To like this music at my age?

(16 Posts)
FruitCider Mon 10-Oct-16 11:35:32

I'm in my late 20s. Yesterday at work I was filling out my part of the "getting to know us" file we keep at work to break down barriers between us and vulnerable patients. I listed drum and bass and grime as my favourite music, my colleagues looked horrified! Is it really that unusual?!!??

An example of what I like would be this...

https://youtu.be/yuCVw3Gni-0

Is it time for me to grow up? Or are my colleagues just judgemental prats?

BorpBorpBorp Mon 10-Oct-16 11:41:43

Your colleagues are judgmental prats. From the title, I thought the thread would be about D&B or dubstep, but that you would be about 50 (which would obviously be fine too)

If questioned, your colleagues would say their horrified look was to do with the music being 'yoof', but actually, it's probably subconsciously more to do with class and race than with age.

I like D&B too.

MiddleClassProblem Mon 10-Oct-16 11:44:30

Goldie is 51, FFS. People like what they like. Age is nothing. Just be you and don't let people make you fake what you enjoy.

amigoingabitcrazy Mon 10-Oct-16 11:47:15

I'm in my 20s and honestly thought this was the norm! I do get funny looks sometimes off judgemental pricks when I'm on the school run with my children in the car...

myownprivateidaho Mon 10-Oct-16 11:48:19

Not a big deal. I doubt they were 'horrified' probably just surprised.

EastMidsMummy Mon 10-Oct-16 11:54:14

It is absolutely fine for you to like that bloody awful music.

FruitCider Mon 10-Oct-16 11:58:29

No they were genuinely horrified, proceeded to ask me if I take drugs (no) and couldn't understand why I'm into that "culture" hmm. I'm established middle class according to that silly BBC quiz so I don't think it's a class issue either.

My patients thought it was pretty cool though! I guess that's all what matters at the end of the day.

FruitCider Mon 10-Oct-16 11:59:57

I do get funny looks sometimes off judgemental pricks when I'm on the school run with my children in the car...

My child dances to DnB in the car. My friends think it's funny!

myownprivateidaho Mon 10-Oct-16 12:05:05

Well, to be fair I think that most people's encounters with DnB/dubstep etc is at parties/clubs with lots of drugs present. It is a kind of music that even a lot of people who are into it don't necessarily listen to it through headphones on a Sunday afternoon while walking the dog or whatever.

devilinmyshoes Mon 10-Oct-16 12:05:33

I don't like grime but at 45 I still unwind to gabba techno which is unreasonable

FruitCider Mon 10-Oct-16 12:08:20

* It is a kind of music that even a lot of people who are into it don't necessarily listen to it through headphones on a Sunday afternoon while walking the dog or whatever.*

I'm sat here listening to it on my sofa, I listen to it before bed!

myownprivateidaho Mon 10-Oct-16 12:09:59

Fair enough, and nothing wrong with that, but what I'm saying is that maybe they have only encountered it at clubs/parties.

devilinmyshoes Mon 10-Oct-16 12:11:42

Anyway no it's not unreasonable, just because it's a better experience when you are fucked off your face doesn't mean you have to be does it?

WorraLiberty Mon 10-Oct-16 12:13:37

My patients thought it was pretty cool though! I guess that's all what matters at the end of the day.

Do you think your colleagues feel you're trying too hard to be cool?

Perhaps you read 'horror' for 'bemusement'?

It's just music at the end of the day. They need to save their horror for something actually horrific.

FruitCider Mon 10-Oct-16 13:03:37

Worra possibly, but I've been working with this patient group in various settings for 7 years, I just know what bits of me to disclose to make me seem more approachable! These guys can tell if you are being fake anyway, so there's no point in me pretending to be something I'm not. They appreciate me being real. Sharing my taste of music is not going to put me at any detriment so there's no reason to lie about it.

BowieFan Mon 10-Oct-16 13:33:33

Sounds to me like it's just classism and racism at work here. FWIW, I'm a 39 year old white woman and the first concert I went to on my own was NWA in Birmingham in 1990 when I was nearly 14. I still love some of that type of music.

Sadly a lot of people are like this when it comes to the arts. They think you have to be a certain type of person to like a certain type of music, which is untrue. My music taste has always been eclectic - the week after I went seeing NWA I went to a Paul Simon gig and then a few months later went to watch New Kids on the Block.

Don't feel ashamed, feel proud!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now