to sell the expensive book?

(33 Posts)
bringmeataco Fri 30-Sep-16 09:45:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheFlis12345 Fri 30-Sep-16 09:48:44

Message again telling that he has until x date to collect or you will dispose of the items. Then sell and enjoy the proceeds!

CatThiefKeith Fri 30-Sep-16 09:49:04

I wouldn't sell it, it's not your property and you could get into hot water.

Can you not parcel his stuff up and give it to the mutual friend?

I have to say though, that from what you've said, cutting them out and not attending their wedding seems like a massive over reaction to me.

humblesims Fri 30-Sep-16 09:49:32

No you cant sell it. It doesnt belong to you.

Soubriquet Fri 30-Sep-16 09:51:32

Don't sell them

Go and dump them on his doorstep if your that bothered about them

I doubt they are taking up much room

PinkBrainsTasteGut Fri 30-Sep-16 09:51:55

YABU. Postage won't be that much. Pay it and post it and then it's done. Life is too short for drama.

APlaceOnTheCouch Fri 30-Sep-16 09:54:38

YABU. It's not your book. In the time it took you to Google how much the book cost and post on here, you could have posted the items back to him. Stop being so petty about postage. Send it back recorded delivery and then you don't need to think about them again.
(I have to agree with a PP - this all seems like a massive over-reaction for the fact you voluntarily drove him around for half a day. I'm guessing you didn't like your DH's friend before that happened).

acasualobserver Fri 30-Sep-16 09:55:55

Agree - post the items back and that's an end to it.

bringmeataco Fri 30-Sep-16 09:56:28

londonrach Fri 30-Sep-16 09:58:30

Not yours to sell ever. Contact him and ask him to remove items but certain date or else its going to charity or else dump off at family or friends.

ShowMeTheElf Fri 30-Sep-16 09:59:53

To summarize:
A friend asked you for a favour. You duly obliged.
You later found out that he had previously asked someone else (his Fiancee) for this favour and they had refused.
You told him that you would never do a favour for him again, boycotted his wedding and cut him out of your lives.
Did you flip out because you weren't the first person he asked (which would be bonkers) or because you didn't want to do the favour (in which case you should have said no initially) ?
So your current question is: Is it now acceptable to steal from him? Erm, no. It isn't. Just parcel the stuff up and post it back to him.

I don't think he was moaning about your husband, more bemoaning the fact that his old friend boycotted his wedding because of simple crossed wires and a little melodrama from you.

bringmeataco Fri 30-Sep-16 10:00:26

bringmeataco Fri 30-Sep-16 10:02:19

TheHobbitMum Fri 30-Sep-16 10:03:57

Personally I'd send one more message saying they have 7/14days to collect then (even though I know it's not right) I'd sell it. You've sent a message asking about it, they haven't replied, ask a final time then time to get rid.

Lweji Fri 30-Sep-16 10:06:42

I'd just give them a deadline, with silence taken as consent to do as you please.

scarednoob Fri 30-Sep-16 10:08:42

It's a tort - interference with goods. This explains it although you're not a landlord:

www.landlordlegalsolutions.co.uk/cms/document/Guide_to_tenants_possessions_left_at_property__LLS_.pdf

Purplepicnic Fri 30-Sep-16 10:12:44

Don't sell it, it's not yours. Put it in the boot of your car and next time you or someone you know is going in the right direction, leave it on their doorstep. Then you've not gone out of your way nor had to shell out.

bringmeataco Fri 30-Sep-16 10:13:01

shovetheholly Fri 30-Sep-16 10:18:50

Sometimes it's worth paying a bit of money to have someone out of your life.

DH had a friend who was a right PITA - he has a sadistic streak and likes to make other people feel uncomfortable. We literally did a lot for this guy to the point that it was eating into our spare time, yet one day he deliberately tried to upset and hurt both of us in public. Very calmly, we made it clear that we were upset, he flung off in a huff and we haven't really seen him since. He owes us a few hundred quid that he has never repaid. I regard it as a cheap amount to pay to get rid of him from our lives after what he did. Sometimes you just chalk these things up to experience.

StayAChild Fri 30-Sep-16 10:20:57

YWBU to sell any items belonging to this ex friend, I wouldn't want to post them on either as it might open up a new can of worms.
I would wrap them up and put them in your loft or somewhere you can't see them and forget about him. Sod's law, if you dispose of them he'll be back to claim them.

Memoires Fri 30-Sep-16 10:32:27

Don'td sell it, but don't send it to him either. He knows where it is, if he wants it he can organise getting it. Put it away somewhere and forget about it.

In twenty years, when you can't even remember his name, and your child comes across it when going through your stuff, you can decide what to do then.

Memoires Fri 30-Sep-16 10:33:56

Certainly don't waste any of your hard earned on posting it and def not recorded delivery. Just keep it quietly waiting for him to do something about it.

FeelingSmurfy Fri 30-Sep-16 10:34:52

I would send another message with a cut off date for collecting, and then send back without paying postage. That way you have given chances, and have been kind in returning and not getting rid, but you haven't had to pay!

scarednoob Fri 30-Sep-16 10:37:22

yep, my client landlords have this issue a lot. the stuff might be worthless, but you don't know that for sure, so you have to decide what to do.

the worst was when a tenant did a moonlight from one of those tatty tourist shops. the list for the torts notice came in and it was stuff like:

46 snowglobes
100 big ben statues
5000 pencils
3 plastic suitcases
400 "i heart leeds" sweatshirts

repeat for about 15 pages of a4 grin

Niloufes Fri 30-Sep-16 10:49:14

All seems a very trivial reason to end a friendship but you are where you are. If you really feel they were wrong in the first place I would not stoop to their level. I would box their stuff up and put it in your attic or garage and then forget about it until you really have no room for it or until they contact you about it. Don't sell the book, its not yours to sell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now