Am I making this up??

(10 Posts)
susannahmoodie Sun 09-Oct-16 08:22:50

So for weeks now I have felt stiff and achy, and as if my back could 'go' at any minute......I've been so busy (work ft, 2 young dcs) that I haven't done anything about it and trying to fit in exercise is a constant battle although I have been for a couple of swims over the last two or here weeks. I realised I was groaning when I stood up and couldn't bend to put something in the dishwasher as I was so stiff. I would sometimes have to ask my husband to take my 3 yo if I was carrying him on my hip as it was making me ache so much....

So, for the last 4 days, my parents have Been on holiday and we have been looking after their dog. Every am and pm I have been out for a 30 min walk. And my aches and pains have gone. Literally feel 1000 times better. Is this a coincidence or is it actually the result of 4 days of mild exercise and fresh air??

Garthmarenghi Sun 09-Oct-16 08:26:45

My back gets bad when I'm sitting down too much. It's fine laying down or when I'm standing/walking. Do you think your aches could be due to a dodgy work chair?

seminakedinsomebodyelsesroom Sun 09-Oct-16 08:29:47

Not necessarily coincidence. When I had bad lower back problems my Physio recommend walking as a good way to improve it.

Msqueen33 Sun 09-Oct-16 08:30:10

We had a dog and I found my bad back was so much better when I was walking him. Its gone back to being stiff again but I have put some weight on.

dudsville Sun 09-Oct-16 08:31:15

Yes my back problems bounce back after one inactive day. It doesn't take a lot of exercise, but inactivity is bad for a back.

zigzag27 Sun 09-Oct-16 08:31:24

My bad back always loosens up after a gentle walk, I think that's what they recommend now.

SabineUndine Sun 09-Oct-16 08:31:33

I find walking is the best thing for backache. You're not imagining it.

RunRabbitRunRabbit Sun 09-Oct-16 08:33:49

I get back ache when I have been sitting around too much. Exercise is definitely the cure for me.

LeatherAndLace Sun 09-Oct-16 08:35:31

Walking is soo good for you, it will have helped loads.
See if you can fit a bit more in your day to day life.

susannahmoodie Sun 09-Oct-16 09:07:55

Actually considering getting a dog of our own! I know I could just go on a walk it hour the dog but the non-negotiable nature of dog walking does appeal.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now