Broken down wagon.

(16 Posts)
selfishcrab Tue 25-Oct-16 17:03:51

Just off to work and get to the top of my hill and there is a wagon broken down in the middle of the road, now where I live the road is single track, high bushes/trees one side, walls the other. No way of getting through, also there is oil running down the hill from this broken wagon.
Spoke to the drive who was rude and said tough! I asked how long he would be and he just said "ages you'll have to wait, the bloke is coming to fix it but he's a hour away and the hydraulics have gone so probably be here all night hahaha"
I was not happy at this point so also said that it needs to be moved over asap as if there was an accident/fire (my neighbour is very ill, has had 2 brain ops in last 2 months and the ambulance is there a lot) no one could get through to help, there is no other access. Again he laughed!!
The woman whose house they are outside of (she is having work done) also laughed.

Now I'm hourly paid and it's at a very good rate, I don't work for the fun of it. Yes I enjoy my job but I also enjoy the money.
Would it BU to phone the company and tell them I will invoice for the loss in pay or invoice the woman up the road?
Or am I just BU because I'm now pissed off?

Sirzy Tue 25-Oct-16 17:07:07

What do you expect him to do? He can hardly push it out of the way!

It's not ideal but these things happen and surely that's a risk taken by living somewhere accessible by single tracked roads that occasionally they will be blocked for whatever reason.

selfishcrab Tue 25-Oct-16 17:16:40

What I expect is for the wagon to have been put over to the side (where there was room) so that in event of an emergency someone could get through. Or even pull up on the ladies drive, which again is big enough, the rest of us do when we have work done.

Sirzy Tue 25-Oct-16 17:23:07

If he has broken down he probably hasn't got much say in where it is though!

RB68 Tue 25-Oct-16 17:24:08

and HOW exactly would you have him do that if the hydraulics have gone - clearly not an engineer then

iklboo Tue 25-Oct-16 17:24:33

If the hydraulics are gone he won't be able to move it.

legotits Tue 25-Oct-16 17:24:52

Am I being thick..
Walk around the wagon and go to work.

Floggingmolly Tue 25-Oct-16 17:27:57

Where on earth do you live that there's only one (single track) way in and out?

selfishcrab Tue 25-Oct-16 17:30:32

I clearly don't expect it moved now, I'm just really annoyed that they didn't park properly in the first place. It's at the top of a really steep hill as well.
Could walk around it BUT we're in the middle of nowhere, no public transport and I work miles away so wouldn't be able to walk... I would if I could I hate letting my clients down.

iklboo Tue 25-Oct-16 17:33:07

I'm sure he didn't plan to break down there

zzzzz Tue 25-Oct-16 17:33:29

ask him to pay for a taxi, or for neighbour to drive you to work.

Justwanttoweeinpeace Tue 25-Oct-16 17:33:35

Leave car behind behind truck. Call cab to pick up in front of truck.

HTH.

legotits Tue 25-Oct-16 17:34:46

Book a taxi to meet you at the wagon.
Use no car as an excuse for drinkypoos after work.

If it's hydraulic it could have gone kerput there.

Anyone who can pop out and give you a lift?

ProseccoBitch Tue 25-Oct-16 17:36:03

Are you serious?!!

I take it you've never driven a 'wagon'.

5Foot5 Tue 25-Oct-16 17:36:31

I am surprised at the shirty responses the OP has got on here.

It is surely his company's responsibility to send someone out asap to tow him to where he is not creating an obstruction.

Is this a public highway OP? If so then I am pretty sure he is committing an offence. Have you tried the police?

And if it can't be moved and you miss work because of it then I think it only reasonable to expect compensation for this.

selfishcrab Tue 25-Oct-16 17:39:05

My other job is in a commercial scrap yard so yes I have driven a wagon amongst most other things!
I know how to park one hence the comment about parking it properly and the driveway is plenty big enough for it (and to turn).
I didn't even think about getting a taxi (dim) I am on that now, glad someone has a brain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now