AIBU to be having a tough time with this decision?

(7 Posts)
ShtoppenDerFloppen Mon 03-Oct-16 03:50:22

I have just been offered a position that I think I would do well at - it'll be straight evenings and possibly some weekends, and the pay is not unreasonable. I have until 5 pm today to accept the offer.

The problem is that I have also been invited for assessment for a significantly higher paying government job. The assessment is 2 rounds of testing followed by a panel interview, but I am scheduled to come in for assessment in 2 1/2 weeks, potentially after I would start the job I have been offered. Of course, the government job could have me set for the rest of my working career, with benefits, pay, and potential for improvement.

The one I have been offered has decent pay. The government job's pay is 50% higher, and includes private medical benefits which my family needs.

So...I am thinking of accepting the position, but still attending the testing in a couple of weeks.

If I am offered the government position, I am still within 90 days' probationary period where I can leave without cause or repercussion.

Is this a reasonable plan? AIBU to even be considering this path?

puglife15 Mon 03-Oct-16 03:57:47

YANBU. I'd put myself first over an employer. The timing is unfortunate but there's no guarantee you would get the govt job.

Just do what you can to help the other employer out should you need to leave, eg help them fill the role or work more than your required notice, as you never know when you might meet them again.

Superstar90 Mon 03-Oct-16 03:59:02

Do it. First job will be a bit pissed off and you'd be totally writing off ever returning there or having contacts there but no one can enforce you to work somewhere and you have to put yourself first.

annandale Mon 03-Oct-16 04:04:14

I would do it. Employers deserve loyalty and fair treatment as far as you can but ultimately wouldn't hesitate to make you redundant if the business required it. Your employer is not your family. If you get the big job, try to negotiate the latest starting date you can.

SmallBee Mon 03-Oct-16 04:16:24

YANBU, I'd definitely do that.

NewToRenting Mon 03-Oct-16 04:34:11

I'm probably late in adding my opinion but just wanted to add my two pence worth. I would go with previous posters in saying accept the first job. But if possible ask for a start date after the Govt job assessment. That way they would still have lost time, but at least not the effort in training you up. Moreover, that way the first job will remain a faceless entity to you, and you won't have the embarrassment of saying goodbye to people who you would otherwise know by then.

ShtoppenDerFloppen Mon 03-Oct-16 14:00:21

For the first position, they are bringing in 3 people, so perhaps I could offer to step back to a secondary role and stay on - that way, the time and expense of training hasn't been wasted on me.

My DH was made redundant a little over 3 weeks ago, so right now any work is a good thing.

Thank you for all your advice. I am struggling right now to make the correct decision, as I have been on "the other side of the desk" and acknowledge the effort that goes into recruiting the right person for a supervisory/management position.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now