To not want to pay to spend an evening being scared and miserable

(120 Posts)
LivinLaVidaLoki Tue 04-Oct-16 20:34:14

A couple of weeks ago one of my friends (let's say friend A) went to one of these live action/interactive horror things, basically being scared shitless in a field in the middle of the night being chased by men with chainsaws, zombies, that kind of thing.
She was messaging me and another friend (friend b) about this and how much fun she had. Friend B then said that she was so jealous she'd always wanted to do something like that.
So tonight I get a message suggesting the three of us go to a place called Scare Kingdom because "it'll be a right laugh".
I just said tbh it's not my kind of thing (I did something as tame as pasaje del terror a few years ago and hated it, so I know I just won't enjoy it) but I did say friends A and British should go and have fun.
But now I'm just being called a chicken, a spoilsport all in a kind of jokey way but hinting that either I'm spoiling their fun by not going or that I don't know how to have fun. I know I'm probably being sensitive as got a million and one other things going on at the moment but it's just grating me a bit.
Surely it cant be just me who just doesn't see the fun in this sort of thing.

Disclaimer- if you do, fair enough, horses for courses and all that but my decision to not want to go should just be accepted right?

LivinLaVidaLoki Tue 04-Oct-16 20:35:02

A and B not A and British....Bloody predictive text.....

NapQueen Tue 04-Oct-16 20:35:44

God they sound a nightmare!

I'd love to do sonething like this but totally understand its not everyone cup of tea and would never ever bother someone to do it if they didn't really want to go.

chickenowner Tue 04-Oct-16 20:36:21

If you don't want to go, don't! And don't let them bully you into it!

Pyjamaface Tue 04-Oct-16 20:36:33

I hate stuff like that, and horror movies even the tame ones. Even Scream gave me nightmares for weeks.

My friends wouldn't be arseholes about it though, I freely admit I'm a chicken and it's left at that

DandelionAndBedrock Tue 04-Oct-16 20:36:47

You couldn't pay me to go.

A girl I was at uni with worked at one (as a ticket person, not dressed up as a zombie). She said people threw up/wet themselves from fear. No idea why you would do that to yourself.

Palegreenstars Tue 04-Oct-16 20:37:23

Sounds like an awful way to spend an evening. Meet them for a drink after?

schoolchange123 Tue 04-Oct-16 20:38:55

Yanbu. I've been asked to things like that and I just say no. I'm ok with the fact I'm a wimp and my friend ls go and have fun.

GingerbreadLatteToGo Tue 04-Oct-16 20:39:40

Of course your 'No thanks' should just be accepted. I'm surprised they don't know you well enough that know it's not your thing.

I wouldn't be scared because you know nothing awful will happen, I'd just find it incredibly boring & pointless myself.

LifeGotInTheWay Tue 04-Oct-16 20:40:59

YANBU. I couldn't sleep for week after Chamber of Horrors in Madame Tussaud's. And I mainly went round with my eyes closed!

NancyJoan Tue 04-Oct-16 20:43:15

I would loathe doing that. Don't let them bully you about it.

Oogle Tue 04-Oct-16 20:45:02

I did one when I was 13 with my family and some friends - Halloween night and the actors were brilliant. It was SO much fun.

17 years later? You couldn't bloody pay me to go. YANBU.

Longlost10 Tue 04-Oct-16 20:45:03

There is a theory that human physiology depends on and craves the occasional good scare, and some people get that satisfaction from role play, or horror films, etc, you don't have to though. We are all different.

I'd LOVE it grin

If however someone told me they didn't want to go, I'd say that's fine and arrange to do something with them another time. It's not up to me to decide if they should go or not confused

alltouchedout Tue 04-Oct-16 20:45:41

I did not know people did this. Now I know, I do not understand why anyone would do this!

WeirdAndPissedOff Tue 04-Oct-16 20:46:58

Of course YANBU. If they want to do it, them fine, but they shouldn't be arsey if others don't want to.

Is I possible that they're too scared to go as just a couple, hence the flak you're getting? Not that that makes it right, of course.

WatchingFromTheWings Tue 04-Oct-16 20:50:01

I'd just say no and not get drawn into any further conversation about it.

SugarMiceInTheRain Tue 04-Oct-16 20:50:35

YANBU at all. I would hate that. I won't go and see horror films for the same reasons. Why would I pay to scare myself senseless? It's just not my idea of fun/ relaxation.

The80sweregreat Tue 04-Oct-16 20:51:56

I dont blame you, dont go. Sounds awful.
Your not being unreasonable at all.

LivinLaVidaLoki Tue 04-Oct-16 20:53:04

See now I'm OK WITH horror films and a massive Stephen King fan. I just really don't enjoy this at all.

Icapturethecast1e Tue 04-Oct-16 20:55:00

Yanbu. No way in hell I would go to one of those things. I would tell them straight up how I feel & couldn't give a ship what they thought.

SweetChickadee Tue 04-Oct-16 20:55:28

OMG, bugger that for a game of soldiers. Stick to your guns woman grin

CrowyMcCrowFace Tue 04-Oct-16 20:55:35

Just keep saying it's not your idea of fun but you hope they have a blast & you're definitely up for doing something else another time. & repeat until they get the message...

I'd be totally up for it & absolutely the last thing I'd want would be a friend who isn't enthusiastic being dragged along. At best you'll dampen their fun by not enjoying it & at worst you'll have a truly miserable time.

Either way, it's silly for you to go - you've made it clear that it isn't your thing & it won't make anyone's evening more fun if you attend.

They are being a bit dickish & you should stick to your guns here.

Violetcharlotte Tue 04-Oct-16 20:55:54

No yanbu. Sounds like my idea of hell!

MotherFuckingChainsaw Tue 04-Oct-16 20:58:50

The thing is why the fuck would they want you to go if you are going to hate it.

It's no fun taking someone who just isn't having a nice time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now