AIBU

(6 Posts)
RaeAm Tue 04-Oct-16 17:52:45

To think that my 14 year old daughter should be subject to the same rules with her 13 year old girlfriend that my son would have been at that age? Before we knew they were in a relationship they hung out in her room together every evening. which has made things really complicated. Now I think I certainly wouldn't have let my son be laying in bed with a girlfriend at that age- but I don't want to make a huge sudden fuss about it, and the house really has nowhere else for them to hang out. And I certainly don't want to make my daughter feel I don't accept her, or her gf -who's lovely -feel like I don't like her.

Sirzy Tue 04-Oct-16 17:54:33

Can you not just have an open door rule?

Longlost10 Tue 04-Oct-16 17:54:59

"leave the door open" rule

RaeAm Tue 04-Oct-16 21:54:06

I think I'm coming to that conclusion myself. And not under the covers!

HereIAm20 Wed 05-Oct-16 18:43:03

When you impose the rule tell her its the same rule for you with your gf as it was for your brother with his so she can see that it is not a discriminatory/judgment call just a parent thing!

RaeAm Wed 05-Oct-16 19:02:41

He never had one- even though he's two years older he still doesn't have one and is very put out that she got one first!

But, yes, I had that chat with her last night and that's how I put it- that and "I wouldn't have a leg to stand on if he brought a gf home" which horrified her!

And - top parenting- I managed to slip in a bedroom tidying nag- as in "she can go in your room if the door's open , but only if there's a clear space for her to sit that isn't on the bed." Cue frantic room clearing :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now