I need advice about our solicitor

(9 Posts)
putputput Wed 26-Oct-16 09:50:38

So we are in the process of buying our first house. It's a property owned by my PIL.

PIL's are selling us the property below market value. This is incredibly generous of them, however the price was still about £4000 over what any bank would lend us. We would never dream of asking them to reduce the price.

My Dad has given us a loan of £4000. We declared this as a gift with the solicitors- my dad is happy with this and knows we will pay him back as per agreement.

Our solicitors have wrongly sent paperwork to my PILs which asks them to prove their solvency whilst giving £4000 gift to us. Despite me having taken in bank statements and the gift letter showing this money is coming from my dad.

I am not happy-

A) PIL have already been incredibly generous and this feels like we're asking for more.

B) My dad is very private about finances, he would HATE for PIL to know he's lent us this money. One of his conditions of lending to us was not to share the information.

Solicitors are just shrugging their shoulders saying instructions wasn't clear, if they were at all confused they could have just asked!
Is my only option just to suck it up? Am I overreacting?

aginghippy Wed 26-Oct-16 09:59:40

What do you want to happen now?

Temporaryname137 Wed 26-Oct-16 10:02:30

I think get the solicitor to confirm they sent it to the wrong person and then show that to your PIL with an apology and an explanation that you needed a bridging loan which you are paying back to your dad.

It sucks but sucking it up is the best thing to do to make the purchase go smoothly IMO.

yellowfrog Wed 26-Oct-16 10:58:18

Isn't that a data protection breach, if they revealed your dad's financial information/actions to your PIL?

HereIAm20 Wed 26-Oct-16 20:01:30

Does your PIL/do you realise there are capital gains tax implications in selling a property below market value to a family member?

HereIAm20 Wed 26-Oct-16 20:02:56

What instructions did you give? Did you ssy you buying from Mum and Dad and borrowing from Dad? Or did you say buying from Mr X and borrowing from Mr Y.

wasonthelist Wed 26-Oct-16 20:08:16

My conveyancing solicitor transferred all of the sale proceeds of our house to me as we sold as part of divorce despite instructions to send 50% to ex. I queried it, gently suggesting I had received more than I was expecting - got a snotty brush-off from them. They later apologised.

howno Wed 26-Oct-16 20:17:08

First off id tell your dad. He might be annoyed but you're not to blame and these things have a funny way of coming out.

It's shit though op

ChickenVindaloo Wed 26-Oct-16 21:01:50

Resi conveyancing solicitor here.

Is the solicitor provided/recommended by your mortgage lender? If so, you're paying rock bottom legal fees and can expect a crap service and no-one to give a shit basically.

If you selected the solicitors yourself and are paying proper fees then complain. BUT wait til the house purchase has gone through...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now