to feel a bit 😔 that I will never achieve a...

(46 Posts)
Catsize Tue 25-Oct-16 22:14:12

Duke of Edinburgh gold award.

Or any DofE for that matter.

It all kind of passed me by in that pre-internet age but I would have loved it.

Just been watching my niece's video highlights of her bronze award and thought 'Sod it, I'll do it if I'm still allowed'.

Looked it up online and the cut off is 25. 14 years too late.

How will my life ever be complete?!

BrianCoxWithBellsOn Tue 25-Oct-16 22:18:49

Find out what the criteria is for completion of award. Do it. I will make you a certificate.

I started mine but gave up after the first 10 mile trek as I decided to get drunk of MD20/20 and Hooch instead of going to sleep in preparation for the following day's 10 mile hike.

BrianCoxWithBellsOn Tue 25-Oct-16 22:19:40

* because I was a tit, aged 16

Catsize Tue 25-Oct-16 22:21:03

Ah. Yes. Not your wisest move Brian. I would love your certificate - especially if signed using your MN name (assuming that isn't your real name).

Wolfiefan Tue 25-Oct-16 22:21:33

We could do a MN version. There'd be gin and everything. I'm in!

Catsize Tue 25-Oct-16 22:22:46

It would be fab. Derbyshire anyone? They have gin there I've heard...

MooseyMouse Tue 25-Oct-16 22:25:33

I think they're doing a special D of E personal challenge for those who are too old for the scheme. Can't remember all the details...

pleasethankyouthankyouplease Tue 25-Oct-16 22:25:42

I'm in . X

Wolfiefan Tue 25-Oct-16 22:29:55

I would travel to Derbyshire for gin!
grin

Catsize Tue 25-Oct-16 22:30:19

Really Moosey? Are you just dangling a carrot there? This could be the start of something...

mermaidbutmytailfelloff Tue 25-Oct-16 22:32:04

me too, I'm in. I was very jealous of my ds when he did his.

The diamond challenge is what you are thinking of moosey - but I want the real one!

BrianCoxWithBellsOn Tue 25-Oct-16 22:32:49

Yes I'm totally not really Prof Cox.

Catsize Tue 25-Oct-16 22:34:27

Mind you, the MN personal challenge might look a bit like this...

Get up off sofa.
Walk across room.
Return to sofa.
Get back on sofa.
Sit for ten minutes and ignore all electrical appliances and demands for one's attention.
Walk to kitchen.
Find bottle of gin.
Stare at gin for ten minutes and do not open.
Return to sofa.
Repeat daily for... One day.

Get a certificate from Brian

Wolfiefan Tue 25-Oct-16 22:38:29

Catsize. I'm opening the gin!
I MAY manage not to hoick up my judgy pants or roll my eyes at the teen! grin

Catsize Tue 25-Oct-16 22:48:51

Fellow MNers, I love you.

almost but not really Accepting I am unlikely to achieve the 'real thing', I have just signed up for the Diamond Challenge. What a great idea!

Not sure what my challenge will be yet, and there isn't much left of 2016 in which to do it, but open to very sensible and serious suggestions. Probably gin-related things might not be top fundraisers I fear.

Wolfie, cheers!

Wolfiefan Tue 25-Oct-16 22:54:07

Walk or run or take up a new challenge? I fancy stand up paddle boarding but fear I may drown. (Not the most coordinated or strong of core?!)
Climbing some hills or abseiling down something tall?!

ShebaShimmyShake Tue 25-Oct-16 22:56:34

I've got the Gold DOE. It was fun, but ten years on nobody gives a shit. Actually, two years on nobody gave a shit.

ImissGrannyW Tue 25-Oct-16 22:59:51

I own walking boots and like gin. Can I join in?

DD currently doing her bronze, so I know there's a physical challenge (opening the gin!) and two others, can't remember now, but sure they must be gin related.

Please send me my certificate via PM. I think I've earned it (I do own walking boots!!!!!)

ThereIsNoFelange Tue 25-Oct-16 23:01:14

Why wouldn't we open the gin? 😕

Catsize Tue 25-Oct-16 23:05:56

I am sure we WOULD open the gin, but bathing in gin/drinking challenges etc. might not encourage others to donate.

I am contemplating doing a local 40mile walk over a weekend. Not sure this is a great idea, as I only have one weekend I could do it in this year and very little training time. Plus, have had a pelvic problem for several years. Better now, but might be an issue!

How about a cycling challenge between gin distilleries??

user1477282676 Tue 25-Oct-16 23:06:34

What's the point of the Duke of Edinburgh? Does it look good on Uni applications or something? Is there some kudos? I apoligise for seeming ignorant...

Catsize Tue 25-Oct-16 23:07:38

envy at Sheba. WE care!!

Off to dream of challenges and gin - if I can sleep with all the excitabubbles in my head.

Slippersandacuppa Tue 25-Oct-16 23:09:16

I'm sure (according to my hazy memory - it was a loooong time ago) that there was a lot of helping of others involved.

So in the true spirit of post-25 DofE, I will help you all open your gin. And even assist in the drinking of it.

thisgirlruns Tue 25-Oct-16 23:09:23

If they do do adult Gold DoE I want to know about it. Did all of mine with the exception of the expedition across Dartmoor because it was too much like hard work PLUS I was far too attached to my hairdryer and home comforts at that point in my life.

I'd totally do it now.

ShebaShimmyShake Tue 25-Oct-16 23:16:23

The expedition was the easy bit, though I don't see why we had to do it twice. Passing my driving test (you have to pas a test of proficiency in a new skill) was what took forever. My Scout leader suggested I try something else...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now