Neighbours cat

(19 Posts)
jwww Sun 02-Oct-16 20:14:59

My neighbours cat keeps coming into our house, we leave are cat flap open during the day as we have 3 cats and lock our in at night. We tried stopping him at first but we can't stop him when we're out and we don't really mind him coming in as he doesn't cause too much of a problem. We told our neighbours and they'd occasionally knock and ask for him back but other wise didnt seem too fussed. We chuck him out about 10pm when we lock our cats in, problem is they don't let him in at night so he just sits outside waiting for us to open the cat flap again which we usually do about 6am,which is when he comes back in to sleep here for the day, again we chuck him out but what can we do when we're not here!
Today our neighbour turned up says (completely out of the blue) it's her cat and she doesn't like him being here and it's upsetting her autistic daughter who doesn't understand, we explained there's not a lot we can do without locking our cats in or out which we're prepared to do but said we'd chuck him out if we see him.
After chucking him out several times this evening and him just running straight back in or crying loudly outside the window I went round and knocked with the cat about half 7 (and they've knocked here late as 9:30pm asking for him) and they're not in or ignoring me! They've gone out presumably for the night as there cars gone but all there lights are on but they've locked him out!!!

What the hell am I meant to do! I understand why they're upset but if they didn't lock their cat out in the cold he wouldn't feel the need to sleep here!

HerFaceIsaMapOfTheWorld Sun 02-Oct-16 20:20:42

He is use to you now and they are obviously not paying attention to him. I think they are being unreasonable and you are being kind allowing him to sleep in your house rather than left outside.

mysistersimone Sun 02-Oct-16 20:23:45

I had a neighbour who used to bitch about me because her cat used to come and sleep in my house, with my kids. I love cats, I didn't feed him, I just gave him some fuss. I did for a short while try and encourage him home but the owner didn't let him in. There's not a lot you can do if their cat loves you. As any quality cat owner knows sometimes cats choose their slaves. If they don't want their cat goin in your house they need to keep him in. You're not doing anything wrong.

CrohnicallyAspie Sun 02-Oct-16 20:25:18

Why don't you get one of those cat flaps that recognises your cats microchip? Then your cats can come in and theirs can't.

PinkBrainsTasteGut Sun 02-Oct-16 20:34:35

If they have a problem with where their cat goes outside, they don't let it outside. Easy peasy. I wouldn't bother taking him round.

jwww Sun 02-Oct-16 20:36:34

They're expensive and not fool proof! I work in a pet store and I know for a fact a determined cat can manually override and open a locked cat flap.
One of my cats is too large to fit through the £100 microchip ones anyway as he's over 6kg and I imagine if they come in a bigger size they'll be more expensive!
The infra red cat flaps you need to get an ID tag for each cat which are about £15 each, I have 3 cats who regularly loose collars it'd cost me a fortune!
At the moment we leave our conservatory door open for cats to come in and a cat flap inside, we lock the door at night so ours can't get out and so other cats can't get in.

Wolfiefan Sun 02-Oct-16 20:37:22

Microchip catflap.
It's not your cat.
It will soon take to hanging out at its own house rather than yours.

Julia001 Sun 02-Oct-16 20:39:58

Cats will choose where they live, if these awful people lock him out at night how can they be surprised when he decides that he likes your house better, I would ignore the door at night and not chuck him out anymore, the poor thing !

ThatIsNachoCheese Sun 02-Oct-16 20:53:36

Why on earth do they keep locking him out?!
This really is their problem and not yours, tell them to keep their bloody cat flap open for him if they come round again.
Fwiw we have just got a microchip cat flap as our poor new scaredy cat couldn't cope with the bloody great Tom coming into her space. So far so good (fingers crossed). We got it on amazon for £50.

JacquesHammer Sun 02-Oct-16 21:13:17

I have a similar problem with next door's cat.

It climbs in through my window, comes in through the door when carrying stuff from the car.

Next door are spectacularly unhelpful.

I have never fed/fussed it. It has eaten food from my worktops and wrecked my hall carpet 😡

WhooooAmI24601 Sun 02-Oct-16 21:15:24

We have a cat flap which recognises their microchips. Brilliant invention. The stupidest cat sits next to it and loudly howls the song of his people til we open the door, but the other three merrily prance in and out all day long riling the dog.

WhooooAmI24601 Sun 02-Oct-16 21:17:33

Oh, that'l teach me to refresh the post before I type!

What about a water pistol? (A tiny one, not a super soaker) Ours despise any kind of water so to keep them from pooping on the neighbours lawn I gave the DCs teeny tiny water pistols and sent them on patrol. Only took a few shots before they stared pooping elsewhere (on the other neighbours lawn, but we don't like her so it's fine)

RoseGoldHippie Sun 02-Oct-16 21:18:24

Omg! Our cats decided to be extra nosey and ran in and out of my neighbours house on one of their first trips outside (shared garden) I was so embarrassed i sent DP round to apologise! Haha they looked very confused I don't think they had even realised!

Point is - people who think it is acceptable
To lock cats out at night and expect others to feed them etc should not have cats. Also JACQUES that's rediculous! They should receive a bill for the carpet! angry

Linpinfinwin Sun 02-Oct-16 21:31:05

Ask your neighbour what they suggest. Agree to things that are reasonable. IMO expecting you to police your own cat flap incessantly, spend £££ on a microchip one, or lock your own cats in or out would not be reasonable. Them paying for a microchip catflap for you might be. But most of the solutions I can think of (catproofing their garden to keep their cat in, not locking their cat out) are actions on their part not yours.

We have asked our neighbours to stop feeding our cats, because they were overweight, and I think that's reasonable too. But let your neighbour make the running.

Benedikte2 Sun 02-Oct-16 21:40:02

The neighbours are being cruel to their cat. Just treat it as your own and hand it back if they come calling for it, after looking vague and asking everyone if they've seen it today. Say you try to chase it away but you can't keep up with it. Ask why they don't let it in at night because all the animal welfare people say they should be.
Good luck
You sound like a true cat lover OP

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 02-Oct-16 21:43:30

I'd say I hadn't seen it. Who the fuck locks pets outside? Cats like the warm.

MaddyHatter Sun 02-Oct-16 21:49:00

so he basically spends all day at yours, and is out in the cold all night?

i'd tell them to either look after their cat properly or to fuck off as they're neglecting him.

Who the fuck locks their cats out at night? Mine are bought in as soon as it starts going dark.

But then i reported my neighbour to the RSPCA after their 21yo cat was locked out in the snow and was freezing to death in my back porch.

They had it taken off them.

bertsdinner Sun 02-Oct-16 22:02:34

I agree they should look after the cat properly, cats dont like being locked out.
If they let it in more the cat would be more inclined to stay at home rather than latching on to a better alternative.

jwww Mon 03-Oct-16 19:46:49

Update: My partner went away and left for his flight early and we noticed neighbours cat outside our window (this was 3am!). I hadn't see him all day until now,he's turned up crying at the window. I'm** assuming they let him in during the day but kick him out at night after they put there daughter to bed angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now