Unemployed selling joke books in the street...

(19 Posts)
Twogoats Thu 20-Oct-16 13:43:21

Does this happen in anyone else's town?

Every day there are two men who stand in our high street trying to catch the attention of people passing so that they can sell you an overpriced joke book (£3!)

Now, I don't have a problem with what they're doing, but I don't like the way that they do it. They hold the books like they're leaflets and try to make you take it before they explain that you have to pay for it. They hold it out in front of you, and say 'there you go love' (or similar). Once it's in your hand, they take their hands away and start their sales pitch about being unemployed and so on...

I fell for it the first time, but have managed to avoid it since. I just say no thank you and walk around them (their arm usually blocks my way!)

Does anyone else have this? Ainu to want it to stop?!?

OutDamnedWind Thu 20-Oct-16 13:47:19

Not recently, although it's usually for 'charity' around these parts.

usernotfound0000 Thu 20-Oct-16 13:53:55

This happens in my town (although could be the same town?!) It is super annoying and they only seem to target women too.

givemushypeasachance Thu 20-Oct-16 13:54:40

Is it the "Gag Mag"? They sell those all over the place - supposedly it's works a bit like the Big Issue in that the sellers buy the magazines and then keep part of the proceeds when they sell them on to the public. But it's not linked to a charity, and there regularly seem to be complaints about the sellers being rude, abusive or pushy and aggressive. I'd get in contact with your local council trading standards and report them.

This is what a trading standards rep said on a news article about Gag Mag sellers in another town: “If people have been verbally abused or if they feel they have been misled about goods bought or were pressured into buying – please report it via Citizens Advice Consumer helpline on 03454 040506 or their website and we will investigate."

Twogoats Thu 20-Oct-16 13:56:23

I do find them to abuse the politics of politeness. On the other hand, they're just trying to make a living...

Gah! I'm too soft to report!

peaceloveandbiscuits Thu 20-Oct-16 13:58:44

No, but we have a fella who pretends to be non-verbal and hands out crappy key rings with a sob story attached, then comes back for your money.

LadyAEIOU Thu 20-Oct-16 14:21:33

I had this and was sold two joke books by two different guys. When a third guy tried to sell me a first one guy 1 said to not do it which I found odd. Turns out it's the same content with different covers (basically to trick me into giving £9 for the same book three times). I had already bought two and was pissed.

starboyz Thu 20-Oct-16 15:08:31

not in my area but that must be well annoying

previously1474907171 Thu 20-Oct-16 15:10:00

Don't they need a licence?

Might be worth contacting the council although I think Police should move them on if they are made aware. Assuming you can find any Police on the streets these days.

HermioneJeanGranger Thu 20-Oct-16 15:17:26

They do it around here, but they're polite and if you don't want to buy, they say it's fine and move on. I've never had them shoved in my hands either.

Pretenditsaplan Thu 20-Oct-16 15:25:41

They stopped them doing it here as they got so aggressive. It did help half of the jokes were usually racist, sexist, etc

JellyBelli Thu 20-Oct-16 15:28:14

They shouldnt shove it in your hands and say 'there oyu go'. report them to the council, they can lose their licence to hawk.
That used to be a favourite tactic of the Hari Krishnas in my town, and they used to ignore the adults and target kids angry

SaturdaySurprise Thu 20-Oct-16 16:15:37

I haven't seen the Gag Mag, but I was in Rome earlier this year and I was in a touristy area. One of those rose-sellers came and gave a rose to a woman tourist. She seemed to genuinely think it was a gift and thanked him with a big smile. It was so funny. He then had to explain that it was 5 Euros or whatever. She didn't really understand or didn't want to pay so he took it back.

Twogoats Thu 20-Oct-16 18:50:34

Yes, it's the 'Gag Mag'. A quick Google tells me that they don't even have an official website... Hmmmm...

HouseOfGingerbread Thu 20-Oct-16 19:29:17

The Gag Mag, and its sellers are very dodgy. Very pushy in the small Northern city with a cathedral and two unis where I live. My mum bought one once, believing it was a student thing, and the jokes in it would have been considered disgraceful in the 1970s, let alone now.

ThereIsNoFelange Thu 20-Oct-16 19:36:40

Yeah. Report them to the Council for a momentary inconvenience. Not like life isn't hard enough for them already hmm

FFS.

Twogoats Thu 20-Oct-16 19:51:25

Thereisnofelange

I have said that I won't be reporting them, I just don't like them.

I know that life is hard for them. It's hard for all working-class people, myself included.

ThereIsNoFelange Thu 20-Oct-16 19:53:42

Comment was directed at those who suggested it. Not you. Apologies, I should have made that clear.

DaveMinion Thu 20-Oct-16 21:53:43

I was in that city the other day and saw one guy. We are on holiday and from down south. Just big issue down our way. We declined.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now