DH being U about baby in restaurant?

(528 Posts)
StripedSwad Tue 18-Oct-16 17:22:01

We are on holiday with 3 month BF baby. There's a fancy restaurant on site which we are booked in to

we have his mother with us, who will babysit, but she would need to bring baby down to us if he needs to be fed. Restaurant has said no to this as is adults only.

DH thinks this is terrible and wants to complain as baby will only be down a short while and purely for feeding, whereas I think it's just one of those things you accept with a baby and we will just have to eat elsewhere. So who is right?

ByeByeLilSebastian Tue 18-Oct-16 17:23:01

You are right imo

Forgiveorforget Tue 18-Oct-16 17:23:05

You are!

Minniemagoo Tue 18-Oct-16 17:23:43

Surely its possible to eat a meal between feeds without this being a problem?

PotatoBread Tue 18-Oct-16 17:24:38

You are! Though as restaurant is on site could you not feed him before you leave or meet MIL back in room if it's an emergency?

Oysterbabe Tue 18-Oct-16 17:24:47

Of course you're right. You can always step outside the restaurant to feed.

StripedSwad Tue 18-Oct-16 17:24:57

minnie not really as she feeds quite often in the evenings. It may be possible but by no means a definite! So i think we have to assume not

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Tue 18-Oct-16 17:25:32

You chose to book a place in a restaurant which said adults only. Their gaff, their rules.

Your husband is being precious.

Minniemagoo Tue 18-Oct-16 17:28:13

Oh thats a bummer baby is still at that stage and you're right best to give it a miss.

Costacoffeeplease Tue 18-Oct-16 17:29:13

Yes HIBU

supercaliforniasurfer Tue 18-Oct-16 17:32:06

Personally if I am paying to go somewhere that is adults only, that is how I want it, and yes I have had two DC, one of whom I bf.

It is an incredibly rare treat for me to be out without the children - so if I had booked a restaurant like that, I would expect it to be child free (and I am broody at the mere sight of a newborn!)

CozyAutumn Tue 18-Oct-16 17:33:03

How come his mum will need to bring baby down to be fed?
Are you breastfeeding?

passingthrough1 Tue 18-Oct-16 17:37:57

Unless you can feed in a foyer area or something?

JenLindleyShitMom Tue 18-Oct-16 17:39:28

Would baby take and expressed bottle?

Andromache77 Tue 18-Oct-16 17:39:34

He's wrong, you're right. I also breastfed my baby and still do, though far less frequently now of course, and I've taken her mostly everywhere, but I always made sure that it was an appropriate place. A fine dining restaurant with an adults-only policy is not one of them. It would be unfair on other diners and stressful for you, find somewhere nice and more informal.

arethereanyleftatall Tue 18-Oct-16 17:42:18

You are right.

There are so few places that are adults only.

It isn't difficult to avoid them with babies.

Dontpanicpyke Tue 18-Oct-16 17:42:25

Nope if it's their policy then that's that.

Will he be snuggling her into his case on a sandles holiday? grin

He sounds sweet though op. I like men who get PFB.

StripedSwad Tue 18-Oct-16 17:43:09

Won't take bottle and don't have any with us, or steriliser etc. Glad people agree - I'd feel self conscious anyway

Andrewofgg Tue 18-Oct-16 17:44:06

You are of course right. The owners want an adult ambience.

Lollipopgirls Tue 18-Oct-16 17:46:17

Your DH is BU. Adults-only restaurants are just that. If they bend the rules for some but not for others that's not fair. Other diners presumably want a child-free meal in the adults-only restaurant. Even if that child is a baby, having the baby come into the restaurant with your mum, then all of you looking at the baby/talking about the baby/the baby crying or whatever spoils the adults-only mood.

He needs to get used to it, because it won't be the last time his preferred experience is refused! That's life with children smile

Lollipopgirls Tue 18-Oct-16 17:48:04

Unless your mum brings baby down, you meet her just outside and feed her somewhere quiet nearby but outside and your mum keeps DH company for the rest of the meal... you might get lucky and time it so your baby is between feeds when you are eating!

T0ddlerSlave Tue 18-Oct-16 17:49:01

I'd leave the restaurant if you can feed in 20 mins or less.

AmeliaJack Tue 18-Oct-16 17:51:26

I'm very pro breastfeeding. I exclusive breastfed twins for well over a year.

I fed my babies in public places hundreds of times.

But your DH is wrong.

Certain places are not appropriate for babies/small children, either through safety, noise or ambiance.

The owners will have invested money in designing an adult only fine dining experience and it's no doubt expensive.

I'd be furious if I had arranged an expensive meal out with my DH and had to sit near a screaming baby.

It's just not fair to the other diners.

Your instincts are right.

YoungGirlGrowingOld Tue 18-Oct-16 17:56:46

Your DH is BU. Not fair on other diners who have chosen a grown-up meal in a posh restaurant.

ZuleikaDobson Tue 18-Oct-16 18:01:55

Are you in the UK? If so, the restaurant is acting illegally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now