To need some downtime?

(9 Posts)
FlapsTie Wed 26-Oct-16 13:44:22

DH has taken this week off work (half term). Every day has been busy, epic dog walks, days out, meals out, visiting the inlaws, shopping etc.

Today I am shattered. And emotionally drained. I am in my pjs and have zero intention of getting dressed.

DH is like an excited puppy. 'What are we going to do? Let's go for a walk! If I get ds2's Lego out will you play with us? Let's take the bikes out!'

I've just had to sit him down and say, look, I know you're off work and want to do stuff, but can you please get on and do some stuff without my input today? And now he's hurt because he wants us to do things all together.

So as not to drip feed, I have some pretty debilitating MH issues and have been much much better since ds2 started school and I've been able to spend weekdays hibernating and doing things for myself like solo dog walks and reading. I wasn't expecting to be able to do that all this week but we have had five very full on days and I feel very tightly wound. I just need one slower paced day. I am making a roast dinner with all the trimmings (it's in the oven now) and I think that's all I've got in me for the day.

AIBU or should I just woman up and do family things?

lemondropcake Wed 26-Oct-16 13:47:49

Nothing wrong with needing some down time. You are cooking a lovely roast dinner and enjoying a pj day.
Get a nice film for the kids to watch after dinner and make some hot chocolates or something.
Your DH can amuse the kids seeing as hes in the mood. Take them out for some fresh air or what ever. Not everyday needs to be fun packed adventure.

togetherlikeglue Wed 26-Oct-16 13:52:07

Look after your mental health. Your life and DH sound similar to mine. Right now I am having down time and it is so necessary. One day low key after five manic ones sounds totally reasonable to me, esp when you're managing to do a roast dinner.

(I hoiked myself into London to see a friend for lunch today, the key thing is no responsibilities and after lunch I'll be a free agent).

Take care X

VoldysGoneMouldy Wed 26-Oct-16 13:52:42

Nope. When you're used to having some chill out time during the week, and not only is all that put on hold, but you've got an excited puppy of an adult jumping up and down, you're going to be KNACKERED.

Roast is in the oven. Go and have a bath and read your book.

Rainydayspending Wed 26-Oct-16 13:54:58

Half term Wednesday (half half day) is always for serious relaxing day in my life. It's sooooo important for me to drink copious cups of tea and read a book for the children to properly rest, reorganise their rooms and dig out some board games grin

FlapsTie Wed 26-Oct-16 13:55:52

He's gone to get his Lego out of the garage to entice ds2 to play with him. Funnily enough ds just wants to watch tv today as well...

kissmethere Wed 26-Oct-16 14:53:25

My DH used to be like this. I had to just say for once can I not have to come along as if also be rushed off my feet preparing dinner when we get back. While they would be relaxing.
Let him take the lead and look after yourself.

megletthesecond Wed 26-Oct-16 14:57:53

Yanbu. We're having a lazy day. Only just had lunch. DS is gradually tidying his room, I've made biscuits and DD is considering putting a dvd on.

Imnotaslimjim Wed 26-Oct-16 15:23:48

I totally get you. Sometimes it can all be a little overwhelming, even for an adult. We all need time to take a break and relax a little. I take one day every couple of months to curl into a duvet and watch rubbish films all day. Always feel better afterwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now