to think mil is over thinking gender specific colour

(78 Posts)
lalaroo Sun 16-Oct-16 21:11:41

our beautiful dd was born a few months ago, mil suprised us one evening a few months prior to our spare room redecorated a lovely soft pink , didn't mind this at all looked lush. fast forward a few months me and do buy our daughter new sheets and sleeping bags just so happens that the blue ones are half price all neutral and pinks are not. we buy them without hesitation. (saves us money) mil sees this offers us.money to take back and replace for pink 'girly' items. I refuse to do this. when did colour become so gender specific or aibu?? (she looks beautiful in her dark blue bedding complete with firetrucks)...

lalaroo Sun 16-Oct-16 21:12:27

* was supposed to say DP damn typo

Osirus Sun 16-Oct-16 21:14:18

You are not unreasonable!

Only1scoop Sun 16-Oct-16 21:15:44

Do you mean mil surprised you by decorating for you?
She probably just thought they would match nicer and if the money was an issue she would treat you?
Don't overthink it

newmumwithquestions Sun 16-Oct-16 21:16:10

YANBU - but I dress my DDs in boys clothes (as well as girls). I actually think it's easier as you can put girls in blue but it's harder to put boys in pink (it shouldnt be but somehow is).
The whole colour stereotyping is silly. But if you go down the route of not always dressing your DD in pink expect comments about what a lovely boy you have!

Heirhelp Sun 16-Oct-16 21:16:58

I often dress my DD in blue. It confuses some people but she is only 5 months so gender is not something she is aware over and I always think of babies as gender netutal. I want my child to be able to wear all of the colours of the rainbow. My DD Loves her dinosaur sleeping bag. 'Boys' things tend to be in brighter colours which more interesting for babies as their eye sight is still developing.

Either get your DH to or have a word with her yourself. I would be inclined to always dress her in green or blue when you see MIL but I like to wind up my MIL.

LottieDoubtie Sun 16-Oct-16 21:17:21

Yanbu

Minisoksmakehardwork Sun 16-Oct-16 21:17:52

Yanbu but I wonder if mil just thought you'd rather have bedclothes that matched the room than specifically wanting to change them because 'blue if for boys'.

lalaroo Sun 16-Oct-16 21:18:31

she said it isn't girly enough and is boys bedding... and yes she did she decorated our spare room a lovely pink. No money isn't so much of a issue we could have bought it, but we thought why spend that much on sleeping bags we will have to replace in 6 months, but I didn't think oh boys when I bought it. but more like oh bargain!

lalaroo Sun 16-Oct-16 21:19:26

my mil thinks this is so unreasonable for a girl. massive eyeroll

lalaroo Sun 16-Oct-16 21:20:34

confuses me too. best not send her out in the black top I bought her to mil!

Minisoksmakehardwork Sun 16-Oct-16 21:20:51

In that case swbu. My mil is lovely but we've had the colour conversation a few times over the years.

In my experience, it's nearly always the blues which are cheaper or on sale compared to the pinks in the same range. We've had a varied collection of bedclothes and my favourite ever one was dd1's lovely blue sleeping bag with a spaceman on it.

EmbarassedQuestion Sun 16-Oct-16 21:21:19

Gosh I'd be more annoyed at the fact she redecorated a room in my house without my knowledge and consent than the faffing over pink.

Only1scoop Sun 16-Oct-16 21:22:22

The pink room being decorated would have freaked me out more than a little tractor quilt

Childrenofthestones Sun 16-Oct-16 21:23:12

Well done. Far too many gender restricted goods are being bought for children and its great to hear about the fire engines. Kudos.
The MIL sounds well loaded with internalised misogyny. Best cut her out of your daughters life to stop her being lead astray by her.

lalaroo Sun 16-Oct-16 21:25:03

she said she is visiting dunelm tomorrow and muttered something about flower stencils...

lalaroo Sun 16-Oct-16 21:28:12

She's not yet seen the blue nappy stacker...grin

altiara Sun 16-Oct-16 21:36:06

YANBU but i don't think MIL is BU if she wants your bedding all to match. Although she probably should've kept that in her head! And also thinking you couldn't afford it, if you couldn't, why would bedding be a priority when in 6 mths you're buying more. I have to say I would've hated her decorating my baby's room pink, as I had a baby jungle theme and I knew I was having a girl.
My DM was like this when Dd got moved into her big girls room. I bought some beautiful bedding and curtains from next, pink, white and light green with polka dots, girly but in a grown up way. DM heard 'green (dark forest green)' and went out and bought plain pink bedding, this combined with the pink bed (cheaper than white) and DH managing to paint the entire room pink instead of 2 walks meant the room could have looked like candy floss - seriously puke inducing awful. The room needs other colours to make the pink bearable (like pale green)

blueturtle6 Sun 16-Oct-16 21:36:38

Traditionally blue is a girls colour and pink is for boys.
Dd looks great in blue, has blue sleeping bags,and has boys socks because they have cars on them (and they are thicker!)

blueturtle6 Sun 16-Oct-16 21:38:25

Ps I like pink, and dd has pink clothes, just not everything!

FKat2016 Sun 16-Oct-16 21:44:32

Went to mothercare the other day. The colour options for bewborn clothes were: blue, pink or white/cream. How bloody dull?! It's 2016 for gods sake, I can't believe it's still like this.

lalaroo Sun 16-Oct-16 21:47:25

blueturtles6 I like pink too smile

Booboostwo Sun 16-Oct-16 22:39:02

80% of DS's clothes have been inherited from DD, that is, pretty much all her clothes with the exception of her dresses of which she didn't have that many. They come in all colours and designs, some are what you'd call girlie as they have bows or pleats in them but he couldn't care less and neither can I. If anything he loves the sparkly tops. My SIL visibly shudders when she sees DS wearing pink!

ErrolTheDragon Sun 16-Oct-16 22:47:41

Yanbu, thats lovely bedding. IMO kids like having lots of different colours, don't worry about matching unless they want it when they're older. Pink is ok in moderation but can be insipid.

lalaroo Sun 16-Oct-16 22:50:31

me and ur ds are the same booboostwo I love a good shimmer and sparkle myself

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now