To wait til tomorrow for a dentist?

(6 Posts)
WhooooAmI24601 Sun 02-Oct-16 16:30:46

DS2 is 5 and has had a couple of fillings already this year. Dentist explained that some children's enamel isn't as hard as others so is more prone to decay (DS1 is 10 and has never had a filling, I'm 35 and have had just one so I naively assumed we were a family with strong teeth - not so). I'm militant about teeth brushing and limit intake of sugary stuff most of the time in order to not aggravate the situation with DS2's teeth.

Since yesterday morning he's been a little off-colour and weepy saying his cheek hurt. He often has ear infections so I assumed he had one on the way and began treating with calpol/brufen to tide us over til Monday. He's cried on and off for most of today and I've just checked his mouth as he's been saying it hurts and there's a little chunk of tooth missing on one of his back molars. It's the same tooth he had a filling in and looks exactly as though the filling has come out leaving an open cavity.

Our local dentist opens at 8am tomorrow but DH insists I should get him seen before then. The pain is manageable using over the counter remedies and our dentist is generally great for DC appointments so AIBU to leave him til the morning or should he be seen immediately?

LIZS Sun 02-Oct-16 16:33:44

It is very unlikely he'd be seen before tomorrow. If you can manage the pain it won't make much difference now.

Youarenotprepared Sun 02-Oct-16 16:57:06

If he isn't screaming in pain I would pain manage and see your own dentist as an emergency tomorrow. Out of hours won't usually fill it properly (they tend to do temp patch ups) so will likely just be an extra trip he doesn't need.

Lovewineandchocs Sun 02-Oct-16 17:48:52

Yes I've been to out of hours for this problem-not worth it, a really long wait for a temporary dressing. I'd keep the pain under control as much as possible and ring the dentist first thing tomorrow. Why is is down to you btw and not your DH?

harderandharder2breathe Sun 02-Oct-16 18:11:30

If you can keep the pain under control yourself then do that, and call your own dentist first thing in the morning to explain the situation and ask for him to be seen asap

A dentist he is familiar with is probsbly better for DS, especially if he's prone to decay, you don't want a bad experience with a stranger to put him off (not saying that would happen! I'm sure ooh dentists are very good)

SanityAssassin Sun 02-Oct-16 18:21:18

You can buy temporary filling kits at the chemist or some supermarkets. My hygienist said sugar free gum as a last resort til I could see dentist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now