To think we're doing something wrong and Sunday's shouldn't be a day of drudgery.

(93 Posts)
2StripedSocks Sun 09-Oct-16 14:40:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

user1471544305 Sun 09-Oct-16 14:43:53

Don't leave everything until the weekend. You have older kids they can help and do some stuff in the week. Why do they need help with homework? Wash every night iron on Sundays whilst watching soaps or a film

froubylou Sun 09-Oct-16 14:47:44

You don't need a fry up and a roast dinner. One or the other.

As teenagers the dcs are old enough to help. And sort their own hair out. And iron their own uniform. And definitely wash pots!

Make a list of chores. 20 minutes for everyone after school/work and you should be heading to the weekend pretty much chore free apart from the normal tidying up/washing.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Sun 09-Oct-16 14:48:29

The DCs should be doing everything that isn't skilled or involves hot fat. This is how we did it, and in fact still do now that DD and her bf are between lets. 13 year olds can hoover, dust, mop and peel. The 11 year old should clean out the pet, strip beds, load the machine and put away crockery. DP should be doing half of the things the DCs can't.

deathandtaxes123 Sun 09-Oct-16 14:49:45

Me too OP you're not alone.

If you were near me we could've gone for a walk together.

I have a 2 year old though so I'm not sure how good he'd be at hemming trousers

SisterViktorine Sun 09-Oct-16 14:50:49

Get a dishwasher, do one load of laundry each evening and cut some corners somewhere else so you can afford a cleaner.

Eolian Sun 09-Oct-16 14:51:01

Roasts and crumbles and homemade soup are lovely but time-consuming. If you're desperate for some down-time, cut down on the weekend cooking. Have some weekends where you do the bare minimum of housework and just accept you might have to do a bit more that week. We go for walks every day including Saturday and Sunday because we have to - we have a large energetic dog. If it was a choice between cleaning out some cupboards or walking the dog, the cupboards would stay dirty.

Finola1step Sun 09-Oct-16 14:51:51

Your dc can and should be mucking in with dusting, hoovering, cleaning bathrooms and sorting washing. They won't do it perfect but that's fine. They will be taking on their share and learning life skills.

ClashCityRocker Sun 09-Oct-16 14:54:14

The thing that sticks out on me is that there's a lot on that list that either kids that age shouldn't need supervision for, or that they could be helping you with. Certainly cleaning out pets, helping with the laundry and washing up...the elder ones can probably iron too.

Other than that, what do you do in the week?

I'd mop floors one night, if there's three bathrooms presumably they are quite lightly used so would just be a quick wipe with a fuller clean once a month. Hoovering done during the week too,

We have all our housework done on a Saturday morning. We rotate rooms that get blitzed each week between kitchen, bathroom, living room.

2StripedSocks Sun 09-Oct-16 14:55:11

Longdistance Sun 09-Oct-16 14:56:20

What did you have dc for?

Chores = pocket money.

13 isn't too young to learn a few things like laundry, cleaning, doing the dishes, cleaning out pets (which I assume are theirs?), kids can strip their own beds, the hoover can make friends with your dc too, so can the feather duster.

Mine are 5 and 7 and they help with tidying, sorting laundry as Dh hasn't a clue who's is who's , washing up, sweeping the crumbs from under the dining room table/kitchen.

JackShit Sun 09-Oct-16 14:56:36

Fry up, soup and a roast? You only need one of those, so that saves a bit of time.

2StripedSocks Sun 09-Oct-16 14:58:42

YouTheCat Sun 09-Oct-16 15:00:11

Do some washing through the week so you don't end up with loads. Designate half a day where everyone mucks in and does stuff. Kids can hoover and clean bathrooms. I'm presuming the pets belong to the kids and so they should be sorting them out. And they can do their own ironing as well.

ClashCityRocker Sun 09-Oct-16 15:01:41

Well, you shouldn't be racing around picking up after kids, ideally grin

Seriously, if you get them on board not just helping with chores but not making so much mess, it would make a big difference I reckon.

Fortnum Sun 09-Oct-16 15:03:03

- Hoover and polish during the week.
- Clean one bathroom Thursday 1 Friday 1 Saturday
-Wash up dinner stuff, after dinner - its always worse in the morning and smells.
-Put wash on daily if required at night saves electricity, tumble before bed . or hang out first thing
-Just do a bit of all that on the week days or if you work weekday nights.

Oh and yeah fry up or roast ! and if you look at the cost of both of those together you could probably have Breakfast or a carvery at a restaurant instead, combine with a walk in the country then come home, veg out - sunday done

Pineapplemilkshake Sun 09-Oct-16 15:03:43

We have started doing the following to make Sunday's more pleasant:

Do all housework during the week - e.g. Clean bathroom after shower each morning - I mean quick wipe round to keep on top of it rather than deep clean. Clean kitchen after evening meals -again quick blitz. Do cupboards while DC doing homework while in same room.

Grocery shopping while DC at Cubs - weekday evening

Never cook on a Sunday - if finances allow we go for a pub lunch/Sunday roast type meal.

We have a designated "Sunday rest" - quiet time for me to read/DC to play Xbox and DP to watch sport for example

Never entertain family or in laws on Sunday - it's a miserable enough day without making it worse!

tired17 Sun 09-Oct-16 15:04:05

Non iron school shirts - tescos or M&S, buy soup and pudding just cook a main course. I also leave mine now 17 and 12, but have done for ages to plan and manage their own homework and bag packing - if it isn't done they have to deal with the consequences. Will also mention to youngest that she needs a shower, but wouldn't directly oversee.

Lighthouseturquoise Sun 09-Oct-16 15:04:40

You don't need to iron, you don't need a fry up, homemade soup, crumble and roast dinner. You don't need to dust everywhere or strip beds each week.

Do your washing during the week.

NapQueen Sun 09-Oct-16 15:04:59

God who makes a roast and a fry up and homemade soup in the same day?!

Kids can make their own toast and cereal. Grab their own lunch (omelette or noodles or sandwich). One roast at teatime together.

BicycleRider Sun 09-Oct-16 15:05:04

By the time I was 13 I was doing all the laundry for 6 people plus dusting, cleaning bathrooms, and general other housework. What are your kids doing while you're running around after them?

Thumbcat Sun 09-Oct-16 15:07:32

Can homework be done after school on Friday to get it out of the way?

Fry up, homemade soup, roast and crumble is way too much effort. Everyone can sort out their own toast/cereal for breakfast, then delegate some chores and spend some time getting stuff done, then out for lunch.

Only iron items that absolutely need it - which IMO is hardly anything. As for the hem, sellotape is your friend here.

Teach the kids how to blow dry each other's hair and if you have to nag them before they get washed they lose screen time.

Lower your housework standards. Seriously, the world won't end.

Ilove Sun 09-Oct-16 15:08:18

Ok so our weeks look a bit like this...

Theres 5 of us live here permanently, kids are 17, 14, 14, me and DH. He works 12 hour day and nights shifts, I work 7-7 m-f and saturday mornings, often one or two evening in the week too. We also foster, have a dog, 3 cats, and a guinea pig.

Each child has 2 nights a week they are responsible for the kitchen clean-down - that involves wiping the sides, the hob, putting away leftover food and sweeping the floor. They cook one night a week each

Me & DH cook the other 4 nights, load and unload the dishwasher, and do at least 1 laundry load a day - on in the morning, out and dry in the evening

Me and DH feed the animals apart from teh GP which is solely DD's responsibility

Kids have their own laundry baskets and do their own laundry and change their own bedding. They jut ask if the washer is free - i know they tend to do theirs on a Friday or Sunday so make sure the washer and dryer are free

Stop doing 3 big meals in a day, and make double and freeze stuff like soup

I have a cleaner for the big jobs weekly, and am dreadful at saying no to anyone - which is how I end up with 5 extra foster kids, or altering wedding dresses, etc...

For me, a dishwasher, washer (GOOD one - mine's a Siemens), two dryers (yes, excessive, but when I'm often doing laundry for up to 12 people it's essential) and a chest freezer are absolutely not negotiable - to the point we can't get a car in the garage as that's where the freezer, washer and driers are!

Try and do a load a day - even if not full - I separate into white, dark and red, towels and bedding.

Cook double and freeze - even when peeling spuds, do a few extra and freeze - can be used for mash etc.

Stop ironing.

Dunno if any of the above helps, it's just how we manage...

NapQueen Sun 09-Oct-16 15:10:13

Can they stay in the house Saturday morning and do homework while you and dh go off and do the errands (do people still run errands?)

Ilove Sun 09-Oct-16 15:13:19

Oh yes I forgot the homework bit - they can do that while you're cooking if they need help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now