To feel a bit sad about this gift

(189 Posts)
Sendcoffeeandchocs Fri 30-Sep-16 14:31:05

OH has had flowers delivered for my birthday. I am very grateful for the gift and I know that I am lucky to have him.

However, I can't help feeling a little sad at the same time. The bouquet is pale pink and pale purple with a few white bits. These are colours that I just don't like. I do not wear anything in these colours, I do not buy anything for the house in these colours, and I avoid dressing our baby girl in these colours.
I have said to my OH so many times when I've bought flowers how much I love really brightly coloured ones.
He definitely knew what he was buying as the website they are from you choose by picture.

AIBU to feel a bit sad that after 9 years living together, he still doesn't know my taste at all?

rookiemere Fri 30-Sep-16 14:35:23

You may get different responses on this but I think YABABU. I probably wouldn't make the connection myself that not dressing in pale colours = not liking flowers in those colours.

fastdaytears Fri 30-Sep-16 14:37:03

I really don't think many men would notice the difference. He just thought he was doing a nice thing for you I reckon.

Aeroflotgirl Fri 30-Sep-16 14:37:07

My dh is not a hearts and flowers guy, so I would be happy with any flowers, don't say anything to him just yet, thank him for the beautiful flowers. Then wait a bit, and tell him though the flowers were beautiful, you particularly love ones that are red, yellow and orange for example.

HairsprayBabe Fri 30-Sep-16 14:37:25

It's nice he got you flowers, it's a shame they aren't to your taste. I wouldn't bother saying anything it would come across as ungrateful.

On the bright side at least they will die eventually and aren't a permanent feature in your living room.

Ausernotanumber Fri 30-Sep-16 14:38:01

If he got them delivered then the florist might have picked and he might just have set a budget.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 30-Sep-16 14:38:16

Yabu

BastardGoDarkly Fri 30-Sep-16 14:38:47

Yes YABU, seriously?! Ffs!

I've never worn yellow in my life, or bought anything for the house in yellow, but I'd love yellow flowers!

MrsBungle Fri 30-Sep-16 14:39:05

I would never buy someone flowers based on the colours they wear. I would pick what I thought was nice. I suppose if your DH is aware you only like certain ones yanbu but it really wouldn't be something I could get worked up about - all flowers are nice surely.

TaterTots Fri 30-Sep-16 14:39:53

Sorry to stereotype, but when you say 'I really love brightly coloured flowers; much better than pinks and purples', he probably hears 'blah blah flowers blah blah colour blah blah pink'.

NoFuchsGiven Fri 30-Sep-16 14:40:52

Yabu and quite ungrateful.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 30-Sep-16 14:41:09

grin Tater

AmeliaJack Fri 30-Sep-16 14:41:13

Oh for goodness sake.

Are the flowers pretty?
Were they sent with love?

You should be a little bit ashamed of yourself quite frankly.

TheWrathFromHighAtopTheThing Fri 30-Sep-16 14:41:50

Wee bit picky and ungrateful, I think.

allnewredfairy Fri 30-Sep-16 14:42:18

To my husband flowers is flowers is flowers. Colour wouldn't come into it. I think YABABU. He probably just thought 'they're pretty, I 'll buy 'em!'

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Fri 30-Sep-16 14:43:28

He probably doesn't equate 'I love bright flowers' with 'I really hate pink and purple flowers'.

Yabu but I'm sorry that you feel disappointed on your birthday. Hope the rest of the day is lovely for you flowers

Sendcoffeeandchocs Fri 30-Sep-16 14:44:51

I should probably add that I wouldn't dream of telling him!!
Also, I did say that I am lucky to have him, and grateful for the flowers.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much thinking that he might know my taste.sad

9oclockinthemorning Fri 30-Sep-16 14:45:06

LTB.

rookiemere Fri 30-Sep-16 14:45:30

Don't make it the case that after 10 years he knows you well enough to know that whatever he picks it won't be just right and therefore not good enough, so why bother.

rookiemere Fri 30-Sep-16 14:46:29

Cross posted - I'm glad you're not going to mention it to him. And why be sad?
He knows you like flowers, he went to the bother of organising them in advance so they would arrive on your birthday, that's a lot to be happy and grateful for.

FlyingElbows Fri 30-Sep-16 14:46:32

I think unless your husband is a very stylish gay man or an interior designer you're asking a bit too much. He's thinking "flowers, that's nice she'll like them". He's nothing "well O.M.G Jocelyn this season it just HAS to be pink, purple and white to co-ordinate with the chaise and the hand plucked angora throws or we might as well all just throw ourselves into the road!!!!!!!!!!!" I have no idea who Jocelyn is but I'm imagining some sort of uber groomed assistant. He's done a nice thing for you just appreciate it.

fastdaytears Fri 30-Sep-16 14:46:37

Elsa way to rub it in with pink and purple flowers...

Sparklesilverglitter Fri 30-Sep-16 14:46:50

I think yabu

I don't understand the problem. It's your birthday your OH has sent you a nice bunch of flowers. I would hate to think if I had gone to the effort of arranging delivery of flowers for somebody special to me they would think oh no I don't like them colours- it does sound rather ungrateful.

ThePinkOcelot Fri 30-Sep-16 14:47:03

My dad bought my man flowers for her birthday when they were married. After a few years she said, though she really loved the flowers she thought they were a bit of a waste of money. Guess what .... he never bought her them again, or gave the money. She should have kept her mouth shut.
A bit ungrateful OP. Like a pp, I never buy ppl flowers going off what they wear colour wise.

myownprivateidaho Fri 30-Sep-16 14:47:10

FFS, this can't be real surely?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now