Working on a Sunday night.

(19 Posts)
furryminkymoo Sun 02-Oct-16 22:27:14

I work for a large multi national company, tonight I logged on and did some work, in the last 2 hours. I am going on holiday next week and things are very very busy so I decided to log in from home. Laptop, home connections etc.

EVERYONE that I emailed replied straightaway, I checked our instant messenger and loads of my colleagues are online.

Surely it shouldn't be like this, its Sunday. We should put our foot down and ask for more support?

JellyBelli Sun 02-Oct-16 22:30:28

Yes, its ridiculous. People should have contracted hours, and not be afraid to work them.
But you may find some of your colleagues are too scared to join you.

edwinbear Sun 02-Oct-16 22:31:02

I got an e mail about 4pm this afternoon asking me to attend a job interview at 2pm tomorrow. Sadly it's the way of the world these days I think.

Whoamiwhatami Sun 02-Oct-16 22:35:16

There are many jobs that Sunday night is part of the working week.

We live in a 24 hour working society and people who work 9to5 Monday to Friday don't always appreciate that weekends are exempt from work.

Oldraver Sun 02-Oct-16 22:36:45

Yes OH is working tonight until 6am...though its part of his 4 on 4 off shift

Whoamiwhatami Sun 02-Oct-16 22:39:53

My dh is in til 7am it's part of his night working shift pattern.

PonderingLikeAPond Sun 02-Oct-16 22:41:20

Depends. Do these sundays hours get logged as part of your contracted hours?

Ive just got in from work and I left an hour early too. Lots and lots of people work sunday nights as a standard.

MsMermaid Sun 02-Oct-16 22:43:06

I always do some work on a Sunday evening. It's usually planning lessons for the coming week, so I could technically have done it on Friday evening or any time over the weekend, but I generally leave til Sunday night.

Johnny5isAlive Sun 02-Oct-16 22:52:30

Unfortunately that's how it is. With the ability to wfh comes the expectation that we will.
It becomes a viscous circle, the more you do to catch up/stay ahead of the game on an evening, the more it's expected you work every evening

Nectarines Sun 02-Oct-16 22:56:59

I'm still working and will be for a while.

All my colleagues do the same.

I'm a primary teacher. Never been so overwhelmed with the workload.

fj3568 Sun 02-Oct-16 22:59:12

I've just spent 3 hours playing catch up. Often the only way I can manage my work load

HemanOrSheRa Sun 02-Oct-16 22:59:42

I've been on call since 7am yesterday morning. I finish at 7am tomorrow morning sad. I'm pissed off now but it is part of my contract. I've still had enough now though!

converseandjeans Sun 02-Oct-16 23:03:41

I work Sunday nights during term time & lots of staff reply to emails on a Sunday. I think it's the norm sadly sad

MrsMook Sun 02-Oct-16 23:19:07

I'm currently not working, and one of the many perks is not starting my week on Sunday evening, and setting the alarm at stupid o'clock to do marking before the DCs wake up.

Last night, I was in a friend's pub. He was able to have a drink with us, but was clearly on duty and aware of what was going on all the time. It reminded me of travelling around Asia where although there is a long hours culture, it's very much integrated with family and social life. Our increasing culture of long hours encroaches into personal lives much more in an exclusionary way. The constant dripping of email and mobile contact is stressful as it destroys the boundaries of work and life. One colleague had a nervous breakdown last year. The first thing he did on getting home from hospital was delete the work email account from his mobile.

Exhausting ourselves with constant availability is poor for our overall productivity and efficiency.

AndNowItsSeven Sun 02-Oct-16 23:22:07

I once had an email reply from Dd's college tutor sent at 12.15 am!

JaceLancs Sun 02-Oct-16 23:25:19

I put away my work phone on a Friday night so I don't get bothered even with emails
Then I get it out on a Sunday eve, gives me a head start on the week, plan work for Monday etc, often ice had an email over the weekend that has involved a change of diary for Monday morning or something new and urgent that makes me rearrange my Monday or Tuesday
I think it depends what type of job you do

JaceLancs Sun 02-Oct-16 23:25:44

I've not ice!

BackforGood Sun 02-Oct-16 23:40:50

There have been various studies, haven't there, amongst "top performing companies" showing that staff are more productive if made to only work their contracted hours, and are made to take lunch breaks and go home at the end of a normal working day etc.

However, in some jobs, it is 'expected' or some would say 'necessary' and sort of goes with the territory. I guess it depends on what the 'pros' of any job are, as to whether the 'cons' outweigh them or not. Difficult to say without us all knowing the context of each others jobs.

TonaldDrump Sun 02-Oct-16 23:44:55

I tend to do a couple of hours on a Sunday evening and j know many who do. Helps prepare me for the week ahead. I think it's only s problem if people are working significantly long hours

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now