AIBU to think I don't need to get fully dressed (wearing a bra) to clean?

(13 Posts)
CreativeBee Wed 19-Oct-16 19:43:15

Ok so I know my AIBU question sounds odd so here's why I ask it, my house is an absolute state and we're beginning to get some normality back after months of building work (only have a corridor to paint and then it's all done). Today I decided I'd had enough of living in disarray (I'm very disorganised in general and I've always struggled to stay organised even before the building work started) and looked at FlyLady, her second step stated that you should get fully dressed every morning, makeup, hair the lot, including shoes! I'm going to be really honest but as I'm at home, lets call it "in between jobs" I'm in my loungers all day (ok pyjamas but in my defence they don't look like pyjamas) and I hate wearing a bra, I feel really restricted. I'll wear a bra when I go out due to my huge boobs that are definitely trying to tickle my toes but as soon as I'm in the house the first thing to come off is my bra. I just want to know AIBU to think I'd be more "free" and comfortable without getting dressed to clean, being honest if I didn't have vertical blinds that had gaps on the side, allowing people to see in to my house I'd clean in my knickers and cami grin

gettingitwrongputtingitright Wed 19-Oct-16 19:45:19

Of course tis fine. My neighbour knocked on the other day, I had a see yhrough beach cover onhmm I answered while hiding behind the door.

flumpybear Wed 19-Oct-16 19:45:46

Wow you slut!!! Nahhh!!! I always clean my house in my jamas or vest and pants (I don't go outside !!) - then I can have a bath or shower afterwards - definitely no bra - definitely not reading fly lady - sounds horrific!!!! 1920's boarding school

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Wed 19-Oct-16 19:46:51

I'm with FlyLady but, it's your house, you're the one doing the cleaning - and it's your boobs - so do what you want.

I wouldn't not wear a bra because I know the first time I did that, the doorbell would ring and I'd forget, and I have unpredictable nipples. blush

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 19-Oct-16 19:47:23

Psychologically, it's generally not good for people to not get dressed - being in your pyjamas all day is likely to have a negative impact on your mental health, and most people don't notice that until much later.

Getting dressed is also a good marker that you are going to do something properly, which is why it's advised that people who work from home still get dressed.

That said, it's up to you what you clean in. I think my boobs would hurt if I was moving my arms without a bra on all day, but I don't hate my bras - they do the job and they are relatively comfortable. I feel a bit undressed without a bra on. I do ditch it in the evenings. If you're happier without a bra, and want to clean like that, go for it. (I so almost said knock yourself out, ha!)

LadyCallandraDaviot Wed 19-Oct-16 19:48:08

Yes, that is my Saturday morning routine - clean in pyjamas, then them in wash, me in shower and get on with the rest of the day

Randytortoise Wed 19-Oct-16 19:48:18

If I wear anything other than joggers or pj's when I clean I end up procrastinating and going out rather than staying in to clean. I can't go out if I'm not properly dressed!

HedgehogHedgehog Wed 19-Oct-16 19:48:35

I think it does help if you get dressed like you would if you were going to go outside because it affects your state of mind. Like if you are dressed to relax rather than work its more likely you will not want to do the cleaning. Getting prepared as though you are going out puts you in the mindset that you are not just lounging in the house you are going to get things done.
I think thats the point of it anyway!! It certainly does work for me, im much more likely to sort the house out if ive sorted my self out by washing my hair and getting dressed with makeup on etc
Good luck with the cleaning!! x

Letmesleepalready Wed 19-Oct-16 19:52:15

Personally, I can't contemplate cleaning in anything less than a fully corseted dress and high heels.
Only joking, you'll usually find me hanging the washing out in my dressing gown.
I do think there's a psychological aspect in getting fully dressed, as it means you can tackle anything that comes up, like hanging the laundry or taking the bins out. And I think she talks about it from a depression point of view, if you can take care of yourself/clothes/hygiene, you're one step closer to managing to get things done. Sometimes just getting dressed can be an achievement if you are really depressed.

CreativeBee Wed 19-Oct-16 19:53:52

Slut hahahaha my DH loves it, he would love for me to wear a skimpy maids outfit, imagine opening the door in that hahahaha.
What you said DeepBreath makes me wonder if that's the reason I'm so unorganised, not being in the mindset for work and I know that the only way I can relax is by letting the 'ladies out' so it could be psychological that no bra equals relaxation hmm

Alicesmith85 Wed 19-Oct-16 19:56:34

I get up and do my cleaning at 6.30 am normally so clean in my pjs, then shower dress and make up ready for the day s no you arent! X

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Wed 19-Oct-16 19:56:43

Ohh. They're not 'ladies' though eww. Boobs or breasts! confused

CreativeBee Wed 19-Oct-16 20:03:22

I can just about get my backside out of bed at 6.30 to make coffee Alicesmith shock I couldn't even imagine starting my cleaning at that time! I'm seriously unorganised, I need someone standing behind me with a stick and a to do list!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now