About neighbour painting their fence

(14 Posts)
TheWeeBabySeamus1 Sat 15-Oct-16 19:32:19

My next door neighbour has been out painting her fence this afternoon (one side is also the fence to my garden) and it's made a right mess of my side. The fence was originally varnished quite dark but the new paint is orangey so it really stands out.

So as not to drop feed this isn't the only garden related issue I've had with her- she's has planted trees and bushes up against the shared fence. Unfortunately she's planted them too close and then when they've grown too big instead of moving them she's cut huge holes in the fence so they're growning into my garden. I also had to tell her a few months ago as she was hanging washing over the fence instead of on her line and it was constantly blowing off and I was having to go and collect her washing from my lawn. And the bloody plant she bought that started half a foot high and ended up so big it was blocking my bathroom window...

It all sounds really petty but it's pissing me off. It's like she thinks she has a right to do this - she wasn't happy when I asked her to stop with the washing and acted like I was being unreasonable so I know she won't be happy if I mention the paint.

So WIBU to go and ask her/pop a note through the door? I don't care if she paints it or cleans it off, as long as it looks tidy.

luckylucky24 Sat 15-Oct-16 19:36:08

It depends how much has gone through.
YWNBU to speak to her about it.

mineofuselessinformation Sat 15-Oct-16 19:41:31

Paint your side when she has finished hers.
Use hedge trimmers to cut all foliage back flush with the fence.
Gather washing and make sure it is covered in mud or dog shit.

RedBlu Sat 15-Oct-16 19:41:38

Is it her fence or your fence? I believe the "rules" are if it's your fence, she has to ask permission to paint it. If it's her fence, she can do what she wants.

However, she should have been more careful. We painted our fences in the summer took sodding ages as I was paranoid about paint leaking through to other people's sides!

If you have more of your paint left, could you paint over it to cover it up?

If you mention it to her, what outcome do you want?

TheWeeBabySeamus1 Sat 15-Oct-16 19:44:40

That's the thing - it's not loads, but it is on every panel and because it's such a contrasting colour it really stands out. Which is why I'm not sure if it's petty or not.

The only reason I've not had a word already is that I'm not sure how much my annoyance is caused by previous incidents. I get the feeling that because she's older than me and has lived here a while she thinks she doesn't have to respect my home/garden - she almost seems to see my garden as an extension of hers IYSWIM.

OohMavis Sat 15-Oct-16 19:45:48

Wait, she cut HOLES in the FENCE to allow her plants to grow?!

The time for putting a big foot down has long since passed my friend.

TheWeeBabySeamus1 Sat 15-Oct-16 19:47:49

It's HA property so neither of us "own" the fence, all the tenancy says is that tenants are responsible for upkeep and maintanence of them. And the housing varnished while I was waiting to move in (house needed some work) so don't have any left over to cover up.

WatchingFromTheWings Sat 15-Oct-16 19:50:12

I'd complain to the HA in that case. They won't be pleased with her cutting holes in the fence!

WatchingFromTheWings Sat 15-Oct-16 19:50:51

And you don't want her saying you did it at the next inspection or if she moves.

TheWeeBabySeamus1 Sat 15-Oct-16 19:55:06

Yup, bloody holes, and I can't even trim the plants back as it's the main "body" of the plant rather than the branches (showing off my excellent knowledge of plants there wink).

So I wouldn't be out of order to just ask? I have a tendency to be a bit territorial (I was the dick in primary school who put a ruler in the middle of the desk and demanded the other person stayed on their side) so have to double check if it's a valid complaint or me being a weirdo. grin

TheWeeBabySeamus1 Sat 15-Oct-16 19:58:39

And you don't want her saying you did it at the next inspection or if she moves.

That's a good point - if the HA think I've cut the holes I'll have to pay.

I'll put a polite note through her door tomorrow to ask her to make my side good again. If no luck I'll call the housing "casually" enquiring about whose responsibility the fence is because xyz has happened - that way I technically haven't grassed, merely enquired winkgrin

JoJoSM2 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:11:38

Yes, you can cut whatever is in your garden. If it's the main trunk then she'll end up with a stump in her garden but you won't have done anything wrong. Since it's a HA house - was she even allowed to plant anything big? She might not be as big shrubs or trees could affect fences, paving and even house foundations. Her behaviour has been completely ridiculous and unacceptable. I would t just post a note through the door. You need to arrange a meeting and discuss the issues. I'd also complain to the HA.

user1475440127 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:22:28

I have a problem whereby neither side paint their fence. I paid for all the fencing and have offered to paint their side too ( very dark brown )I used to be able to access one side when there were no tenants but alas the landlord has wedged the fences in the post so I cant lift one to gain access.
I think some people are so bloody inconsiderate.I'm tired of replacing rotten panels and caps. Next door ( not rented) never paints their side as it cost too much ( I offered to do the job )
From what I have learned is that HA expect tenants to pay for repairs to fencing. If neighbour has as it where " vandalised " hers ,she needs to cough up for a replacement panels. It is nothing short of wilful damage to HA property and she must put right that damage out of her own pocket.

user1475440127 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:23:38

I have a problem whereby neither side paint their fence. I paid for all the fencing and have offered to paint their side too ( very dark brown )I used to be able to access one side when there were no tenants but alas the landlord has wedged the fences in the post so I cant lift one to gain access.
I think some people are so bloody inconsiderate.I'm tired of replacing rotten panels and caps. Next door ( not rented) never paints their side as it cost too much ( I offered to do the job )
From what I have learned is that HA expect tenants to pay for repairs to fencing. If neighbour has as it where " vandalised " hers ,she needs to cough up for a replacement panels. It is nothing short of wilful damage to HA property and she must put right that damage out of her own pocke.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now