Asking for motivational tips

(16 Posts)
SnowCurl Thu 06-Oct-16 19:42:29

Right ladies and gents!
Am severely lacking inspiration and motivation. As a bit of back story I've been managing heavy depression and am currently on medication. However, I've reached a point in my life where I am really lacking in self-confidence and am fearful of the future (I've been a SAHM for 5 years). I've had enough! I would like to know how you have spurred yourselves along and motivated yourselves for whatever challenges you have faced, be it ordeal or otherwise. Thank you in advance xxx

inboxmehun Thu 06-Oct-16 20:43:22

I feel your pain been in similar situation. However, I had a friend who died when he was younger than me -younger than the age I am now. but we were similar on many levels. Even though he's been dead for some years he's motivated me this year to better myself- I was thinking of him one idle afternoon last January - and since then I've lost weight and completely turned my life around - all because of him - he's not of this earth anymore so I want to do my best by him iyswim - my life has completely changed for the better this year and I feel I owe him so much.

Strikingclock Thu 06-Oct-16 20:49:36

Sorry to hear you are going through serious depression op flowers

I can be a dreadful procrastinator (getting better as I get older) and four things have helped the most:

1. reaching the conclusion (after a lot of faffing about) that motivation comes from action and not the other way around. If you do one thing, even for just 5 mins, that will create motivation for the next thing (however small).

2. In a similar vein, the Flylady housekeeping system

3. Consciously trying to model a better way to my 13 yr old dd and not pass on my bad habits

4. Ring-fencing some time, every week, no matter what to do something creative - sewing, painting, drawing, gardening.

CheekyMcgee Thu 06-Oct-16 21:16:39

Following with interest as I could do with some tips as well. My flat is a shit tip and my open university course started this week and I've done nothing. I've just gotten over the flu and feel a bit depressed at the moment, which is making me lethargic and bloody lazy. Oh, and I'm back on the binge eating and am the fattest I've ever been. Help!

ollieplimsoles Thu 06-Oct-16 21:21:53

'Change your life in seven days' by Paul McKenna.

I have mentioned this before on similar threads in not employed by him to push the book or anything. I really had amazing results from this system after I was doing crap on my degree and had no motivation or discipline.

Its laid out in tasks, one for each day, and a hypnosis track to accompany the tasks (which forces you to take 20 mins out for yourself every day/evening)

It was the best tenner I ever spent

SnowCurl Sat 08-Oct-16 12:01:16

Thanks for your replies. Strikingclock, you absolutely right about action spurring on motivation. Probably need to start small, like you say 5 min jobs etc think I do tend to get overwhelmed by absolutely everything all at once.

I will check out Paul McKennas book, Olliep.

CheekyMcgee, we are in the same boat. Had planned to be super organised and get ahead with my new 2 OU modules. As ever, left it to the last minute to meet this weeks deadline hmm xxx

roasted Sat 08-Oct-16 12:06:39

Well, my house is a shit tip too, but I have a grocery delivery coming later and I'm too ashamed for anyone to see the shit tip, so that booking will force me to clean.

I'm not naturally brave, but I deliberately do something on a regular basis that scares me (e.g. volunteering to speak at a work event). I like that I can still surprise myself after all this time!

As for being fat and unfit, I log what I eat on MyFitnessPal (it's great) and do parkrun (there is a tail runner, so I feel like I have to finish because there's someone just behind me).

No one would ever guess I'm a lazy sod because I do things like the above that force me to seem more motivated than I actually am. Some people need a little push.

SnowCurl Thu 13-Oct-16 07:26:01

Roasted, that is sound advice. Earlier this year I engaged in a few things to take me out of my comfort zone and it does work. Have fallen a bit by the way side so time to get back on board! Thank you. Hope you managed to bask in the glory of your tidied house grin

Howlongtillbedtime Thu 13-Oct-16 07:40:27

I am going to have a look at that Paul McKenna book as well . My problem tends to be that I start off with loads of motivation to change things , weight , fitness , messy house etc and I burn out very quickly because I want things to change overnight because I have finally got off my arse to change things .

I need to sustain things and start off a bit slower .

Good luck grin

SnowCurl Thu 13-Oct-16 09:43:13

Yes How, I tend to take too much on all at once as I never know where to begin x

LiveLifeWithPassion Thu 13-Oct-16 09:51:50

Depending on my mood, I always put music/radio iplayer drama/ audiobook (download free from library)/ Netflix while I do boring chores.

I timetable my day and try to stick to it.

I listen to this every now and then as I find it really motivating
youtu.be/26U_seo0a1g

woowoowoo Thu 13-Oct-16 09:52:23

I too will be following this thread with interest as I am suffering severe depression.

I have just started counselling and am attending a mindfulness taster session next week.

I am trying to start small eg meet one friend each week for coffee / lunch etc. also trying to clear clutter and make some extra cash by listing a few things on eBay each day. I am also saving change and depositing odd amounts left over in bank account each week to a savings account. So if I have £54.67 in my bank on Friday, the £4.67 gets transferred to savings. Got £50 saved so far by very little effort. Going to buy myself a nice cashmere jumper when got enough.

More simple ideas welcome!

KC225 Thu 13-Oct-16 10:01:31

I know this little tip is on the scale of a pimple on an elephants bottom but when watching TV and the adverts come on I leapt up and 'do' stuff. Wipe down surfaces. Put away drying up, load dishwasher etc. Fold washing, gather toys etc to be put away. In the course of an evening it is amazing how much you can get done in these three four minutes sprints. Waking up to washing, messy kitchen living can be a morning bubble burst.

SnowCurl Thu 13-Oct-16 13:44:27

Woo, I too found that by doing something enjoyable (coffee with a friend) it does help maintain a level of sociability. There have been periods when I've truly avoided people and haven't been able to even look people in the eye. But sticking to that one "date" keeps you going and does make you feel better. Hope things perk up for you flowers I like the saving idea too! Going to start that!
KC225, that is a good way to be proactive and I have been doing this. Sometimes. When you are on the go constantly you hit a bit of a wall. I've found doing this allows me to give myself a bit of a break now and then but at the same time do odd jobs without feeling like a full time maid x

woowoowoo Thu 13-Oct-16 14:28:14

Snowcurl thanks for the message and glad that you're going to try the savings tip. It's nice to see it mount up and save it for a treat that you wouldn't normally be able to afford.

The meeting a friend each week is motivating me too. Making sure I look presentable and choosing something nice to wear. The more you do it, the more you want to keep doing it. I spent all summer hols as a recluse when kids were off school, even hiding from the postman! Now the kids are back to school, I am making more effort to get out there.

I also read a tip about just doing something for five minutes and then stopping. They say it's amazing what you can achieve in just five minutes. I'm going to give this a go, particularly regarding decluttering.

Another tip I heard was to keep a diary to make a note of all the things you achieved that day, however small. Such as, met friend, did washing, listed three things on eBay, booked dentist etc. Makes you realise you are doing things and keeps you motivated to do something so you have something to write down in your diary. Think I'll start this too.

Good luck also. We should keep updating on this thread of what we have managed to achieve and any other little tips that we hear or find useful.

SnowCurl Thu 13-Oct-16 22:11:58

Do you know, the diary of achievements is a good one. I used to keep one when I was going to CBT and had forgotten how useful that was. Time to start that one again.
Yes, lets! Sometimes you just need to be reminded of these things. If anyone is lurking but not posting it might be useful for them too! Xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now