to wonder where DS went this afternoon?

(10 Posts)
redskytonight Fri 07-Oct-16 18:09:13

DS is 12. This afternoon he was home from school about 40 minutes later than he would normally be. When asked why he was late he said "I went home a different way". We live a 5 minute cycle ride (if he's on his own) or a 10 minute cycle ride (if he's with friends so too busy chatting to do much cycling) away from school. Hence his "reason" is rubbish.

Other than making a joke about his "other way" must have been via a point the other side of town, I decided he obviously didn't want to tell me, and left it at that. However, I'm now wondering if I should have pushed more and where on earth he could have been.

He would have told me if he'd been chatting outside school for ages (normal cause of lateness).
He would have told me if he'd gone to a friend's house.
His school don't do after school detentions on a Friday.
In fact you can only stay in school if you are working in the computer room or library and he would definitely tell me if he was doing this!!

So I'm out of ideas ....wondering if I should torture it out of him?

JennyOnAPlate Fri 07-Oct-16 18:11:18

My dc are younger but I don't think yabu to expect to know where a 12 year old is at all times. I would ask again.

Dontpanicpyke Fri 07-Oct-16 18:12:06

He was hanging out! They do it for hours. Even in the cold. grin

TobleroneBoo Fri 07-Oct-16 18:13:08

Check bag for clown mask grin

Tangoandcreditcards Fri 07-Oct-16 18:14:33

When I was that age it would have been McDs.

Nemesia Fri 07-Oct-16 18:15:07

Aww he was talking to a girl grin

FauxFox Fri 07-Oct-16 18:16:06

Maybe he has a girlfriend...

DerekSprechenZeDick Fri 07-Oct-16 18:22:27

He's been hanging out after school.

I used to do it.

toffeeboffin Fri 07-Oct-16 18:23:38

Only 40 mins! That's two seconds in teen time grin

WordGetsAround Fri 07-Oct-16 18:24:46

I used to walk the long way home to hang out with friends going that way, then stand chatting for ages before getting home an hour or so later (or more!). Totally normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now