to think uti's are not catching

(13 Posts)
TheoriginalLEM Mon 17-Oct-16 22:56:13

at the end of last week i went down with a uti. Its finally gone after three days and ABs but normally goes within hours of getting ABS.

It hasn't this time and i feel ropey still but they gave me different ABs. So not the usual pattern.

So im off work this week anyway. Look on Facebook and a colleague i work closely with has now got the same.

Its a coincidence surely??

Tarla Mon 17-Oct-16 22:59:06

I thought they can only be caught from someone you're having sex with? I get frequent UTIs and each time the GP tells me to avoid sex until it's gone or else DH and I will pass it back and forth.

Tarla Mon 17-Oct-16 23:00:13

I don't mean you only get a UTI from having sex, just that that's the only way you can catch one from another person who already has a preexisting UTI. Just to clarify.

I'm very tired.

DoctorBeat Mon 17-Oct-16 23:01:36

No they are not catching. Bacteria from your own poo gets into your urethra and causes them. Hth.

TheoriginalLEM Mon 17-Oct-16 23:01:43

well thats what i thought too! my colleague and i have most definitely not been getting it on. shock

Rainbunny Tue 18-Oct-16 00:23:25

I had exactly the same experience OP! I have had a UTI only once in my life several years ago. I went to Dr before going into work and discovered that my coworker was also late getting to the office due to a "dentist" visit. At lunch she told me she'd actually been to her Dr because she had a UTI and this was a first time ever for her also (we were both in our early 30's). Neither of us has had one since.

Strange coincidence... of course we both know how you get a UTI but we did consider whether some chicken we both ate several days before from a catered work lunch (cheap indian takeaway food) could be connected since that link has been made for several years.

www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/07/how-your-chicken-dinner-is-creating-a-drug-resistant-superbug/259700/

WhisperingLoudly Tue 18-Oct-16 00:26:20

No idea but I'm shock at your colleague posting details of their UTI on FaceBook

steff13 Tue 18-Oct-16 00:28:57

Is the colleague suggesting that she caught it from you?

mymilkshakes00 Tue 18-Oct-16 00:45:14

Why would your friend post about a uti on Facebook ?
Everyone gets uti now and then.
Uti is not contagious.

mothattack Tue 18-Oct-16 05:10:34

I think Rainbunny may be onto something... off/ bad food = more bacteria eg e coli (a main culprit I think?) in body = (possibly) more chance of a uti.

Eating the same bad food could give the same increased risk to the colleague, so perhaps not just a coincidence in Rainbunny's case.

I'm not sure there could be a link other than by food/ ingestion/ direct contact though.

Rainbunny Tue 18-Oct-16 14:47:54

Mothattack - I'm sure it was just a coincidence but what a strange one! Two women in their early thirties never having had a UTI in their lives previously, both get UTIs at the exact same time!

If I'm buying meat at the grocery store I only buy organic now to avoid meat that antibiotics were used on (as a result I buy less meat which is better anyway) and I avoid chicken dishes when it's a cheap restaurant/takeaway type of place also.

Rainbunny Tue 18-Oct-16 14:53:52

Mothattack - Oh and thank you for explaining the causal connection that I was alluding to - I did mean that the possibility of bad chicken introducing an e-coli type bacteria into our systems may have increased the chances that we coincidentally developed UTIs, not that we "caught" the UTIs directly from eating the chicken!

TheoriginalLEM Tue 18-Oct-16 17:44:29

she didn't post directly, just that she was off sick and then i asked. I simply thougjt it was a coincidence. I used to get uti's alot and this girl has dodgy kidneys.

Interestingly two other colleagues have gone sick with stomach bugs. I felt as sick as a parrot with my uti which i don't usually. So maybe a bug that left myself and colleadue susceptible but most likely a coincidence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now