Aibu to ask if anyone has a 'mother's helper' and if so, what do they do?

(3 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Sun 16-Oct-16 10:16:22

Not sure if they're common in the uk but I've heard of them a few times here in Ireland. From what I can gather, they come in for a few hours and will give a helping hand with the kids/cleaning/meal prep while you're still at home (so they're not expected to mind the kids or run the house all on their own).

Just wondering if anyone has experience of them. I don't personally know anyone who has used one so can't find much info.

HughLauriesStubble Sun 16-Oct-16 15:02:17

Anybody?

CQ Sun 16-Oct-16 15:13:04

I had one when I first came home from hospital with DD. She'd had open heart surgery as a newborn, I had DS already who was 2, DH had been allowed loads of compassionate leave while we were in and out of hospitals with DD but of course he had to get back to work.

I was an emotional and physical wreck, I'd had a C-section so couldn't drive, DD was very sore and cried a lot, DS had had his little world turned upside down.

I phoned a local Nanny agency and basically cried down the phone! They sent me a 'mothers help' who saved us all. She came from 3 to 6pm - the hardest time of day - she took DS to the park for an hour, or took DD out in the pram for an hour, depending on what DS wanted as often he wanted some time with mummy on his own. She would sort out laundry, cook the tea, bath DS, read him stories, or cuddle DD and give her a bottle while I bathed DS. You get the picture.

She was absolutely brilliant and saved us all. Like Mary Poppins, she wasn't with us for long but I honestly think every penny was well spent.

DD is now 15 and in school holidays she often does 'mothers helper' jobs for the neighbours - she'll go round and play with little ones while mums get on with work or other jobs. She loves it and gets paid for it. The neighbours save their sanity. Win win.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now