I'm BU aren't I? *sigh*

(43 Posts)
BreadPitt Fri 14-Oct-16 15:30:10

NC

Next weekend I have to go to a rather posh dinner thing with DH at a large hotel. It's his work colleagues. Now, despite the meal and table drinks being paid for by the company this has still cost us a fair bit to attend.

DH was saying last night the table drinks are simply water or wine. I don't drink, absolutely hate the taste of wine (yep I'm weird) and not a huge fan of plain water. Bar drinks are charged and really expensive.
I joked to DH I was going to put one of those squeezy juice things in my evening bag and sneakily put lemon and lime in my water. DH said go for it.

I really can't do that at a posh do can I? blush

iklboo Fri 14-Oct-16 15:31:19

I would!

Ladygaggia Fri 14-Oct-16 15:31:23

I would!

CwtchMeQuick Fri 14-Oct-16 15:31:38

If you can do it without drawing attention to yourself and your dh is on board then I say go for it

NavyandWhite Fri 14-Oct-16 15:31:44

You might get a few funny looks!

AmeliaJack Fri 14-Oct-16 15:32:47

You can but wait until everyone else is slaughtered and then you'll be fun and quirky rather than weird. grin

Temporaryname137 Fri 14-Oct-16 15:34:24

I usually want vodka rather than wine - most of the time at this sort of function you can still order it, you just have to pay for it. So plan a, order a glass of coke or cordial; plan b, squeeze away!

harderandharder2breathe Fri 14-Oct-16 15:35:14

Do it! I'm the same as you in that I don't like water or wine. I might just do that at my next work do! Could you go to the bar, order tap water and add the juice away from the table? But if you can't then don't worry just do it discretly. I'm sure people sneak booze into these events, so a bit of squash is very tame!

SistersOfPercy Fri 14-Oct-16 15:36:44

I suspect most will be ratarsed before the mains come out so probably wont notice. grin
I just balk at paying £5 for a coke.

BreadPitt Fri 14-Oct-16 15:37:24

Meh NC fail. Oh well, can't even use the excuse I'm drunk grin

evelynj Fri 14-Oct-16 15:37:37

Yanbu- you could lie. & say you're allergic to other cordials!

BreadPitt Fri 14-Oct-16 15:39:10

Thats not a bad idea harder
Those little handbag cordials are very discreet and if I wander back from the bar with a cordial nobody will look twice.

I'll throw it in my bag and play it by ear.

Nocabbageinmyeye Fri 14-Oct-16 15:40:00

But cordial will be free anyway, is that not the same thing? Ask for a glass of cordial, take it to your table with a glass of ice and just too up your water glass as and when required, nobody will bat an eyelid

BreadPitt Fri 14-Oct-16 15:40:54

evelyn thats not actually far from the truth. I am very allergic to aspartame and it's only recently a lot of manufacturers seem to have dropped it. The squeezy one is one of the few that is aspartame free.
I do have to be quite careful I'm not given diet coke or similar when out as it causes me crippling stomach pains.

DixieWishbone Fri 14-Oct-16 15:49:29

I don't think anyone will notice. If you hauled a can of coke out of your bag or a 2 litre bottle of Mountain Dew you might get some looks.

BeardMinge Fri 14-Oct-16 16:05:39

I judge adults who don't like water and only drink squash like overgrown toddlers. Wtaf is there to not like about water?

I wouldn't actually say anything if I saw you doing it though.

BreadPitt Fri 14-Oct-16 16:08:14

Judge away beard
Personally I'm of the opinion 'each to their own'. Can't think as I've ever judged anyone for their personal tastes. Seems an awful waste of effort shrug

MUjunkie Fri 14-Oct-16 16:15:56

Yep 👍🏻 I've done it loads of times! I'm now an expert at sneaking vodka into my coke while surrounded by people haha

Redpony1 Fri 14-Oct-16 16:20:52

I judge adults who don't like water and only drink squash like overgrown toddlers. Wtaf is there to not like about water?

I hate water too, it's vile. Who says squash is only for kids??

I think taking a squeezy juice thing is a brilliant idea!

PlumsGalore Fri 14-Oct-16 16:26:27

I hate water too, never ever ever drink it. I only drink tea and squash, well that isn't alcoholic anyway.

I could say who really enjoys drinking water, what's to enjoy?

APlaceOnTheCouch Fri 14-Oct-16 16:33:51

You don't need to hide it. Do it with aplomb and the other guests will probably think it's medicinal or prop the menu up in front of you and they won't see what you're doing grin

Musicaltheatremum Fri 14-Oct-16 16:34:02

I love water but bloody hell if I am going to a posh paid for do then I want a drink.

Monkeyface26 Fri 14-Oct-16 16:45:35

I like water and wine and can be a right judgey-pants snob and I still think this is a great idea. It's not doing anyone any harm and I don't see how it's anyone's business. I probably would pick the palest shade/flavour & do it fairly discreetly but it really isn't anyone else's business.

BreadPitt Fri 14-Oct-16 16:49:22

I love water but bloody hell if I am going to a posh paid for do then I want a drink

I realise I'm weird but I really don't enjoy alcohol. Don't get me wrong in my teens I could drink like a fish, but as I've gotten older I seem to have lost the taste for it.
I just end up with a muzzy head and feeling a bit ick. I don't get the warm, happy feeling I got years ago. I could probably go a glass of champagne at a push, but it's not a taste I enjoy.

DH does drink so I imagine he'll be making the most of it grin

NicknameUsed Fri 14-Oct-16 16:52:29

I drink water, but I don't love it. There is nothing to love about it, unlike wine or a nice gin and tonic, or even a cup of tea.

However, I think judging someone who doesn't like drinking water is going too far.

I think the OP's idea is a brilliant one. I hope you enjoy the do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now