To not bother getting a vehicle check done before buying a used car privately?

(3 Posts)
Balsamicpearls Fri 14-Oct-16 21:37:05

I am in the process of buying a car that I found on Autotrader. They suggest you do a vehicle check done prior to buying. They charge £19.99 for this. Is it worth getting? No idea what it will tell me. I have already checked it on the DVLA site and it is taxed and mot done as per owner's notes. I test drove it and it looks good. If anyone has got one done please let me know. Thank you

Foffyouwanker Fri 14-Oct-16 21:43:51

The very least you need is a hpi check, this will check the vehicle is not stolen, and has no outstanding finance on it. If it was stolen the insurance company would own the car and you lose your money, if any outstanding finance then the finance company could take the car. Why wouldn't you check it's legit??

Balsamicpearls Fri 14-Oct-16 21:47:00

Thank you. I will do that check. I have never bought a car before and just wondered if it is necessary that is all. I figured if it has been taxed and mot is in order it was a sign of being legit. I am wondering if i should do the whole autotrader check and what I will get as it doesn't say on the site.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now