To want a phone holder for my car that *works*?

(19 Posts)
CarpeJugulum Wed 28-Sep-16 19:13:41

I have an iPhone, which I keep in a wallet case. I use my phone as a sat nav in the car on occasion, but I can't find a holder that accommodates the phone in the wallet - I keep having to pull it out of the holder to fit it in.

Has anyone come across a deep phone holder that will do what I need it to do? Please?!

SoupDragon Wed 28-Sep-16 19:16:28

I have one that is like a bulldog clip. It fits both my wallet encased iPhone and my garmin satnav.

The clip came from Primark with a sucker attachment but I fitted it onto the weighted stand I bought for my garmin from HLfords many years Go.

n0ne Wed 28-Sep-16 19:18:48

I saw an internet hack which I'm gonna try where they just knotted a hair band through the air vent

SoupDragon Wed 28-Sep-16 19:20:45

Like this only the suction mount they refer to is a built in part with a ball joint on the end!

NotCitrus Wed 28-Sep-16 19:33:30

I got one from Carphone Warehouse for about £15 recently - it has a ratchet so can take any width phone and can cope with my or DP's phones in their wallets.
I usually avoid CW for their total crapness but this thing does work.

Threebedsemii Wed 28-Sep-16 19:34:26

I'm totally with you OP- the suction never sticks. In fact suction pads on anything never work. Grrr

Offler Wed 28-Sep-16 19:38:00

Car phone holder hack

Theoretician Wed 28-Sep-16 20:05:17

I have the holder below. The suction is so strong that I can put the phone in with one hand without it coming loose. (i.e. just push on one of the spring-loaded clamps open with the edge of the phone until the space is big enough, then push the phone into place.) The holder stays in place on the windscreen year-after-year. (Actually the clamp spring broke once, but they sent me a new clamp under warranty.)

www.amazon.co.uk/WinnerGear-Genuine-Universal-Smartphone-Samsung/dp/B00BZWW3ES/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475089192&sr=8-1&keywords=montar

Theoretician Wed 28-Sep-16 20:07:41

Sorry, not sure if that will work with a wallet case. It will take any size phone in any size case, but I don't know if wallets can be folded so the cover isn't in the way.

OnlyAFoolsChance Wed 28-Sep-16 20:24:50

I have one that attaches via a 4 way claw thing to the air vents, and is adjustable in width. Will try find a link x

YelloDraw Wed 28-Sep-16 20:26:32

I have one of these - its great www.breffo.com/pages/spiderpodium

OnlyAFoolsChance Wed 28-Sep-16 20:26:58

www.lupostore.co.uk/lupo-car-universal-air-vent-mobile-phone-cradle-holder-mount/

This - really beneficial for both OH and I as we have different phones and its a case of just sliding it in and it adjusts simply to hold any size of phone

babybeets Wed 28-Sep-16 20:27:25

A 'breffo' from Tesco! Great thing which looks like a spider...and cheap.

CarpeJugulum Wed 28-Sep-16 20:30:48

Love the spider mount... but I hate having my phone on a vent; placement in my car is odd and my phone does get very hot sad

It's definitely a depth issue; with the wallet it's fine width wise with adjustable clips, it's just it's about 1.5-2cm deep (I don't have a ruler to hand) as it has a front, back, cards and phone to accommodate IYSWIM?

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Wed 28-Sep-16 21:12:34

If your phone has a tendency to get hot I'd take it out of the wallet to be honest. And then if you can clip it in front of an air vent you can cool it down.

I'm after a holder too. Mine has disintegrated.

SistersOfPercy Wed 28-Sep-16 21:39:26

I have one of these from Amazon. Cost me about £3.50 delivered.
It fits into the CD slot on your car then expands to lock into place. Obviously if you use your CD player or change CD's a lot then it's probably not for you, but I use Bluetooth so ideal for me.

It's bulldog style spring clip and actually also fits my very large TomTom too.

Strifae64 Thu 29-Sep-16 13:40:14

If your car is the right layout the CD-Slot is a fantastic phone holder

GeminiRising Thu 29-Sep-16 14:07:57

If your car is the right layout the CD-Slot is a fantastic phone holder

^ yep, I have one too. really solid and takes all sizes of phones, you can even get an ipad mount for it too.

www.cdslotmount.com/

hellsbellsmelons Thu 29-Sep-16 14:25:13

I got THIS and it works well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now