To be getting very frustrated with my GP ?

(4 Posts)
NutButterandJello Thu 20-Oct-16 19:28:01

I'm back from the GP again in tears !

I've been feeling rubbish for a while , very tired , feeling the cold , run down , my scalp and hair is dry , my hair is dull , my skin is dry and flaky .

I've gained 2 stones in less than a year and I'm struggling to lose it .

My DR ran some tests and my TSH for thyroid is 4.5. It is borderline high - the top range for high is 4.5.

My dr will not treat me for an under active thyroid because it's borderline .

I'm so frustrated !

Is this normal practice ? sad

ImSoVeryTired Thu 20-Oct-16 19:44:46

No but a lot of people struggle to get gps to take thyroid problems seriously.
It took me some time and in the end my GP put me on the lowest dose of thyroxine possible but it definitely made a difference. Before that I was tired and getting every bug going.
I'd go back again or ask to see a different GP. I know it's demoralising though but stick to your guns and try to get the treatment.

NutButterandJello Thu 20-Oct-16 19:50:23

The annoying thing about it is that they put another health problem down to my significant weight gain !! And in the same sentence said my TSH was 4.5 .

FeralBeryl Thu 20-Oct-16 20:01:45

You need to ask for a full thyroid screen to include thyroid antibodies, peroxidase etc.
I felt horrendous for months but TSH always normal.
I arranged further tests myself and they were off the scale.
I have hashimotos and on a big dose of thyroxine. They trialled me without (dangerous and not recommended) and my TSH was still fine but I was awfully unwell.
Ask to see/go and see an Endocrinologist yourself.
Thyroid issues are very difficult to adjust at GP level.
Also if you post on health on here, there are some absolute thyroid ninjas that will help you.
Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now