AIBU to find the word 'cuppa' REALLY IRRITATING?

(501 Posts)
BlancheDuBois2 Mon 24-Oct-16 17:49:08

Ok, so I'm definitely overreacting here, but whenever anyone asks me if I want a 'cuppa' I cringe inside. What's wrong with using real words? Like tea? Or Coffee? Or cup of?

I'm aware that people as grumpy as this don't usually get asked if they'd like a drink of any description, so I should count myself lucky that some people in my office still like me - but everytime anyone utters the word, I want to wince.

I don't know what hideous childhood 'cuppa' experience has scarred me to this extent - but am I alone? Does anyone else want to cause harm to a colleague when they're just being perfectly friendly and offering to make me a tea/coffee.

Having re read this, I almost want to award myself a biscuit for being such a twat. I should probably just go home and have some wine, shouldn't I?

LightTheLampNotTheRat Mon 24-Oct-16 17:50:14

You're not alone - I hate it too. Don't know why. Possibly because my mother says it all the time and I'm not fond of her.

DubiousCredentials Mon 24-Oct-16 17:51:05

YANBU.

OutOfBlueComesGreen Mon 24-Oct-16 17:51:42

No I can't stand cuppa either. And, controversially, brew.

Amelie10 Mon 24-Oct-16 17:52:55

Yanbu, it makes the person sound a bit dumb.

SirChenjin Mon 24-Oct-16 17:53:46

YANBU

One of my friends who is ultra cool in every other way says cuppa and I have to fight the urge to flick her forehead.

TathitiPete Mon 24-Oct-16 17:54:28

Ah I love Mumsnet grin In just one day I've learned that the words 'hubby' and 'cuppa' give people the rage along with 'hun' and 'lol'. What a time to be alive!

simbobs Mon 24-Oct-16 17:55:55

Yuck! Hate it, too, and I want a mug, actually.

WorraLiberty Mon 24-Oct-16 17:56:28

You'd never survive working with me.

I refer to tea as a 'cuppa splosh' grin

sonlypuppyfat Mon 24-Oct-16 17:56:40

Oh have a cuppa and a dippy bicky and calm down babes

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Mon 24-Oct-16 17:56:40

YANBU. It's slightly preferable to "brew" however.

TinnedChickenSoupCunt Mon 24-Oct-16 17:56:56

YANBU

miniplaty Mon 24-Oct-16 17:57:00

I don't like cuppa either, sounds a bit common but there are worse things in life

U2HasTheEdge Mon 24-Oct-16 17:57:34

Hate it.

Brew is even worse.

BlancheDuBois2 Mon 24-Oct-16 17:57:41

Ha ha TathitiPete

Hubby should be banned. So should hun. I've never met a person I respected that used those words. In my experience, they're the sort of words only used by sanctimonious twats.

TinnedChickenSoupCunt Mon 24-Oct-16 17:57:55

Oh and "two and moo" instead of two sugars & milk, that irritates me as well.

SpaceUnicorn Mon 24-Oct-16 17:58:50

YANBU. If someone offers you a glass of wine they don't ask if you want a 'glassy' or some equally ludicrous contraction.

BlancheDuBois2 Mon 24-Oct-16 18:00:06

Even I think I've gone too far there - lots of perfectly nice people in my office use hun. Just cause it drives me mad, doesn't mean they're inheritently bad people. I am now awarding myself two biscuit biscuit for being a sanctiminious twat...

The irony.

NavyandWhite Mon 24-Oct-16 18:00:43

Cuppa is irritating but not as much as nom nom or yummy.

arahia Mon 24-Oct-16 18:02:57

YANBU. See also: lippy and leccy.

DontTouchTheMoustache Mon 24-Oct-16 18:03:09

What have people got against "brew". I'm from Lancashire and live in Yorkshire now and I don't think I've ever heard it referred to as a thing else here. Say what you want about cuppa but leave brew out of it.

EllsTeeth Mon 24-Oct-16 18:03:37

I used to hate "cuppa" too until someone I had a crush on used it. Now I think it's cute (like himwink). "Brew" however is unforgivable. And "shampoo" instead of champagne gives me the serious rage.

Costacoffeeplease Mon 24-Oct-16 18:05:20

Yep cuppa, hubby, brew. Yuk

DontTouchTheMoustache Mon 24-Oct-16 18:05:39

Brew brew brew brew. I'm staging a one woman rebellion standing up for the word brew. Genuinely wondering of that is a location thing as it is incredibly commonplace up here...

EllsTeeth Mon 24-Oct-16 18:06:31

The only person I've known who says brew is from Lancashire

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now