To wear my wedding dress to dinner?

(278 Posts)
DisneyMillie Fri 14-Oct-16 12:00:47

It's my wedding day tomorrow smile and I'm just having a fairly low key day with an afternoon tea and drinks at the venue afterwards. My husband (!) and I will then be going out for dinner on our own and I'd like to wear my wedding dress.

It's a mid calf 50s type dress so not massive but obviously bridal. Would this be a terrible plan?

My mother thinks I'm being pathetic and will look ridiculous and can't possibly do it. I'd just rather keep it on as it's my wedding day and I don't see what harm it does.

In case it makes a difference it's a small fine dining restaurant so not many people there and we're eating quite late.

NuggetofPurestGreen Fri 14-Oct-16 12:01:54

No! Yanbu. You will look great I'm sure.

pillowaddict Fri 14-Oct-16 12:02:17

Not at all! Your dm isn't being very kind, it won't look silly at all. Congratulations and have a lovely day!

ShowMeTheElf Fri 14-Oct-16 12:02:19

Do it. It's a lovely idea. have you told the restaurant that it's your wedding day so they save you a secluded table?

NuggetofPurestGreen Fri 14-Oct-16 12:02:24

No it wouldn't be a terrible plan I mean. Not no you can't wear it smile

galaxygirl45 Fri 14-Oct-16 12:03:12

Wear it!! Hope you have an amazing day.

Kuriusoranj Fri 14-Oct-16 12:03:32

Of course you should do it. Even if it does look weddingy, what sort of curmudgeon would look at you and think anything other than "aaah. They just got married. How lovely. "?

RuggerHug Fri 14-Oct-16 12:03:44

Wear it!! And have a fab day! smile

SinglePringle Fri 14-Oct-16 12:03:57

Wear it! It's not like it's some Princess Di meringue and it would make me smile to see it if I were dining at the restaurant.

And you'll probably get sent bottles of champers from other diners!

Kuriusoranj Fri 14-Oct-16 12:04:25

Oh and congratulations, have a lovely day!

Mishaps Fri 14-Oct-16 12:04:43

Just wear it! - enjoy! Get some wear out of it and make it worth the money!

Powerrangersdinocharge Fri 14-Oct-16 12:05:45

Definitely wear it, you'll look fab and people who notice will only be thinking, nice things.

JaneAustinAllegro Fri 14-Oct-16 12:06:10

of course you must wear it! And I hope you'll get a round of applause from the diners when you walk in :-)

VimFuego101 Fri 14-Oct-16 12:06:12

YANBU unless you're planning to go to Pizza Hut grin

MissClimpsonsTypingBureau Fri 14-Oct-16 12:06:26

Brilliant idea, not ridiculous at all. Why on earth wouldn't you? My DM was similar when I got married - insistent that I COULDN'T POSSIBLY leave the wedding wearing, er, my wedding dress - and it's batshit. Wear the dress! Have an amazing day (sounds like a fabulous dress and a fabulous plan for the day) Congratulations!

PhotosGinAndALongLieIn Fri 14-Oct-16 12:06:31

I would wear it. Congratulations!

starsinyourpies Fri 14-Oct-16 12:07:32

Wear it! I would definitely send you both over Champagne and get a bit teary (pregnant).

crayfish Fri 14-Oct-16 12:08:11

Of course wear it! If anybody wonders why you are all done up them tell them it's your wedding day. You only get one days to wear it so enjoy it and sod what anyone else thinks.

Congratulations and have a wonderful day.

tinytemper66 Fri 14-Oct-16 12:08:32

I wore mine to breakfast the next day as my husband surprised me with a night in a local hotel instead of just going back to our house. He forgot to pack for me!

VenusOfWillendorf Fri 14-Oct-16 12:09:07

YANBU! That sounds lovely, of course wear your dress!
Congratulations, have a great day tomorrow!!

Losgunna Fri 14-Oct-16 12:09:16

Absolutely wear it! Thank totally agree with everything pp have said. Have a wonderful day tomorrow and congratulations! grinflowers

FadedRed Fri 14-Oct-16 12:10:00

Congratulations on your wedding and best wishes for a lovely day! 🍾
If anyone, especially my mother, said that to me ('Pathetic and rediculous? Charming choice of words!) then I would wear it just to spite them.
IMO opinion, you would get a few odd looks in a restaurant in the the full diamanté meringue and cathedral view with a massive bouquet, but hey ho, it's your day, do what you want to do and sod the rest of the world.
Did you ask for her opinion? If yes, then there's a lesson learned for the future. If no, then non of her business.

FadedRed Fri 14-Oct-16 12:11:11

view = veil

DorotheaHomeAlone Fri 14-Oct-16 12:12:04

Wear it! And have a fabulous day!! (I would buy you both a drink if I saw you out in your wedding finery). smile

TheNaze73 Fri 14-Oct-16 12:13:17

Wear it. I hope you have a fantastic day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now