To wonder why I didn't even get an interview for this post?

(41 Posts)
Runny Fri 30-Sep-16 15:49:34

I work as a supply TA through an agency. Just before the summer term I worked in a lovely school for several weeks covering sick leave, before I finished the placement they told me that if a vacancy ever came up that I should apply for it.

Fast forward to last week. A part time job had come available at the school. I didn't see the advert, but the head teacher made a point of hunting me down via my agency and asking me to apply for it ASAP. I emailed the head and told her who I was and she messaged straight back saying yes she still wanted me to apply for it, and so I did immediately.

This was the Friday, the interviews were this Wednesday just gone. On Monday afternoon I got a really short, curt email from the head thanking me for my application but saying they were not going to pursue it this time.

To say it was a punch in the gut was an understatement. Why make a point of tracking me down and asking me to apply if they weren't even going to give me an interview? I really got along well with everyone at the school, and you'll know if you do supply, there are some places you just gel with straight away, and that's why I really don't get it? No one in my family can understand it either. Obviously if I'd been interviewed and not got it that would have been different, but this has left me scratching my head...

I have anxiety and poor self esteem and this was such a confidence boost, and now I'm back at square one. The only thing I can think of is that my agency have put them off me somehow, but why would they do that?

Can anyone help me shed any light on what may have happened here? I feel so low right now.

BorpBorpBorp Fri 30-Sep-16 15:52:16

Are they definitely still appointing someone? It sounds a bit like they have withdrawn the post.

Runny Fri 30-Sep-16 15:56:54

I hadnt thought about them withdrawing the post, but why would they do that?

SheldonsSpot Fri 30-Sep-16 15:57:12

I was thinking the same, sounds like the post has been withdrawn.

NightNightBadger19962 Fri 30-Sep-16 15:57:30

Get someone to look through your application objectively to see if there is anything in there putting them off - they might have assumed you have certain skills or experience that you don't?

user1471950254 Fri 30-Sep-16 15:58:33

Given you were approached to apply it seems odd. I would approach the Head directly and ask why you were not shortlisted for interview. To make it less uncomfortable for you to do so ask about your CV/application form and how it did not meet shortlisting criteria on this occasion. Be brave, it's the only way to find out and also show your commitment for any future opportunities there!

myownprivateidaho Fri 30-Sep-16 15:58:37

Just ask the school why, no one here can tell you, unfortunately. And sadly part of the job application process is getting lots of rejections. It's shit, but you must try not to take it to heart.

NightNightBadger19962 Fri 30-Sep-16 15:58:41

Or the head might have delegated the shortlisting and is now embarrassed that whoever did the shortlisting did not select you from your application?

anotherdayanothersquabble Fri 30-Sep-16 15:58:52

Is there anything in your application that could have come as a surprise?

If not, I would email the head and say thanks for reaching out and asking you to apply and request feedback on your application with a view to understanding whether you should apply for any future positions that might become available. Hopefully you will get some honest feedback. (And hopefully it will be something like the position was withdrawn or they had an internal candidate / internal reshuffle )

Inyournightdress Fri 30-Sep-16 16:00:24

My brother works at school and one of his colleagues applied for a head of department post. The guy got a phone call from the head introducing herself and formally telling him that at this point he had not been acceptable but to look out for any posts with the school in future. The head hadn't even worked out that it was one of her own teachers she was talking to. A case of what I like to call, piss poor management.

But yes op that does seem odd. Have you asked for feedback on the application?

purplefox Fri 30-Sep-16 16:00:41

I'd email and request feedback.

Runny Fri 30-Sep-16 16:02:56

I don't think so. I proof read my application several times, there were definitely no mistakes. It wouldn't bother me half as much if I'd applied off my own steam, but the fact they've hunted me down maksa me think something is a miss.

Surely if the position was withdrawn wouldnt the email just say so?

Joolsy Fri 30-Sep-16 16:10:25

I would assume that the other applicants had more relevant experience than you, even though you may have alot already. When I applied for a TA position at a local school I didn't even get an interview - I asked for feedback and the Head Teacher said they had so many applicants they could afford to be extremely picky and they knew exactly what they were looking for and were not willing to compromise. I'd definitely ask for feedback

ellesbellesxxx Fri 30-Sep-16 16:12:17

The thing I thought of was when I read about you working through an agency.. The school would have had to buy you out of the agency.. It's possible they researched how much this would cost and realised it was too much?

FuzzyOwl Fri 30-Sep-16 16:12:34

I would just reply to the email to thank her for letting you know and ask if you can have some feedback to assist you if a future job came up.

ParanoidGynodroid Fri 30-Sep-16 16:18:41

I was going to say the same as Elles .
They may have discovered tbey d have to pay a release fee to your agencyagency.

But yes, do ask for feed back on your application so they'll have to give you more information.

ParanoidGynodroid Fri 30-Sep-16 16:19:41

Sorry my phone is drunk.

Solina Fri 30-Sep-16 16:21:03

In all honesty it probably was just a bad application compared to the people interviewed and they only have limited time for interviewing so can only interview the best. They need to treat everyone the same to not discriminate so I wouldnt take it personally.

I would suggest having someone look at the application to see what could be improved.

Runny Fri 30-Sep-16 16:23:28

A realise fee? I didn't even know that was a thing. Can the agency legally do that?

KnitsBakesAndReads Fri 30-Sep-16 16:34:15

I'd ask for feedback too. Don't let it knock your confidence too much though as there may well be an explanation that has nothing to do with the quality of your application.

A similar thing happened to me when I was asked to apply for another post in the company. I wasn't sure about it but to person who would have been my line manager was so encouraging that I felt I should go for it. They invited me to two interviews and at the second one the manager was acting as though I already had the job. I then got a phone call saying I didn't have enough experience. I was totally gutted for a couple of weeks until I found out that they'd unexpectedly lost funding for the project I'd have been working on so had shelved the new post but they weren't allowed to tell me that as it was still confidential.

I hope you get some answers from them soon.

SirRodneyEffing Fri 30-Sep-16 16:41:23

Yes the agency can charge an introduction fee, assuming it's in the contract they have with the school. (And also check the contract you have with the agency)

I once started work for a new employee after being introduced via an agency. He tried to fire me a month later when he received an invoice from the agency of 20 per cent of my annual salary plus vat.

For some reason he assumed the agency worked for free and almost fainted when he received the bill

Lazyafternoon Fri 30-Sep-16 16:50:51

If I were you I'd definitely reply asking for feedback.

Perhaps something along the lines of
"Thank you for your email. I'm sorry to hear I wasn't successful this time. Feedback on my application to improve my chances next time would be much appreciated. I would love to be considered again if other vacancies arise in future as I so enjoyed my placement with you last term."

BillSykesDog Fri 30-Sep-16 16:52:00

As it's a public sector job they have really strict criteria. You have to exactly demonstrate that you fulfill every (or almost all) criteria of the person specification on your application form. If you didn't they wouldn't have been able to take your application forward because if another candidate sued them for discrimination (for example) it would be an open and shut case against them because your application would clearly show you didn't meet the criteria where others did.

As they asked you to apply I really suspect this is what has happened and you missed the mark badly enough for them not to be able to take it forward.

I have had to do this in shortlisting. It sucks but you can't get round it, rules are very strict.

notthebees Fri 30-Sep-16 16:53:12

Could HT have been overruled by the governors?

itispersonal Fri 30-Sep-16 16:56:30

I'd probably say it would relate to the fee agency would require if they did hire you especially when they had asked agency for your details.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now