to find patenting boring AF

(10 Posts)
GeordieBadgers Sat 01-Oct-16 19:02:06

I'm a single mum. I'll positively FIGHT not to have my kids for any longer than I must. I love them to death and would take a bullet for them, but MY GOD do I find parenting boring. The thought of spending a day alone with them fills me with dread as I don't know how to entertain them. They are 4 and 6.

Most parents love spending time with their children but I don't. I feel like I must be a horrible human being. No one understands how a mother cannot want to see her children. Truth is I feel too boring for them.

paxillin Sat 01-Oct-16 19:10:06

I loved the baby stage and then 6+. I'm not so great at the argumentative, but not yet reasonable age. I don't give a shit who gets the green cup, but ye gods, the fights over the damn thing! I also have no idea if T Rex or Superman would win a fight. Hang on in there, you are in for some parenting sweet spots as they get older. I love teens and pre-teens.

stayathomegardener Sat 01-Oct-16 19:10:13

That is so sad.
Maybe it is their ages, I really struggled with the baby/toddler stages and felt very like you but loved 4-12 and have very much enjoyed teens.
Hopefully things will change for you.

stayathomegardener Sat 01-Oct-16 19:11:21

Cross post Pax smile

paxillin Sat 01-Oct-16 19:12:18

Indeed. For me, I'd have loved to skip 2.5-7 if at all possible.

paxillin Sat 01-Oct-16 19:13:13

Maybe we could organise a kid swap, take a baby or a teen for a preschooler, swap back later grin

megletthesecond Sat 01-Oct-16 19:22:28

It's hard when you're on your own. I've been a total lp for 8yrs and weekends can be grim. It makes me very introspective and anxious.

At that age cheap / free activities are your friend. Charity shops for toys and DVDs. Parks with nature trails etc.

howtodowills Sat 01-Oct-16 19:55:54

Look up some ideas of places to go with them online or things to do with them.
Do you have other parent friends you can do things with.

Don't be a lazy parent

They didn't ask for you to be their mum... you need to at least try to give them stimulating and enjoyable things to do. If you're not keen what about sports clubs or places they can go to have fun and you can then have free time to do your thing?

My step kids have a lame mother and it makes me really sad that they never get to do fun stuff cause she doesn't enjoy ir

PonderingLikeAPond Sat 01-Oct-16 19:57:26

At that age though they can find enjoyment in the small things. Seaside. Woodland walk. Soft play.

StarlingMurmuration Sat 01-Oct-16 20:51:55

I absolutely worship DS but I do find parenting him at home dull as anything. Much more fun when DP is home too, or when I take DS out and about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now