework, not yours! But...I would suggest talking round each poem, get her to think about some sentences, write them out for her on scrap paper then get her to copy them with the glitter pens. How are you going to tackle the story???

Mistoffelees Wed 26-Oct-16 21:10:00

MsJudgemental, copy writing is very poor practise which is generally actively discouraged when children are learning to do their own writing. An adult scribing their words is generally much more effective.

bakeoffmakesmehungry Wed 26-Oct-16 21:18:20

Vladimir, can't edit posts, should I be able to? Put ds/his in title absent minded lay as older ds is on my mind for other reasons. I did realise and post correction almost as soon as I hit send.

Is there a way of editing, I feel a bit daft blush

bakeoffmakesmehungry Wed 26-Oct-16 21:20:30

Judgement/Mistoffee
She wouldn't copy full sentences any way, still writing giant letters, wonky letters.
That's why this homework seems bizarre!!

Mistoffelees Wed 26-Oct-16 21:24:39

If she's writing letters at all that's brilliant for her age! When I worked in nursery any 'homeworl' we sent was talk or play based, even now I'm in reception we don't really do homework, we sometimes do the dreaded send a teddy home but make it clear that I'd they're not yet writing a picture is more desirable.
Anyway, if you want to do it I stick by my original suggestion. Otherwise just have a lovely relaxing half term!

InfiniteCurve Wed 26-Oct-16 21:25:44

Why has a 4 year old still at nursery git homework over half term? Why have they got homework at all? Just why?!

Rockpebblestone Wed 26-Oct-16 21:26:01

Let her freestyle it. Poems don't have to make sense anyway. Show her some children's verse from a book, read some out and let her just 'make' her own.

InfiniteCurve Wed 26-Oct-16 21:28:07

But if you have to do it , which I only would if my DC was keen,I would talk about and create the poems together and I'd scribe. ( having had a non writing til quite old DS)
But I think it's too much and silly. Half term is meant yo be a holiday, fgs...

tonsiltennis Wed 26-Oct-16 21:29:40

Bin it. Seriously that's bollocks.

harderandharder2breathe Wed 26-Oct-16 21:30:12

That's crazy for nursery! Letter hungmakes sense, learning to recognise letters in the real world not just on paper (I assum?)

Poetry writing at 4?!?

IAmAPaleontologist Wed 26-Oct-16 21:33:13

Ffs that is ridiculous! My year 5 child wouldn't even get that much homework over the holidays. My 4 year old who is in reception can't even write his own name yet.

VladimirsPooTin Wed 26-Oct-16 21:37:20

I don't think you can but you can ask MNHQ to but I shouldn't worry it's not a big deal.

bakeoffmakesmehungry Wed 26-Oct-16 21:38:21

Am so glad it's not only me..... I was saying "she has an older child's homework in her bag!"
But apparently not confused

GrinchyMcGrincherson Thu 27-Oct-16 00:08:32

There once was a nursery in Crewe
They really were terribly poo
Gave homework to kids
Who can't even shut lids
What a stupidly shit thing to do

Sorted grin

DarkDarkNight Thu 27-Oct-16 00:30:57

I let my 3 year old scribble over his. It really is ridiculous. His homework only tends to be colouring in, but there is a little note to encourage him to stay within the lines hmm.

His last homework was to draw a picture of his favourite nursery rhyme. He drew a Red squiggle.

holidaysaregreat Thu 27-Oct-16 00:34:30

Homework from nursery?! Ridiculous idea. What is the world coming to?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now