Inappropriate tv at Inlaws

(300 Posts)
Zippyette Mon 17-Oct-16 21:43:02

Whilst I was at in laws on Sunday a dead body was on the TV screen whilst my FIL watched beregerac. I said at the time it wasnt appropriate for my 3 yo daughter but FIL just responded by saying 'she doesn't look very well' to his granddaughter. I was fuming so we left soon after.
I've said to my husband that we should say something to his parents before we visit next time such as ' can you make sure you're not watching an adult programme next time we visit?' (Or something similar -ideas?!) But he thinks we should ask them to turn the telly off or over if it happens again as he doesn't want to upset them. I'm saying I'm being proactive as they're still going to get upset and feel he's putting his parents feelings before our need to protect our child. He disagrees.

So now I gave two choices - either phone them up and say something - potentially upsetting them (which I've already done when I turned the telly over to cbbc bedtime when we were visiting over the summer as it was near bedtime and I wanted something calming) or go along with my husband.
What would you do?

VladmirsPoutine Mon 17-Oct-16 21:44:55

I'd find something more important to get worked up about tbh.

Ginmakesitallok Mon 17-Oct-16 21:45:47

Bergerac?? It's hardly game of thrones is it??

Homebird90 Mon 17-Oct-16 21:46:37

I'd not make a big deal of it - if similar happens again I'd say

"is it alright to turn it over please? DD's frightened"

My parents got the right hump when I practically had to wrestle the remote off them in MY OWN HOME when they were watching a particularly shouty, violent episode of Eastenders and my sensitive 4 yo DD was in the room.

SalemSaberhagen Mon 17-Oct-16 21:47:39

gingrin

rumpelstiltskin43 Mon 17-Oct-16 21:47:46

You're being rediculous. Stop being so precious.

Soubriquet Mon 17-Oct-16 21:47:50

I think you are over reacting

Your dd probably didn't even notice until there was a fuss and even if she did it's easy to say oh they're playing

HeCantBeSerious Mon 17-Oct-16 21:48:08

We weren't very happy when BBC lunchtime news showed a police officer having his leg blown off during rioting several times when DD was about 3 - there was no warning whatsoever.

But a pretend corpse on Bergerac? I'd not be too stressed about that.

MrsCookieMonster78 Mon 17-Oct-16 21:49:32

I would get a life maybe or distract my child from the TV when I'm in someone else's house and they are entitled to watch what they like.
Hoping this is a joke, if not be thankful this is the biggest problem you have with PIL.

Hiphopopotamus Mon 17-Oct-16 21:49:35

Did your FD actually care or get upset, or was it just you making a fuss?
Do you expect them to switch over to cbeebies when you're there?

Hiphopopotamus Mon 17-Oct-16 21:49:55

Obviously DD not FD!

NerrSnerr Mon 17-Oct-16 21:50:17

Isn't Bergerac on in the day anyway? I mean, it's no Murder, She Wrote but I'm sure your child will be fine.

PberryT Mon 17-Oct-16 21:51:46

😂 😂

Imagine the DM sad face "My 3 year old was terrified by Bergerac".

glasgowlass Mon 17-Oct-16 21:52:58

Do you normally act so preciously & overreact to trivial things? It's Bergerac, it's not actually real! Do you let your child watch Disney (or similar) movies where a character dies?

Katinkka Mon 17-Oct-16 21:53:47

Lol. You're ridiculous

SolomanDaisy Mon 17-Oct-16 21:54:30

I seem to be in the minority, but I wouldn't want my 5 year old to see that. I don't watch any sort of adult drama when he's around and no one has ever suggested it would be ok. I think for a couple of hours your in laws could delay watching an ancient episode of Bergerac.

BeingATwatItsABingThing Mon 17-Oct-16 21:56:37

which I've already done when I turned the telly over to cbbc bedtime when we were visiting over the summer as it was near bedtime and I wanted something calming

Did you say anything before turning it over? I'd be pretty hacked off if you did that.

Your DD is unlikely to be bothered by a pretend dead body.

Marilynsbigsister Mon 17-Oct-16 21:58:10

You are one strange lady although part of me thinks this is so loony you may actually be a piss take of 'in-law' angst.. as played out in Humpty Dumpty AIBU's . Either way . Desist and grow up. Watching Bergerac will not psychologically ruin your child. Find something else to bug your in laws and dh about.!

ThoraGruntwhistle Mon 17-Oct-16 21:59:49

What the fudge? Bergerac is not going to traumatise your child due to its extreme triple X detective content or anything. Are you usually offended by the Channel Islands?

PotteringAlong Mon 17-Oct-16 22:00:33

on Sunday a dead body was on the TV screen

It's Bergerac, not know as the epitome of great acting. I bet if you watched closely you could see the dead body breathing!

Don't sweat the small stuff.

TinnedChickenSoupCunt Mon 17-Oct-16 22:04:22

Welcome to Mumsnet

Stevefromstevenage Mon 17-Oct-16 22:05:20

Good one OP. grin Bergerac 'wont somebody think of the children' classic. grin

EastMidsMummy Mon 17-Oct-16 22:05:36

YABU.

Creampastry Mon 17-Oct-16 22:09:27

Bergerac .........!!!!

kaitlinktm Mon 17-Oct-16 22:10:20

I honestly wouldn't worry about Bergerac - your DD probably thought the guy was lying down with a headache.

Years ago my DM, in all innocence, recorded Trainspotting for my then 10-year-old son - because he liked trains.

Fortunately I found out before she could let him watch it at her house (she hadn't watched it herself). Her reaction when I explained what it was about was annoyance "Well, fancy calling it Trainspotting then. How am I supposed to know?" hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now