To think the Trolls movie is a bit grisly for a U? *plot spoiler*

(18 Posts)
toastedbeagle Sun 23-Oct-16 20:54:35

I can't believe I've actually reached the stage of my life where I'm outraged at children's films content but here we are....

Took my 4 year old daughter to see Trolls.. we've been to the cinema several times before and she's always enjoyed it.

There's a scene at the beginning where the Burgens are brandishing cleavers / knives and lighting bbqs with the intention of killing and eating the Trolls... later a troll does get eaten and also there's a flashback to a characters grandmother being eaten by the Burgen... my daughter asked to leave and so we did as I thought "this is a bit much".

Later I googled the plot line to reassure that it all ended ok but turns out it didn't for some so had to gloss over that!!

AIBU to think that people's grandmothers being murdered by being eaten alive isn't slightly more than "mild peril" and not a U category?!!

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Sun 23-Oct-16 20:56:36

Watership down is a U rating too shock

LetsJunglyJumpToIt Sun 23-Oct-16 20:57:29

My 4 year old was also scared and wanted to go home. We stayed in the end and he was OK.

Of course it turns out ok!

YuckYuckEwwww Sun 23-Oct-16 20:58:09

ooo glad of the heads up, sounds too much for my youngest and I was gonna bring her to this!

LetsJunglyJumpToIt Sun 23-Oct-16 20:58:56

It's really good, I loved the songs. But I could see why my DS was scared.

HeCantBeSerious Sun 23-Oct-16 21:01:24

Thought it a bit scary at the start, but U doesn't actually mean it's universally suitable for all.

MooseAndSquirrel Sun 23-Oct-16 21:02:32

Welcome to kids movies with kids
Disney is mostly harrowing (simbas dad!)
Box trolls, the father is rather brutally murdered which was a bit hmm but rise of the guardians took me by surprise when jack frost is describing how he drowned. Kids movies are messed up!

toy story 3 (when they all hold hands upon impending incineration) and inside out (take her to the moon for me) set me off the most.
DD1 is clearly a psychopath as is never bothered.

HeCantBeSerious Sun 23-Oct-16 21:02:34

"A U film should be suitable for audiences aged four years and over, although it is impossible to predict what might upset any particular child.

U films should be set within a positive framework and should offer reassuring counterbalances to any violence, threat or horror. If a work is particularly suitable for pre-school children, this will be indicated in the BBFCinsight."

toastedbeagle Sun 23-Oct-16 21:02:39

lol never seen Watership Down but we sung Bright Eyes at school in about 1988 and that's sad enough!! I can make myself cry humming the tune.

toastedbeagle Sun 23-Oct-16 21:04:41

Oh god yes that Toy Story 3 scene is heartbreaking and so is Up - but I've always thought it was so "adult" kids wouldn't be bothered (infertility etc not exactly on a 4 yr olds radar) .

bigkidsdidit Sun 23-Oct-16 21:05:15

My 3 year old watched it ok. Most Disney films are like this, aren't they? Lion king, frozen with the King and queen dying...

Wonderflonium Sun 23-Oct-16 21:05:48

Do you know this website:
www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/trolls

I use it when I am not sure if I can show a movie to a class or not.

Longdistance Sun 23-Oct-16 21:06:21

Oh crap I'm taking dd's on Tuesday to see Trolls.

They're 5 and 7 hoping they'll take it lightheartedly confused

Giratina Sun 23-Oct-16 21:07:27

The Russell Brand troll deserved to be eaten though.

moomoo222 Sun 23-Oct-16 21:10:00

Blimey, don't tell that lady who was outraged that her precious princess saw a bit of Bergerac the other day wink.

Nothing new there however - if you think about it Bambi starts with murdered parents, Nemo had the mother being killed at the beginning, Lion King the Dad gets killed in a traumatic fashion during the film, Big Hero 6 sees the lead characters brother get blown up and die and him deal with his grief, also see the Jungle Book (mother killed by Shere Khan), Frozen (dead parents), Tarzan (lost/dead parents?), Brother Bear (brother gets killed by bear)...to name a few that spring to mine & all U's I think?!

Stopandlook Sun 23-Oct-16 21:10:18

It's a PG isn't it?

fishybits Sun 23-Oct-16 21:11:35

My 4 year old was a bit worried at the start by the Bergens but was fine by the end and enjoyed it. Me on the other hand....... 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back. It's utter drivel.

ninjapants Sun 23-Oct-16 21:13:13

DS is 3, he loved it! It's the first movie we've watched together that he has actually sat the whole way through. There's so much singing, colour, fun and action that it distracts from the slightly scary or sad bits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now