AIBU or would this annoy you?

(14 Posts)
ineedamoreadultieradult Sat 01-Oct-16 08:07:04

So DS9 plays in a sports team for his school. It is a team of 7. Due to being a small school they normally only have one sub but due to injury at the moment they have no subs. The teams they are playing have about 3-5 subs. So the team has had to work especially hard. This week they played 2 matches on the same day back to back. They did well and won one and drew one and didn't concede a single goal against them. The teacher has written up the matches for the newsletter and name checked the 4 attacking players and talked about their contributions to the game. They have not mentioned defense even in passing let alone named them. So 4 out of 7 players mentioned by name and no talk at all of the other 3 players contribution. My son is one that has been named so this is not sour grapes but it feels unfair and I hope the kids don't read it or take it to heart. It's a team game and they won and drew as a team, those 4 players wouldn't have got the result they did without the other 3. So would this annoy you? Am I being precious?

hesterton Sat 01-Oct-16 08:09:51

A bit, unless he only names the same 4 every week.

Gizlotsmum Sat 01-Oct-16 08:10:49

It's a hard one. I think all should be name checked but in professional football it is often only the attacking players that get name checked... maybe have a quiet word that you felt the whole teams performance should have been recognised

cansu Sat 01-Oct-16 08:14:17

Yes let him get on with job of managing the team. Unless you can take over as coach and organiser? I find it pretty amazing how many people are constantly criticising someone elses job. Maybe he will mention different kids next time? Maybe he speaks to the kids as well? Unless you think he is nasty and crap at the role in which case u can withdraw your ds.

acasualobserver Sat 01-Oct-16 08:22:36

It would only annoy me if I was looking for something to be annoyed about.

Realhousewivesofshit Sat 01-Oct-16 08:24:50

No wouldnt bother me.

Strikers always get more glory.

ineedamoreadultieradult Sat 01-Oct-16 08:25:18

Harsh cansu I haven't criticised the job he does as coach etc I was just testing the water as to if I was being unreasonable to feel a bit annoyed that his write up only focused on a certain element of the team. This comes from the fact DS plays in a team outside of the school in the same sport and they always make sure to mention in their write ups that they win/draw/lose as a team. I'm perfectly happy to be told AIBU and I am perfectly happy to let him get on with it I have no intention of speaking to him about it as there are far bigger things in life and I am grateful he gives his time to the team.

WhateverWillBe Sat 01-Oct-16 08:30:18

YANBU and it is annoying.

Both of my ds's play football for our local club. Ds2 is in the front (forward? who knows) - anyway, in a goal scoring position. He gets constant mentions and praise etc because he scores goals, or perfectly lines them up for someone else to score. All the front players/goal scorers get mentioned.

Ds1 plays defence and he's a fantastic defender. Many times he's saved possible goals without the goalkeeper needing to get involved. In direction comparison, he's a better player than ds2 albeit in very different ways. He never gets a mention, none of the defenders do. The actual keeper does because that's a 'thing' but the defenders get forgotten about, even though they're massively important players in the game.

It pisses me off too but i've never said anything because i'm determined not to be that mother.

The whole things sounds ridiculous unless you have boys that play football and get it - but if you put it into a different situation relative to you and it was 4 out of 7 ballet dancers constantly getting pushed to the front of photos, getting to hold their medals, getting mentioned etc - it would piss a lot of parents off.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Sat 01-Oct-16 08:32:01

Get son to learn from Lewis Hamilton.

It is very noticable that he always says thank you to the whole team that supports his efforts in the car. He always rushes to give them a hug when things go well. He absolutely unserstands that whilst he is driving, his efforts can be totally undone by anyone in the team so he is only the front face of everyone.

SaggyNaggy Sat 01-Oct-16 08:35:39

Without being there to see how the match went it might be that the four he mentioned worked harder than the three he didn't mention.
Defense is important but the attack is what scores the points that win the matches.

Caipira Sat 01-Oct-16 09:13:35

Yes this would annoy me. A team is exactly that. It's a team. I play midfield in a team, everyone playing a part and working together is how games are won.

coffeetasteslikeshit Sat 01-Oct-16 09:17:27

I'm a defender and this happens all the time. Pisses me off, but then again, not enough for me to take over the job of writing the match reports so I would never say anything grin

yeOldeTrout Sat 01-Oct-16 09:37:41

I'd be more sad than annoyed. Not worth thinking about, though.

myownprivateidaho Sat 01-Oct-16 09:40:52

I don't think it's a big deal I'm afraid. Perhaps he thought that the strikers did particularly well?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now