disabled loos

(9 Posts)
ohgoodlordthatsmoist Mon 10-Oct-16 09:40:39

I am 20weeks pregnant and suffering from SPD, it has really flared up over the weekend and on Saturday I got stuck on the loo in the local m&s eventually managed to heave myself up but think I have caused it to be worse.
Would I be unreasonable or selfish to use the disabled loo in future if I'm struggling and out and about? I was shouted at when 42 weeks gone last time for using the doable loo in a coffee shop rather than climb the stairs, woman argued that if I was able to be out enjoying a coffee I should jolly well climb the stairs and not use loos im not entitled to.

Any thoughts? Do I need blue badge to use them?

StillMaidOfStars Mon 10-Oct-16 09:54:58

I have no need of a disabled loo, so my thoughts are perhaps slightly irrelevant. But I wouldn't think twice if I saw a visibly-pregnant woman entering/leaving a disabled loo (not that I usually think twice about anyone using a disabled loo TBH - I assume they know their needs better than I). I'd perhaps feel sympathy that you might be suffering a bad pregnancy and remember why I've not chosen motherhood

I hope the pain is better flowers

DoNotBlameMeIVotedRemain Mon 10-Oct-16 10:40:58

If you genuinely can't fit in the ladies then I guess you don't have much choice. I'm surprised at 20 weeks this is an issue though? I never had this even at 40 weeks.

flanjabelle Mon 10-Oct-16 10:43:37

Yanbu. I had spd badly and had the indignity of needing dp to help me on and off the toilet. I think in this case the grab rails could be the difference between you getting stuck and not. Use them op, they are there for people who need the adaptations such as the grab rails to be able to use the toilet. I think temporarily you fall into that category.

DoNotBlameMeIVotedRemain Mon 10-Oct-16 10:44:25

Sorry just realised you have SPD. I don't think you need a blue badge but guess you will have to use disabled loo if you can't manage ladies.

flanjabelle Mon 10-Oct-16 10:44:44

Do not, the op is getting stuck on, not in the loo. Spd makes it incredibly difficult to go from a sitting to a standing position.

HeyNannyNanny Mon 10-Oct-16 10:45:51

YANBU at all. That woman sounds like a cow; I'd have been mortified if someone said that to me - I have a real anxiety about things like public toilets as it is!

MountainRoute Mon 10-Oct-16 12:05:31

YANBU. There are many hidden reasons people use disabled loos, including urgency issues, bowel and bladder problems, difficulty with stairs (arthritis etc). When I had SPD I struggled to get up without a rail (or side of sink) for support.

I have colitis so have a radar key for emergencies. Nobody has ever challenged me about using disabled loos (apart from when I have pram with me, then they assume it's for a different reason!)

Catsize Mon 10-Oct-16 12:15:17

I had to use disabled loos with SPD. Ended up on crutches and in a wheelchair too. Hope you are getting some help OP. It went undiagnosed for too long in my first pregnancy and then I had osteopathy from the off in my second and knew tricks and techniques to make things a bit better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now