Nuts.

(170 Posts)
goodbeans Sun 09-Oct-16 13:42:36

DS had this message in his nursery diary: 'Please can you avoid pesto because of nut allergies within the nursery'.

This was in reference to him having been sent in with pasta and green pesto (DH on lunch duties, he forgot the rule). I did find it annoying though, as pesto is made with pine nuts, which are seeds and not nuts, despite the misleading name. (I know that some red pesto is made with cashews, and so I would never use that in food intended for nursery, although I suspect that most staff wouldn't question it as it could easily be mistaken for a regular tomato sauce...)

Anyway, I would like to send a note to the following effect back: 'We always avoid sending any food into nursery that contains nuts. However, pine nuts are seeds (despite the misleading name!) If there is a child with a seed allergy at nursery then we will of course be careful to avoid sending any seed containing foods in DS's lunch.'

AIBU to reply like this to nursery? Or is this weird kind of blanket ban (based on a misnomer) normal?! If it is then I will just suck it up, but it is frustrating given that it doesn't seem to have much basis in common sense.

TaterTots Sun 09-Oct-16 13:43:57

Unless another child is eating your child's lunch, what's the problem?

SavoyCabbage Sun 09-Oct-16 13:58:45

Just write a note back. Most people don't know pine nuts are not a nut. Understandably!

We had a full on meeting with the catering manager when my dd started secondary school where they were preparing to change all sorts of their dishes but none of them contained actual nuts. Just things that people think are nuts. Almonds, coconut etc.

goodbeans Sun 09-Oct-16 15:21:41

Thank you both, I have written a note and will chat with the staff when I get a chance. Good point about almonds, I had forgotten that they are a seed too (and I am a biologist and really should know these things!)

monkeysox Sun 09-Oct-16 15:25:06

Yabu. Kids who are allergic tend to have multiple allergens. Kids share food.

acasualobserver Sun 09-Oct-16 15:25:23

Aren't nuts seeds then?

IHeartKingThistle Sun 09-Oct-16 15:26:42

If you read the ingredients loads of green pestos are made with cashews as they are cheaper than pine nuts. My DS seems to react to both anyway. How hard is it for you to avoid pesto? As a parent of a child with allergies I care less if you're a biologist, sorry. I just want this stuff away from my child and I suspect you would too.

BTW now he's older he's been taught to ask, check and avoid the foods he can't have. At nursery they can't talk or understand so they have to be protected.

Soubriquet Sun 09-Oct-16 15:26:43

Besides you don't know how severe this kids allergy is

It could be, just being in the same room could set the child off

Why risk it? Why can't your child eat pasta at home and come to nursery with sandwhiches or something similar?

IHeartKingThistle Sun 09-Oct-16 15:27:42

Couldn't care less. Dammit, bring snippy doesn't come naturally to me!

EweAreHere Sun 09-Oct-16 15:27:59

Almonds are treated as nuts for the purposes of nut allergies. They are banned for small children who are diagnosed with a nut allergy of any kind and tested for it as well in periodic retesting.

Pine nuts, however, are not.

IHeartKingThistle Sun 09-Oct-16 15:28:35

Bring. FFS!

buzzpopprince Sun 09-Oct-16 15:29:16

I have a nut allergy and react to pesto.
Write to nursery if you must, but perhaps think about your motivation. What is it you want ultimately.
If in doubt, I always try to think what's the kind thing to do.

Thebookswereherfriends Sun 09-Oct-16 15:31:01

I have a nut allergy, thankfully not very severe, but I seem to react to seeds as well as nuts. For example, eating seeded bread causes my mouth to itch, therefore I have always avoided pesto because of the seed aspect. Maybe it's a cross-contamination thing.

Hellochicken Sun 09-Oct-16 15:37:09

SACLA "classic" pesto and many others have cashews in.

Maybe if your pesto is homemade/you have confirmed ingredient list then it would be ok.

But how would nursery know that?

Crunchymum Sun 09-Oct-16 15:37:36

I don't get it OP?

You say that DP forgot the no nut rule used pesto which means you have not been sending pesto in order to adhere to the 'no nut' rule whilst presumably knowing all along pine nuts are seeds?

Why is this now an issue? Is it because you have been pulled up on it?

phillipp Sun 09-Oct-16 15:37:56

Perhaps the child is also allergic to nuts or their parents have said 'no pesto' . Maybe they have been told to be cautious.

It's not a big deal to avoid pesto, as they have asked , sound like you want to write this note to prove a point.

Why not actually speak to someone?

IHeartKingThistle Sun 09-Oct-16 15:40:17

Being. I give up!

Soubriquet Sun 09-Oct-16 15:41:47

KingThistle grin anger does not bring out your best vocabulary does it

IHeartKingThistle Sun 09-Oct-16 15:44:04

Nope I'm crap at it!

Soubriquet Sun 09-Oct-16 15:47:30

flowers I hope others have more consideration with what they send in their children's lunchbox for your child's safety

goodbeans Sun 09-Oct-16 16:35:01

Thanks all. I had thought seed allergies were really quite rare, but it sounds as though there is a good chance of nut-allergic children having related issues too. DS's nursery is quite small and they don't have facilities to heat food so our packed lunch repertoire is somewhat limited and it would have been nice to have different lunch options to send in. I will talk to someone at nursery for some clarity. If seeds are a problem then that will mean some other items are off limits too (seeded bread, seeded pastry) so it would be good to get some clarification on this. I obviously don't want to risk a reaction in any of the other children, but don't want to restrict DS's lunch options if it turns out to be completely unnecessary to do so!

lljkk Sun 09-Oct-16 17:30:24

A kid who likes pesto doesn't sound like a fussy eater.

Artandco Sun 09-Oct-16 17:37:05

Lljkk- Pesto is a basic common food. I would assume all kids eat pesto.

I would probably just not send it in for ease of the nursery in case, but it is a tad annoying.

Have you looked at a food themos pot? Thermos do a good kids size one and it means it's easier to send leftover dinner from the night before as stays warm for lunch. Could then send pasta bolgnese, casserole, stroganoff and rice, etc

lljkk Sun 09-Oct-16 19:02:05

... said the person who has never lived with a fussy eater
hahaha (sigh)

Ilovenannyplum Sun 09-Oct-16 19:06:06

My 2yr old will not eat pesto or pasta....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now