To literally nearly throw the teddy out

(12 Posts)
Santander1 Wed 05-Oct-16 17:30:51

Dd was resisting homework big time. I'm not a big fan of homework and not remotely pushy (usually) but just now I flipped my lid a bit. Dd messed about, crawled under the table and then tried to get the Nobbly Bobbly out of the fridge that I was bribing her with. When I stood in her way she blew a razzer in my face.

I lost the plot. I slammed the kitchen door loudly, counted to three loudly and angrily, and finally when none of that worked I picked up the furreal pet thing that I'd bought her at the weekend and said 'right, THAT'S it! The toy gets it! It's going in the BIN!' I then stomped off with said toy. That brought her out pretty swiftly and she stood screaming NOOOOOOOOOO I'll DO IT!!!! She then sat down sobbing and wrote the three sentences that she had needed to write.

I am the worst mother in the world and deserve to have my children removed immediately.

I have apologised profusely for losing my temper, given her the Nobbly Bobbly and I am now flagellating myself soundly in the other room.

Was I BU ?

SatansLittleHelper2 Wed 05-Oct-16 17:32:45

Bit overdramatic but meh, we've all done it.

OwlinaTree Wed 05-Oct-16 17:38:19

Next time write in the homework book that you encouraged her to do it and this is what she did in 30 mins. Then just leave it.

I'm assuming primary age here.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Wed 05-Oct-16 17:40:53

Depends.
Is she 17?

gettingitwrongputingitright Wed 05-Oct-16 17:42:41

Age?

listsandbudgets Wed 05-Oct-16 17:50:55

Of course you were being unreasonable but only in retrospect. At the time she was pressing all your buttons and it's not surprising you flipped.

Forget it -she will. She did her homework,got her nobbly bobbly and all is now well with the world

HorridHenrietta2 Wed 05-Oct-16 17:52:58

Aarge!! This is why I HATE homework!!
They work so hard all day then come home to more of the same so, tired and stressed, they play up. Which has a massive impact on family life!!
(I'm an Sen teacher, refuse to set homework and do get in trouble for it!)
As pp said, try to get her to do it but if she refuses again just leave it, explain to the teacher and let school deal with it.
Not worth making your evening miserable over.

Fizzer123 Wed 05-Oct-16 17:58:01

Wish this would work with my kids. This just prompts screaming of "GIVE IT TO Meeeeeeeeee" and loads of crying confused

IAmAPaleontologist Wed 05-Oct-16 17:58:20

S'ok, today while ds1 was sitting at the table having written the title and one line which I had given hi to start him off I lost my temper as he was moaning and whinging and using that horrible quiet whining mumbly voice and saying he didn't know what to write and blah blah blah even though I was standing there and suggesting things. I ended up grabbing the sheet and scrunching it up and putting it in the bin.

He cried. I cried. We hugged and I apologised. He started again and has now written the first paragraph very well. I shouldn't have done it and yet it somehow broke the stalemate.

Elisheva Wed 05-Oct-16 18:12:25

I asked my kids to tidy their room, every time I checked on them they were messing around. We were expecting visitors and I was a little stressed so I picked up all the toys from the floor, put them in a black bag and threw it out into the garden. Not my finest parenting moment grin

RedSauceAndJellyJuice Wed 05-Oct-16 18:15:32

Nah , it's fine . Lesson learnt by both of you

Santander1 Wed 05-Oct-16 18:24:04

Thanks guys. I still feel really bad - she keeps saying 'I love you mummy'.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now