"I think it's best we speak on the phone." AIBU?

(14 Posts)
4two4 Wed 19-Oct-16 09:33:28

I hate it when people say this when it comes to things that are primarily visual or sales related. Like needing to see pictures of property, or stuff that's advertised for sale where there are no pictures. As all we're going to do is exchange an email after the phone call with the pictures attached and I am going to make my gut decision then whether I like it or not and the preliminary chat is potentially wasted. I understand if you want a chat after I've said I would like to buy said item or move into said short let, to make sure I am not a serial killer, but while all the options are open and we're just in the browsing stage, I don't think it's "best to speak on the phone."

First of all, I have DCs climbing over me all day, who, if I try to make a serious phone call, will pull the phone away from my ear or shout mummy mummy. If I try to leave the room they will scream and cry muuuuuummmy so I can't even concentrate on the phone call or conversations.

AIBU to want to be able to deal with most things like this, where possible, over email or the internet so that I don't have to "arrange a time" for a call to speak to everyone who is trying to sell me something or thinks a buying/selling situation is "too complex" to explain in writing. It often isn't, and if it's that confusing it needs to be written down.

redexpat Wed 19-Oct-16 09:49:56

YANBU. Just say that it's not possible to have a telephone conversation, and that you are only available on email.

pipsqueak25 Wed 19-Oct-16 09:54:19

yanbu, don't take calls just email instead, as for selling stuff you don't want, say no thanks and put the phone down.

ConvincingLiar Wed 19-Oct-16 09:56:14

If youre that customer say it's not convenient to talk. If they want your business they can get it in a way that suits you.

milkyface Wed 19-Oct-16 10:01:51

YANBU. I had a colleague who would email me all the info I needed, then ring me 30 seconds after to discuss it. WHY. I do know how to read, moron!!

ShaunPaul Wed 19-Oct-16 10:29:32

I love it when someone at work says it's best to speak on the phone. That means juicy gossip that they're not willing to put down in an email grin

Scribblegirl Wed 19-Oct-16 10:35:39

YANBU. I hate talking on the phone and I express myself far better in writing. Plus there's less chance of a detail being missed if it's all in writing and I can think about it before sending!

I've been trying to book a big taxi pick up for a group and so many companies let me send them an email enquiry and then reply 'let's talk on the phone'. No! You clearly have email and I want time to think about your quote rather than feeling pushed into a quick yes/no.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Wed 19-Oct-16 10:43:12

I really dislike being obliged to give a phone number when ordering anything online, even something very small. I don't WANT anyone ringing me! And I certainly don't want my number passed on. I have been known to make one up if the order won't be accepted without.

On one occasion when I'd ordered something for express delivery, I was told that a phone number was necessary in case of any problems. Oh, OK then.
I waited in all day for the item to be delivered, only it wasn't. When I phoned the next day to ask why, they said that unfortunately it was out of stock after all.
So why TF didn't you phone and let me know ???
To be entirely fair they did give me a hefty gift voucher as compensation.

APlaceOnTheCouch Wed 19-Oct-16 10:44:34

YANBU. I like to have a written record and always think when people want to speak on the phone, it's partly because they're trying to avoid liability when they mis-describe something.

user1476140278 Wed 19-Oct-16 10:59:01

YANBU. I'm self employed and work from home providing a service which needs nothing more than regular email contact.

Yet I REPEATEDLY get the odd tosser who thinks "Skype would be useful"

NO.

It won't be useful.

It's shit and I work from home so I don't need to wear makeup or clothing

Me2017 Wed 19-Oct-16 11:14:32

My voicemail says it is much quicker to contact me for work by email so people just have to put up with that. I am not saying I don't take calls but they are at my leisure.

Also BT want to speak to me about a phone line order thing and they have no means of letting me call back or write or email and they never catch me on the phone so their systems which are designed to force everyone to communicate only by telephone basically leave us to a stand off. Their fault.

I sell my time. I don't mind long phone calls with someone else paying of course but I am not giving you time on the phone if you aren't paying me for it.

nocampinghere Wed 19-Oct-16 11:18:36

YANBU. I like to have a written record and always think when people want to speak on the phone, it's partly because they're trying to avoid liability when they mis-describe something.

THIS!
i hate the phone. just email me!

i have emailed to book a place on a school open day (as indicated by the admissions section of the website)- got an email back asking me to phone the head of admissions to confirm the place. WHY?! i still haven't got round to it... it was months ago. open day is in 2 weeks. better had hadn't I?!

4two4 Wed 19-Oct-16 23:07:19

So glad I am not alone.

There is an unsaid belief that people who speak in the phone are working harder because you can actually hear it, I think. :& people feel they have to communicate in the phone to prove they are working hard.

Me2017 Fri 21-Oct-16 17:54:33

I agreed a call with someone today as we fixed a price in advance to speak.... then they changed the time by an nour which meant my morning was messed around (but they did not even consider that) and then they went on longer than agreed and I suppose I could have cut them off sooner but did not have the hear to and nothing was advanced any more than in my 2 minute email of advice the night before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now