To think that giving an 18 month old popcorn is dangerous and irresponsible?

(51 Posts)
BringMeMyThrone Sat 01-Oct-16 13:15:17

I think I may be overreacting but I wouldn't give popcorn to any kid under 4.

The woman in question has form for giving totally inappropriate food to her child and then boasting that it is a sign of how advanced they are. Put baby rice in the bottle from 8 weeks, started forcefeeding giving her dc banana at 12 weeks, on 3 jars a day by 15 weeks, and the list goes on. So I admit my judgement may be already clouded. But I just bumped into her at the shops and her 18 month old was mucking their way through a large bag of popcorn in the buggy hmm I couldn't hide my surprise when she said 'Oh yes, dc loves popcorn and has been eating it nonstop for the last 3 months'.

Aibu to think that this is an accident waiting to happen? Do people really give popcorn to toddlers? I used to work as a childminder and had a specific rule in my agreement stating that no nuts or popcorn were to be sent with children due to the danger of it.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 01-Oct-16 13:16:25

What's wrong with popcorn?

PoliticalBiscuit Sat 01-Oct-16 13:17:16

I had no idea, I've fed it as a rare treat to an 18 month old and older. More than anything I worried about decay! Curious what other people will say.

BringMeMyThrone Sat 01-Oct-16 13:17:28

It's a choking hazard

SimonLeBonOnAndOn Sat 01-Oct-16 13:17:35

What's the problem with popcorn?!

RavioliOnToast Sat 01-Oct-16 13:17:44

My dcs have popcorn. One ha just gone 19months but she's been having it since she could chew. Plain popped as a snack.

pointythings Sat 01-Oct-16 13:21:13

I'd say it depends on how well the individual child is chewing. By 18 months my DDs had all their back molars and could chew their way through anything, so I'd have been fine with giving them popcorn albeit they would have had to be supervised.

Setting 4 as an age limit is very OTT.

1potato2potato3potato4 Sat 01-Oct-16 13:21:51

I'm just about to serve up some popcorn to DD(3). I wouldn't bat an eyelid.
You can choke on anything, one of mine did choke once, I had to Heimlich her and everything. It was on a sausage and she was 6!
The most important thing is to supervise whilst they eat (it's true what they, people choke silently as I learnt to my horror!) Popcorn... Meh.

1potato2potato3potato4 Sat 01-Oct-16 13:23:01

true what they *say even

SnugglySnerd Sat 01-Oct-16 13:23:13

I agree, I wouldn't give it to my 2.5 year old, choking risk.

MoreGilmoreGirls Sat 01-Oct-16 13:23:34

Think you're being a bit PFB, my sons nursery gives popcorn as a snack, he's 2.

DeanTavalouris Sat 01-Oct-16 13:25:21

Nuts are a choking hazard because they are hard, smooth and round. Popcorn is not. You can buy popcorn for toddlers (Goodies I think).

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Sat 01-Oct-16 13:25:24

My 16 month old has popcorn occasionally. I supervise her when she is eating anyway because everything is a potential choking hazard. You're being a bit ott really, she was right there.

Crazycatladyloz82 Sat 01-Oct-16 13:25:27

I bought my dd some ellas cinnamon popcorn when she was 12 months (it was recommended from 12 months plus). She loves it so I make my own for her now. It would be hard to choke as the popped corn dissolves quickly. She is always supervised however.

BitchPeas Sat 01-Oct-16 13:26:13

DD is 19 months and has popcorn, always supervised as she is with all other foods.

Is it more of a choking risk than other foods?

BringMeMyThrone Sat 01-Oct-16 13:26:24

Maybe I am being ott then. I'm surprised at a childcare facility serving it to 2 year olds though as when I did my childcare training a few years back, it was drilled into us that it wasn't suitable for kids under 4. There have been many deaths of kids due to choking on it.

corythatwas Sat 01-Oct-16 13:26:48

Is it a particularly bad choking hazard and if so why?

Enidblyton1 Sat 01-Oct-16 13:27:28

Her other feeding choices are not recommended, but I think it's clouding your judgement. I don't think there's anything wrong with popcorn - no more a choking hazard than many things. Fine with supervision.
Now if it was sugary popcorn, I would say it's not particularly great for an 18 month old to be regularly snacking on, but that's another thread.....

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Sat 01-Oct-16 13:27:41

shock
I would never give popcorn to my DD. It's far too delicious.

DoItTooJulia Sat 01-Oct-16 13:28:44

My dad is almost 4. He does have popcorn but supervised.

Marshmallows are a choking risk too. sad

nosyupnorth Sat 01-Oct-16 13:29:04

all solid food is a choking hazard - why single out popcorn

TitsCrossed Sat 01-Oct-16 13:30:00

Link to evidence showing many pop corn related deaths?

spindletree Sat 01-Oct-16 13:31:06

The bags normally have a stash of unpopped kernels at the bottom. They are a choking hazard.
And of course a sausage has the potential, it is one of the biggest hazards. Especially at around six , as parents decide to stop cutting them lengthways then.

spindletree Sat 01-Oct-16 13:31:41

Anyway. YANBU.
Sensible actually.

BringMeMyThrone Sat 01-Oct-16 13:32:42

Popcorn has a higher chance of becoming lodged in the throat. It's one of the top choking hazards, along with nuts, hard candy, grapes and hotdogs. There's actually a move in America to place warning labels on popcorn advising that it is a choking hazard and not recommended for under 4s.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now