To think just because it's being funded by loan University are wrong to put the fees up after the start of the year?

(8 Posts)
DontStayStill Thu 06-Oct-16 21:19:37

My nephew started a University foundation course in September.

The cost of this course was £6,000.

Like a lot of students he applied for a student loan to cover the fees.

This week he's received a letter from the student finance company to say the university has put the fees up to £9,000 and his loan will be increased accordingly.

So after the course has started the University have decided to increase the fees by 33%.

AIBU to think that this is not right, even if the fees are being paid by student loan?

user1472419718 Thu 06-Oct-16 21:56:48

YANBU, that is completely out of order.

Once a student has signed up for and paid for a course, the fee should be fixed.

Unfortunately I don't think it is technically illegal (just completely wrong) so I don't know what you or your nephew can do about it.

I hope someone else will come along and tell me I'm wrong and it is illegal and there is something you can do.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Thu 06-Oct-16 21:59:03

What uni is this?? Name and shame! shock

Zeeandra Thu 06-Oct-16 22:04:40

I would check that out and get some advice as surely when he signed up to the course he should have got an invoice for the fees. If he has that I'm pretty sure they can't just randomly decide to then increase them.

titchy Thu 06-Oct-16 22:07:42

Check their OFFA agreement to check they're able to do this. They probably are tbh.

DontStayStill Fri 07-Oct-16 07:21:34

He has the invoice from Uni stating £6k, and student loan letter stating £6k fees.

He now has £9k letter from student loan - not had anything further from the uni.

He was going to go and speak to the Uni finance dept to check that the loan company was correct.

titchy Fri 07-Oct-16 08:02:35

Oh sounds like an SLC cock up then.

Scholes34 Fri 07-Oct-16 10:06:43

Sounds like the SLC has got it wrong. They do sometimes make mistakes smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now