kids breaking toys

(4 Posts)
aquickinandout Fri 21-Oct-16 13:21:41

Have name changed as this is outing but Maui, stop the cheque etc etc.

I have DS, 14months, just walking so I'm no parenting pro but would say my natural style is towards attahcment/ gentle parenting HOWEVER this scenario this morning left me a bit questioning. Would an attachment parent (or anyone else like to enlighten me).

I'm very live and let parent, each to their own etc but this morning at a community coffee morning (weekly, toys for kids but not a spevific bab group iyswim) mum with toddler, 20months - I overheard her tell someone else- lovely little boy, running around playing, attentive mum "good jumping", "yes, that's c3p0" etc but he was climbing on furniture, jumping on it and at one point climbed on a plastic toy truck and broke it. Mum definitely saw - she held his hand to help him step down and said "good climbing" then moved the toy to the side,complete with broken bit. At no point did she tell the child not to climb/ stand on toys or seem in the least bit concerned about the fact it had been broken. She seemed absolutely determined not to say "no" or "stop" or anything which modified his behavior in any way. At one point he stood on a baby to climb over it (approx 9 months, was commando crawling), baby unfussed but still.

AIBU to think that regardless of your parenting style breaking toys (particularly that aren't the childs own) and standing on other children just isn't on? Or am I being judgy?

Fluffsnuts Fri 21-Oct-16 14:46:17

hmm

Fluffsnuts Fri 21-Oct-16 14:47:25

Sorry, posted too soon. I agree with you. What's wrong with saying something like "we don't climb on other peoples toys", I think kids need to learn that different environments have different rules.

crispandcheesesanwichplease Fri 21-Oct-16 15:08:47

That's just crap and lazy parenting. Being a parent is about letting them develop their true selves, but it's also about teaching them a) to be safe themselves and safe around others b) to respect property c) to behave in socially acceptable ways.

That is not attachment parenting. It's lazy and entitled. Wonder if she'll be scratching her chin bemusedly when her child has no friends at school and doesn't get invited to parties etc. She's doing him no favours whatsoever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now