48 sickness hour rule

(16 Posts)
Theonlywayis Tue 04-Oct-16 07:45:42

So DS1 aged 2 was sick twice on Sunday. The last time was about 4.30pm. Other than the 2 puking episodes he has been completely fine. No diarrhoea, not been off his food, been playing like normal the whole time. Today he's been invited to a party which starts at 3pm so would be approx 46.5 hours afterwards. I've spoken to the mum who says she's happy for him to go as long as he's well which he is but obviously hers will not be the only child there. I've always stuck to the 48 hours rule with nursery and think I probably should with this too bit just wanted opinions. He does really want to go. WWYD?

RedHelenB Tue 04-Oct-16 07:47:47

He will be fine and so will the others. Enjoy the party.

flanjabelle Tue 04-Oct-16 07:50:13

No I wouldn't. That rule is there to protect others from sickness bugs. Your ds might have got off lightly, but that doesn't mean another child might not become very ill with it. Also anyone with a compromised immune system could become dangerously ill.

Notagainmun Tue 04-Oct-16 07:53:44

I don't think that an hour and a half will make much difference, take him.

ashamedtoask Tue 04-Oct-16 07:54:25

46 hours is pretty much 48 isn't it? I'd just go, especially seeing as the host is happy to have him. Fwiw I was and still am very fequently sick - not due to bugs, due to lactose intolerance. So it might not even have been a bug.

myfavouritecolourispurple Tue 04-Oct-16 08:05:41

I was also going to say it might not have been a bug - if it was a reaction to something she ate, that's not going to affect anyone else. And 46 hours is really no different to 48. Some places have a 24 hour exclusion policy anyway.

Bubbinsmakesthree Tue 04-Oct-16 08:16:15

if the party were 1.5hrs later do you think he'd suddenly, magically be uncontagious? I think you are way overthinking, 48 hours is just a convenient rule-of-thumb, 46.5 hrs is basically the same thing.

If he wasn't actually at all poorly beyond being sick it's highly possible it was never anything contagious anyway.

LyndaNotLinda Tue 04-Oct-16 08:25:21

It's very near 48 hours. I think he'll be fine.

quasibex Tue 04-Oct-16 09:12:26

Another vote for fine.

There is no magical cut off, 1.5 hours is not going to make any difference at all otherwise the advice would be more generous than 48 hours to be on the safe side.

Theonlywayis Tue 04-Oct-16 10:06:44

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Tbh I think I was just looking for validation that i'm not nuts bc I'm a bit of a germ (especially sickness) phobe but turns out I am just a bit crazy. I know logically 2 hours won't make much difference but I don't know I think it's about feeling responsible. Like if we went along and someone else got sick but I'd followed the rules well that would be bad but not really my fault IYKWIM? I've spoken to the mum and agreed a playmate with her DD next week by way of apology - to both of our Dc.
Honestly I've gotten a lot better. When I was on mat leave and both my dc got a sickbug I kept them away from toddler groups for 2 weeks but obviously now I'm back at work I can't do that and we just do 48 hours. Think I am a bit of a nutterblush

KnitMeAUnicorn Tue 04-Oct-16 10:13:59

He can definitely go to the last half hour of the party, assuming it lasts 2 hours! grin

LyndaNotLinda Tue 04-Oct-16 10:36:01

You're not going to let him go? That's crazy!

LyndaNotLinda Tue 04-Oct-16 10:36:06

LyndaNotLinda Tue 04-Oct-16 10:36:08

LyndaNotLinda Tue 04-Oct-16 10:36:11

LyndaNotLinda Tue 04-Oct-16 10:36:17

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now