AIBU to think that this schedule is too much for a 10 year old???

(9 Posts)
mummybear1975 Sun 23-Oct-16 23:37:01

This is my first post so be kind!! My dd1 (just 10yrs) auditioned for the junior chorus in a local panto, and was over the moon to be selected. She hasn't done anything professionally before, but really loves dancing and performing. I was well aware that the performances schedule would take over our Christmas, but wasn't prepared for a gruelling rehearsal schedule throughout November too, involving long hours (9/10hrs) sometimes until 10pm and back again at 10am the next day, not to mention missing a lot of school time too. It all just seems too much to me for a 10 year old, along with dd2 to consider and work commitments. I would also have to register as a chaperone and be there with her on some occasions. DD1 also seemed overwhelmed when looking through the proposed schedule although was still keen to do it. I don't feel that the commitment required was fully disclosed at the audition and that the juvenile performers(and parents) are somewhat being taken advantage of, although I am well aware that there are probably loads of kids out there willing to do it. As it stands I have emailed the production company with my doubts and that DD1 is no longer able to perform. AIBU? I swing from feeling relief that she's no longer involved, to feeling mean and disappointed for my daughter for a missed opportunity. In hindsight she should never have auditioned but I'll just have to chalk this one up as experience. Do you think the demands on child performers are unreasonable or am I being unrealistic?

Balletgirlmum Sun 23-Oct-16 23:41:35

There are laws dictating the hours child performers do.

Panto is very full on & you have to be prepared to dedicate your life to it for those months but it's also a wonderful experience.

Balletgirlmum Sun 23-Oct-16 23:42:55

How does your dd feel about it? Mine would have been devastated if I'd pulled her out but we went in with our eyes open.

grumpysquash3 Sun 23-Oct-16 23:46:50

When did you think they would rehearse for a Christmas panto if not in November?
Is it full 9/10 hour days? That does seem a lot!
Is school ok with taking children out for rehearsals?

ImissGrannyW Sun 23-Oct-16 23:48:55

My DD was in the local panto as chorus when she was in Yr 4. It was a big enough commitment that we didn't encourage her to do it again, but it was do-able, and she loved every minute!
School endorsed it (I think the rules for missing school might be different now), and they planned it so she only missed minimum amounts of school time.

yes, you have to do a lot of too-ing and fro-ing, but that's being a parent, innit!

dodobookends Sun 23-Oct-16 23:56:51

I guessed your thread would be about panto before I even opened it grin

All par for the course I'm afraid, and although there are strict regulations covering child performers, licensing, chaperones etc these days, it will still mean long hours and a big family commitment.

Balletgirlmum Mon 24-Oct-16 00:06:02

They can be at the theatre for up to 9.5 hours but can only actually rehearse or perform for 5 hours & have to have breaks after 2.5 hours.

kslatts Mon 24-Oct-16 00:11:11

I think it depends on whether your dd enjoys it. If she does then it would be a great opportunity.

mummybear1975 Mon 24-Oct-16 00:12:49

Thanks for your replies
grumpysquas3, we were told the rehearsals would be at the weekends in November and the odd after school which was fine, I just wasn't expecting daily rehearsals for weeks before the performances started! School were ok with the time off when they thought it was only a few days!
balletgirlmum, DD seems miffed rather than devastated about the prospect of not doing it, she does a lot of other stuff besides dancing and is a bit of an all rounder, and said herself that it was all very full on. She does modelling too and said if she got a job when the panto was on she'd rather do the modelling!
ImissgrannyW, with juggling work, school runs and daily after school activities I already do enough tooing and froing!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now